“not a 4 star hotel”
Review of Acacia Boutique

Acacia Boutique
Ranked #36 of 37 Douglas B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 18, 2013

nice people working in the reception, but certainly not a 4 star hotel, lots of stairs and very tight when taking bags to the rooms, breakfast was excellent and hot,

Room we had was not the best as it was very small and the view of a closed down Hotel/Shop was not the best, I would like to say also that we paid £ 85.00 each evening we stayed two nights no way was this rate a good rate we could have got more for our money elsewhere in Douglas.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without lots of stairs to get to!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jdav777

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My sister won a free night here and we stayed recently. We had a sea view with lovely windows that we opened wide to watch everyone on the promenade. Our room was well decorated and the beds were comfy. The breakfast was the best Full English I had on my three week trip around the region. A nice place...hope it succeeds.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Got the basics? Bed AND breakfast? Weakest property on our current tour fell short of expectations. Very clean & tidy or rating drops a notch. 1st time in over 40 years of staying in B&B's in British Isles, unable to get a cuppa tea with morning 'breakfast'. Seems the nice gentleman in charge of early 'service' can operate a coffee machine but cannot boil water?Travelling on early ferry with taxi ordered for 0650h we departed sans morning cuppa tea. Heavily Sugar laden cereals, pre packaged sugar filled 'danish', sugary yoghurt pre paks comprised the 'Continental breakfast. Poor nights sleep on uncomfortable LOW bed in tiny room. Up two flights of tight steps. View to the rear of property was a coupla walls. Bath was clean as we said, or rating drops a notch. Not value for $, as 80 quid paid in advance would suggest. Relative to other accommodation on I O M in our experience this one falls short of the mark. Get the 'basics' going and might be a better experience? 4 stars? whom we would inquire awarded those?

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2013

A comfortable and well appointed place for sight seeing - close to the electric train for Laxey wheel and Ramsey. The Station pub near the electric train/tram sells local beer and the staff are friendly.
The Acacia boutique was not what I was expecting from the description. It was very clean and comfortable and I had a lovely sea view but I would not rate it 4 star because of the lack of a reception area or lobby or place to "hang out" during the day or arrange to meet friends.

Room Tip: The hotel is over a Thai restaurant so the name of the hotel is not very visible which does not make...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Picanya60
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed for St. Valentine's night and it turned out SO DISAPPOINTING compared to the photos and initial impression! The room looked very nice but the look was as much as could be relied upon.
The seating area of the bedroom had mould on the walls. This wasn't a small patch around a corner of a window: This was about 10" inches long travelling down the wall.
The bed was actually 2 singles put together and not a double. Both my partner and I kept slipping down the gap created by the omission of a simple mattress topper!
The bathroom was akin to that of a hostel from the 1970's. It was mouldy with cracked tiles, had dust and dirt on the fixtures and even still had the installation sticker on the toilet cistern which had been half ripped off making it look like it was a building site after thought. The ill fitting linoleum was dirty and clearly part of the original bathroom decor.
When we first saw the bathroom, I thought about going to ask to be moved but as the bedroom and seating area had SEEMED so nice, we decided to put up with it. I regretted that decision when after a fantastic evening out along Douglas Prom, we came back and discovered that the bed was not what it seemed. Both of us got very little sleep due to the gap. As it was 2am by the time we came in and discovered this, it would have been futile to try to get moved as we had already spoken to the night porter who was only concerned that we had interrupted his kitchen prep duties.
We had told the staff on booking in that we would come down for breakfast around 9.30 with the kitchen closing at 10am. We were called in our room at 9.10 by the breakfast waitress who asked if we were coming down as they wanted to close the kitchen. We went down for 9.30 and were given breakfast which was served on chipped plates with chipped cups. The tea had been made with water from the hot tap. A delightful touch to go with the soup kitchen crockery.
When I complained and asked about either a reduction or a free night, I was told the owner would be called and to speak to them. The information was then delivered by the breakfast waitress that the owner would not give any recompense for my complaints. I told them that I intended only paying what I considered the room to be worth (£50 of the £75 booked) and was told it was too late as they had already taken the money from my account. I left my mobile number and asked that the owner call me. I have today (19/02/13) called the guest house to be told she must have forgotten and I should call back after 4pm.
I called back and spoke to someone who purported to be Melody Crosby, the proprietor. She basically told me that as I hadn't immediately raised any concerns, they couldn't tell if it was us staying there that had caused the dirt and mould in the bathroom! I then couldn't get a word in edgeways to explain and got the phone put down on me when I wanted her to shut up long enough for me to tell her the full complaint. She got particularly shirty when I asked why the photo of that bathroom hadn't been used in the gallery if she was so proud of it.
Avoid The Acacia unless you can put up with half baked, window dressed shabbiness.

Room Tip: One in another hotel on the prom.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank 6MarkE
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I travel all over for my job and have been visiting the Isle of Man for 18 months. Stopping in the Palace (tired buidling, rooms and staff) and the Regency (trying to be upmarket when it clearly isn't) I found this little gem.

Okay so there isn't a lift and this should be borne in mind but there are only 12 rooms and a lift isn't required.

The wireless now works in the rooms (I am currently in room 6 on the second floor and no issues) so really happy, I can even Facetime home (the wife is not so happy when I FT her in the morning as she wakes up :) )

The food in the restaurant is excellent, obviously i have my favourite dinners and 'chilli heat' (go Thai Hot of you like chilliness but be warned, it can be hot).

The rooms at the front are a good size (I can't comment on the others as I haven't stayed in them(, the beds really comfortable and big and all in all I love this place. Not worn out, not ostentatious, just small, well managed and 'nice'.

The staff are all great and try really hard to provide a great service. Shame I only take a continental breakfast as i would be huge if it was a full English every day but on the odd occasion I do (once every 3 weeks or so) it is great.

As I say, I stop here all the time and would recommend the Acacia to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Petecheshire
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for one night as a treat for my wifes 50th birthday.We had the suite which overlooked the promenade with a bacony.The room was spacious and clean with a massive bed which was very comfortable and also had ironing facilitys and tea and coffee in the room. We dined in the Manilla garden restaurant this is attatched to the hotel and is part of it. The thai fusion food was absolutely delicious, and i will deffinately be going again.All the staff where very attentive and polite.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple