“A little expensive for what it is”
Review of Admiral House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Douglas
Admiral House
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Douglas
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“A little expensive for what it is”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

we stayed here the night before a friends wedding. We booked it last minute it was £80 B&B for two people it was nice enough and fairly clean (need to dust the picture rail in the bathroom), however breakfast took a while and they forgot to bring half of what we ordered out. the Hotel is above a late night bar so can be a little noisy however we were two floors up so only heard people as they were leaving the place down the side street. The bed was comfy and the room had everything we required, however we stayed outside Douglas the second night in Mount Murray this hotel was half the price but 10 times better !!

Room Tip: I can imagine the rooms at the front with a bay view would be a little more appealing than our fire...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Excellent hotel on the sea front - central for shops and restaurants too ! We had a family suite - which was good value for money. The cooked breakfast in the cafe was first class and the staff were all really friendly and helpful

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Warrington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2012

This hotel was recomended by a customer, never again, the beds were very hard pillows even harder the decor was very tired and the lift groaned more than i would if i had climbed 3 flights of stairs,all staff had a smile but that was all, it says they have digital television no BBC 1,2 ITV and Channel 4, when i asked why apparently the digital had broken 5 weeks ago.
Breakfast was ok , didn't eat in resturant as it was very expensive and no real choice.
went to bar at night wanted to watch football as there was only 4 of us in bar but told we could but with no sound as the bar manager wanted to listen to music.
As an aside although not the hotels fault parking, it is plain daft that we had to go out and move the cars every 2 hours as if not we would get parking ticket,Hotels should be able to give guest a pass.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 1964Blueboy47
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I have stayed here several times on business (client chose the hotel). I have to say I was pleasantly surprised as the website makes it look like a 1970's B&B (they need to sort the website out)! It is actually a nice hotel in a good location, clean and the rooms comfortable. It is let down a little by some minor, poor maintenance and care taken in the rooms. In the three rooms I've stayed in, I've had a radiator almost hanging off the wall, radiators not working and curtains that don't cover the windows, etc. It's a shame that these basic things are not put right as it's a very nice hotel and the staff very poilte and helpful. I haven't eaten in the resturant, but breakfast was good.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Manchester
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Just come back from a very enjoyable stay at the Admiral House. Mostly good things to say and with just one negative observation.
All the staff we had dealings with were absolutely fantastic. Check in was brilliant - we were able to check in early so we didn't have too carry our luggage around for 2 hours while exploring. Any time we approached reception for help or information we were met with smiles and helpfulness. Even a maid we came across on the stairs was concerned that we were lost (we were - rather embarassingly) and showed us where to go. So 10 out of 10 for the staff.
Location was pretty good too - at one end of the prom close to the sea terminal. We got on a bus from the airport and jumped off at the first stop on the prom and there it was. We were lucky enough to get a room overlooking Douglas Bay so the view was delightful. The room was really spacious - I think we had an upgrade. The shower, which in a hotel I often find to be tricky, was simple to operate. Still and sparkling water was supplied with the tea/coffee which was very welcome.
Associated with the Hotel is a restaurant JAR which I think has a good reputation locally because someone recommended it to us. However, we didn't eat there. There was limited choice on the menu, it was pretty expensive and it has customers in suits and jackets - not really my scene. Neither was the JAR bar judging by the music we heard as we went past one evening. The breakfast is served there so you get to see the decor - all different rooms with comfy chair and dance floors. Not my cup of tea.
Which brings me to breakfast about the only average thing I could find about the Admiral House. Firstly, it was served in a JAR Bar room and the chairs were too laid back for me. The cold selection was limited compared with other places I have stayed, though adequate. On the first day I had the cooked breakfast and it was average at best. Nothing was hot though the bacon was pretty crispy. The sausages were thin lacklustre. It gave the impression it had been sitting around, though it was cooked to order. We were given only one tea/coffee with no offer of refills, maybe they were available if we had asked.
In summary, a great Hotel with wonderful staff let down only by a mediocre breakfast.
In anycase, I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Crystal58
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2011

This hotel has amazing potential - but it falls far short of the standards it needs to reach. I have stayed in it twice - for 2 nights both times. First time is was passable, but the second time the standards had gone even further down.
The rooms are very cold. I had to bleed the radiators, but still insufficient heat came through. The curtains were made of some very still material that meant you couldn't actually get them to close. The double bed was fitted with a single sheet - so that one's feet stuck out into the blankets at the bottom. Just when I was ready to go to sleep I had to remake my bed with the sheet the night porter brought up. The single sheet that had been fitted to the bed was covered in holes that looked like cigarette burns.
The decor is very tired. The light switches at the bed are such that you need to get out of bed to turn off the lights!
The lift is small and slow.
The Breakfast "buffet" just isn't what you get on the mainland.
The chances are when you go to reception there will be no one behind the counter!
There are 2 great points to this hotel - Very Good Coffee Shop & a great (but VERY expensive) restaurant. If the bedrooms were as good as the restaurant ... well ... how different this review would be.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JamesDeans86
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2011

My partner and I visited the Isle of Man for a weekend away and stayed at Admiral House, We found the hotel to be the perfect place for a weekend break. The location was superb as were the staff. The JAR restaurant on the first floor was amazing-one of the best meals I have had. I will definately be returning

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple