“Excellent service & food”
Review of 14 North

14 North
Ranked #3 of 161 Restaurants in Douglas
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Brilliant food and service from the guys, they also have Bath & Bottle which is fantastic, definitely my favourite restaurant in Douglas, and a great place to liven up Douglas Quay!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I visited The Isle of Mann at the beginning of August and as a self confessed foodie was keen to visit various spots on the Island where I had heard the food was particularly good. I had reserved a space in my schedule to visit 14 North on my last night there as I had heard that the food, atmosphere and overall restaurant experience was exceptional. And I have to say, I was not disappointed.

On entering the restaurant we were greeted by a friendly, warm waitress who immediately took us to our table and rather than overloading us straight away with the specials and drinks menu (a pet peeve of mine), let us take our time getting settled in the romantic, atmospheric, quayside location (indeed if it was any more "Quayside" we would be in the water!). I then ordered a Prosecco lightly perfumed with an Elderflower cordial, which I sipped opulently while the waitress reeled off the details of every dish on the menu with an astounding amount of enthusiasm, passion and local knowledge that really got my tastebuds revved up.

After much deliberation I ordered the Queenies and pesto resting on their shells, and the Chicken Liver and Foie Gras Parfait for starter. The queenies were lightly dusted with Parmesan and this served to really bring out the saltiness and enhanced the juicy local delicacy whilst the pesto balanced this out with a soft, velvety ease. The Chicken Liver Parfait was rich and luxurious, although not too rich as to completely fill me up. The shallot and sultana chutney that accompanied it really was a masterpiece. Its sticky and sweet consistency perfectly contrasting with the softness of the Parfait. Delicious.

For my mains I ordered the rib eye steak, a slight cop out when given the mouthwatering choice, but what can I say? I am a steak guy! (plus I was intrigued by the oxtail stuffed Tomatoes that accompanied the dish) I ordered Medium Rare and that is exactly what I received. A generous pink cut of meat, slightly charred on the outside as I had asked for. The meat itself was a High Quality cut. Juicy and tender. Perfect. Amongst one of the best steaks I have ever eaten, and given that the best was at Jamie's Barbecoa, 14 North can consider itself in good company. The accompanying veg was fresh, cooked to perfection, and portioned well, really making a simple choice of vegetables (parmentier potatoes and mushrooms) sit perfectly justified with the steak. The Oxtail Stuffed Tomatoes were unusual, but delicious, and something I have tried to recreate in my kitchen at home, but I simply cannot. I put this down to the magic of local ingredients from The Isle and not my lack of cooking skills....of course.

I skipped dessert on this occasion, and opted for a Sauvignon Blanc. The atmosphere in the restaurant by this time was buzzing and I felt that I would like to sip a glass of crisp white whilst looking out onto the Quay. 14 North really has smoothly and quietly cruised past a few of the inner city London spots that I have eaten and elegantly, perched itself near the top of my list, again in good company with some of the top spots in London trying to elbow it out the way.

I spoke to Phil Taylor, the owner of the restaurant after my meal and asked him if he had thought about opening a restaurant in the capital, but on reflection, part of the magic of that meal, besides the exquisite cuisine, was the fact that I could digest my food in the crisp, fresh air of Douglas rather than the muggy, stifling air of the city. 14 North stands as an ambassador for local produce, passionate cooking, excellent service, and all in all a dining experience not to be missed.

1  Thank Foodie8121988
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Overall, very high quality experience.

Starters good, mains excellent, would highly recommend both pork & lamb dishes.

Personally, disagree with previous reviewer regarding value. Prices (just under £20 for main course) are typical for an evening menu and portions were better than some other places I've been. There was enough potato & veg in with all the dishes on our table that we had plenty, unlike some places where you need to order sides as well.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

The quality of service and food here is excellent. Everything is fresh and local. The food tastes amazing. My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The only thing I would add as a negative is the price and portion sizes. It has a big price tag with very small portions, my partner had to have something to eat afterwards which is never a good sign. For the price you pay a bigger portion is expected. What there was of it was delicious though. We will definately visit again.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Ate here twice during recent visit to Island. Once with a party of 10 and once with 5. The food was delicious each time , the service was quietly efficient and the atmosphere was great. A memorable evening each time Cant wait to go back next year..