“Fabulous accomodation, friendly staff, cleanest place I've stayed in ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Welbeck Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Welbeck Hotel
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Douglas
Wirral, United Kingdom
“Fabulous accomodation, friendly staff, cleanest place I've stayed in ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

I stayed at the Welbeck with my mum and son for 3 nights and was a bit worried how big our family room would be...we were upgraded on arrival to one of theapartments which was fantastic, the staff could not do enough for us, the reception staff, bar staff and breakfast staff were all friendly and polite. The hotel was spotless and the apartment the cleanest accommodation I have ever stayed in, would recommend for families especially.

• Stayed April 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

Can only repeat what other reviewers have said. Clean, spacious rooms and super staff. Chatting at the bar about my love of seafood I was offered a mixed platter, even though it wasn't on the menu, to enable me to try a range rather than choose. This is not my first trip and I love the fact that I can stay for 2 weeks and eat a different fish dish every night!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Middlesex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

The Isle of Man is a bit of a catering industry desert so it's good to find a hotel like the Welbeck where the standards are reasonably high. Comfortable, attractive, spacious rooms, free wifi, satellite TV channels, helpful and friendly service - and a very good breakfast menu; try the Manx kippers with soft poached eggs. The shore at Douglas is only a few yards away down the hill, where you can watch the Irish Sea being whipped into a frenzy by the wind. No real complaints. The Welbeck does what it does with honesty and care.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2009

An excellent family run hotel with well appointed rooms and very helpful staff. Have stayed there on three occasions for business and can throughly recommend the Welbeck for work or pleasure even if on a budget. Whilst not in the centre of Douglas, it is a short walk (10-15 mins) from what passes as the thriving centre of Douglas! It is just off the main promenade and a stones throw to the beach and seafront. There is a small Spar grocery less than 5 minutes away on seafront for newspapers, wine, etc. The hotel offers the use of the gym and pool at the nearby Hilton and offers internet access in the bar and free Wi-fi throughout- Hooray! other hotels in the UK please take note - but then of course the IoM isn't in the UK!so change any money before returning - the friendly hotel staff will do this if they can before you leave. Have only eaten bar meals which are fine and from all accounts the restaurant is very popular with locals as it always seems busy. All the rooms I stayed in had a small fridge with complementary water, a small settee, iron & ironing board, trouser press etc Bathrooms were clean and have usual toiletries etc. Overall the Welbeck offers v good value for money (the double room was £53...not sure if breakfast was included or if the people who booked it got a special rate ..). I'd definitely recommend a stay for business/pleasure and whilst I'm sure there are other fancier places ..I rather liked the Welbeck for its unpretentiousness and friendly atmosphere. Boutique it isn't but then it depends want you want....!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank CharlesandFiona
Greater Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2009

This hotel was recommendd to me and lived up to its reputation. My deluxe room was huge and very comfy, with every little extra you might want or need. Everything was spotlessly clean and the staff were really helpful. Breakfast was comprehensive, including fresh fruit salad with strawberries. There was a friendly air without being in your face. Total cost £59 bed and breakfast.

There is also access to a gym and spa, although I didn't have chance to take advantage of this.

Minor drawbacks - staff not always on reception and it was unclear how best to attract somebody's attention; the location, a bit out of the town centre although near the sea and location woud have been fine if the weather had been good; and finally, as there were storms, rain dripped onto my balcony making a pinging noise in the night.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank ShazyD
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2009

My wife and I were in Douglas and, having seen the Welbeck's website offering a 4 course dinner for £ 20 we were tempted by the value. At that price we were not expecting too much but we were wrong. From the moment we entered the Restaurant until we left we were made feel welcome by the friendly and efficient staff and treated to a quite superb meal. So good was it that we decided to invite friends of ours, who were staying in a different part of the island, to join us for dinner there a few nights later. Our experience on our first visit was so good that we were half expecting that our return would not be quite as good. We shouldn't have had any such misgivings however as the same high standards were in evidence. We also liked the fact that the menu on our second visit was completely different from our first visit. Overall I couldn't recommend this restaurant highly enough. Well done to all concerned

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SteveOC_9
North Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2009

My wife and I have just returned from a four day break at the Welbeck hotel which was booked with magic holidays, as we were able to transport our car at a reasonable price. We were very impressed with the hotel having a room with a sea view on the fourth floor, with fabulous views over Douglas Bay.
The staff in the restaurant were first class and the decor of the hotel is to be admired. Breakfasts were excellent and we look forward to returning in the near future. We enjoyed travelling around the Island and revisiting places we had not visited for some time. Well Done The Welbeck

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple