“Very Enjoyable Stay”
Review of Admiral House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Douglas
Admiral House
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Douglas
Manchester
“Very Enjoyable Stay”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Just come back from a very enjoyable stay at the Admiral House. Mostly good things to say and with just one negative observation.
All the staff we had dealings with were absolutely fantastic. Check in was brilliant - we were able to check in early so we didn't have too carry our luggage around for 2 hours while exploring. Any time we approached reception for help or information we were met with smiles and helpfulness. Even a maid we came across on the stairs was concerned that we were lost (we were - rather embarassingly) and showed us where to go. So 10 out of 10 for the staff.
Location was pretty good too - at one end of the prom close to the sea terminal. We got on a bus from the airport and jumped off at the first stop on the prom and there it was. We were lucky enough to get a room overlooking Douglas Bay so the view was delightful. The room was really spacious - I think we had an upgrade. The shower, which in a hotel I often find to be tricky, was simple to operate. Still and sparkling water was supplied with the tea/coffee which was very welcome.
Associated with the Hotel is a restaurant JAR which I think has a good reputation locally because someone recommended it to us. However, we didn't eat there. There was limited choice on the menu, it was pretty expensive and it has customers in suits and jackets - not really my scene. Neither was the JAR bar judging by the music we heard as we went past one evening. The breakfast is served there so you get to see the decor - all different rooms with comfy chair and dance floors. Not my cup of tea.
Which brings me to breakfast about the only average thing I could find about the Admiral House. Firstly, it was served in a JAR Bar room and the chairs were too laid back for me. The cold selection was limited compared with other places I have stayed, though adequate. On the first day I had the cooked breakfast and it was average at best. Nothing was hot though the bacon was pretty crispy. The sausages were thin lacklustre. It gave the impression it had been sitting around, though it was cooked to order. We were given only one tea/coffee with no offer of refills, maybe they were available if we had asked.
In summary, a great Hotel with wonderful staff let down only by a mediocre breakfast.
In anycase, I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Crystal58

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2011

This hotel has amazing potential - but it falls far short of the standards it needs to reach. I have stayed in it twice - for 2 nights both times. First time is was passable, but the second time the standards had gone even further down.
The rooms are very cold. I had to bleed the radiators, but still insufficient heat came through. The curtains were made of some very still material that meant you couldn't actually get them to close. The double bed was fitted with a single sheet - so that one's feet stuck out into the blankets at the bottom. Just when I was ready to go to sleep I had to remake my bed with the sheet the night porter brought up. The single sheet that had been fitted to the bed was covered in holes that looked like cigarette burns.
The decor is very tired. The light switches at the bed are such that you need to get out of bed to turn off the lights!
The lift is small and slow.
The Breakfast "buffet" just isn't what you get on the mainland.
The chances are when you go to reception there will be no one behind the counter!
There are 2 great points to this hotel - Very Good Coffee Shop & a great (but VERY expensive) restaurant. If the bedrooms were as good as the restaurant ... well ... how different this review would be.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JamesDeans86
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2011

My partner and I visited the Isle of Man for a weekend away and stayed at Admiral House, We found the hotel to be the perfect place for a weekend break. The location was superb as were the staff. The JAR restaurant on the first floor was amazing-one of the best meals I have had. I will definately be returning

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Homer055
London
Reviewed October 24, 2010

1 LOCATION: The hotel is easy to find. I took a taxi from the airport and it took around 20 minutes to get there. 2 BUILDING: From the outside, the building looks good and clean. Inside, it's a different story. There are MANY things to improve! It is so much in need of a clean up / refurbishment. 3 WELCOME: Average welcome! I Noting special! Please, even if the hotel is quite, make the effort for your guests! 4 ROOMS: A little dirty. Old furnitures. Air-con very noisy, not enough light, etc... 5 BATHROOM: Same as for the room! 6: DINNER: n/a, I had dinner out. 7 OVERALL: I definitely won't go back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank lefrancais
Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed October 1, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a week on the Isle of Man. I am always anxious about booking over the internet as pictures and reviews can be deceiving. In this case we were not NOT disappointed, but we thrilled with the Admiral House. The location is perfect in that it overlooks the bay and is only a very short walk to the sea terminal and the bus depot, both of which provide easy access to the other parts of the island. Our room (401) was very spacious, well appointed and charming with lovely views; the bathroom was also large, immaculate and I believe had been recently redone. We can't say enough about the staff; friendly, helpful and very accommodating to all our needs and requests. Everyone we met at the hotel made every effort to make us feel "at home" at the Admiral House. We loved it and highly recommend it for anyone traveling to IOM.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anne35904
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2010

The location was just right for the Port, Shops, Promenade, Electric trams and lots of other amenities. Our room was a good size with good service from the friendly staff. Breakfast was a good quality and plenty of it. The hotel restaurant was a little expensive, we did not use it, but ate out in local restaurants close by.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GAD_and_LPD
us
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Recenlty stayed 3 nights at the Admiral. 2 rooms 60 GBP/night each
This is a great hotel: Clean, spacious rooms and bathrooms, beautiful view of the harbor. Hotel is located on the main promenade so buses and horse carriage are readily available.
5 min walk to the ferry terminal and tourist office (located inside).

Customer service could use some help, but maybe she was just having a bad day.

Highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family