“Fantastic ...........”

Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We ate at the Tickethall on the Friday supper club event. 3 absolutely fantastic courses, each one cooked and presented to perfection. Between us we had Queenies ( 3 ways ), a deconstructed Waldord salad with smoked cjcken, smoked duck and smoked salmon for starters. Mains were herb crusted rack of lamb and slow cooked beef and we both had Gooosberry, Apple and Treacle crumble for pudding.
Add to the fantastic food the fact that you can bring your own tipples made this the best overall eating experience for a long, long time if ever!

There are newer reviews for The Tickethall

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I was visiting friends in the IOM and they took me here. Great quality of food for the price. The manx local food is worth sampling especially the steaks. There is no alcohol so you take your own which I liked and certainly seemed popular.

Overall a great atmosphere and enjoyable evening.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Went for a meal at The Tickethall on one of their 'Supper Club' nights on Friday 31 Jan.Excellent meal and service
.Was very impressed with the personal attention to all the diners by Steve the owner/chef.
Will definately going again soon

1  Thank ArdAalin
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Firstly, they forgot our reservation (which was made over a month earlier). Secondly, we were sat next to back door. Do not accept this table unless you like to freeze every time someone wants to go to the toilet (which was every couple of minutes!), we asked to be moved and to be fair, we were moved without hesitation. Which makes me wonder if all newcomers are sat here?!

I asked when I originally contacted them with my reservation, if they catered for vegetarians. "We're a 90% vegetarian restaurant during the day so whatever we've cooked then we'll have for the evening, there will be a choice of a few dishes" I was told. Upon arriving, there was NOT ONE starter on the menu that was vegetarian, and in the mains there was ONE dish - a fairly unassuming pasta option (yawn). This was noted on the menu with with cream & spinach. Upon arrival it was penne pasta with mushrooms and thin cream and with what seemed like a whole tub of dried mixed herbs upended in the dish. It was inedible. The bill came & I was charged for 2 courses - I queried this only to be told you were charged for either 2 courses or 3. I asked that, as there was nothing on the starters menu (despite being forewarned & told there'd be plenty of choice) that was meat-free could I pay just for the course I had eaten? Absolutely not, it's a set charge I was told, so you might as well get a dessert as you're paying for it. So, I decided to go for the cheeseboard. Only there were no crackers & only a couple of ends of cheese. I asked very politely if there was any more cheese, a young waitress came out with a grubby looking box & un-clingfilmed some little stubs of cheese that looked as though they'd spent the best part of their lives in said plastic container! She wiped her hands on her uniform then handled the cheese pieces, wiped her hands again on her uniform & left. Yum. I had a little but felt rather uneasy at the unhygienic practice I had just witnessed so left feeling extremely unsatisfied. I was unfortunately violently sick later that evening with the taste of dried mixed herbs leaving a vile after-taste. If ever I see another meal containing them ever again I'm sure I'll feel ill! My dining partner's meal was not quite as disappointing but he didn't enjoy it. Soggy fish, he said after reading the reviews he was shocked it was so bad & he'd never return. We had such high aspirations, and looked like we were not the only unhappy diners - a large table upstairs had the chef/proprietor upstairs having a battle of wills for 10-15 minutes.

Would like to say that we'd give anywhere a second chance & we'd return one day to see if we had a better experience, and we always do, but not here I'm afraid. Sorry! The only time I'd go back would be during a lunchtime to try the various salads & vegetarian food. My other half would never return though he says as he was so let down by the food & service.

Would have been a terrible waste of a Saturday night - but we stopped by Tesco on the way home, bought a couple of bottles of bubbly & went home to cheer ourselves up - so all wasn't lost!

5  Thank Deckchairjim
Reviewed December 19, 2013

As a fan of a full English breakfast the Tickethall has been a place I've visited on several occasions but never before posted a review. The breakfast elements are of a consistently high standard, favourably comparable with anything else in Douglas. The service is always friendly, efficient and the service on a shovel adds to the experience. Good value for money too.