Sefton Hotel
The Welbeck Hotel(Douglas)
$123
$116
  • Breakfast included
The Chesterhouse Hotel(Douglas)(Great Value!)
$102
$87
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
The Rutland Hotel(Douglas)(Great Value!)
$102
$76
Regency Hotel(Douglas)
$179
  • Restaurant
All reviewsatrium roomnorman wisdomsir normansgrand hotelisle of manthe harbour lights restaurantswimming poolbalcony overlookingseparate showercar parkbreakfast roomgaiety theatrelovely hotelduty managerbar foodbreakfast staffdouglas bay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We stayed here for three nights in March and did not sleep well for any of the nights. The first room we were given had an industrial extractor outside the window and even though the receptionist said it would quieten down at night we insisted on a new room. We were quickly 'upgraded' to an atrium room. The main issue with the room was the heat - it was like a sauna - and with no outside windows we could not cool it down = three very uncomfortable nights. When we informed reception of the temperature they apologised but not very convincingly and blamed the current 'heat-wave'. My next issue was with breakfast - very poor quality and the staff were miserable and rude, barely recognising guests entering the room. The juice was just nasty and the bread cheap sliced rubbish. Don't waste money paying extra for breakfast - a short walk down the high street is the Chocolate Fairy cafe - excellent food and not over priced.
On the plus side the rooms and bathrooms are very big and probably quite nice if you have an outside room. The gym is good and the pool looked nice. There is also limited free parking under the hotel. The hotel is in a great location on the prom.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kchristian
Reviewed March 23, 2012

We have just returned from a four night stay at the Sefton, in a lovely room (more a suite really) with a wonderful view of Douglas Bay. There was some traffic noise in the morning but this did not detract from our experience. Unlike the previous reviewer, our bathroom looked newly refurbished, with bidet and walk-in shower, also a bath and plenty of hot water. There was plenty of storage space, a hospitality tray and a small fridge for our fresh milk (available on request). The bed was extremely comfortable, and we appreciated the free Wi-Fi.
We ate in the hotel each night of our stay, three nights in the more formal Gallery Restaurant, where the food was delicious and well presented, the staff were polite and efficient and the wine list was good value. Because the Gallery is closed on Sunday evenings we ate in Sir Norman's Bar, which serves brasserie-style food in a very informal setting. Once again the food was good and the service was quick.
The hotel is well placed for both shopping and theatres and has the wonderful facility of secure, undercover car-parking at the rear which is FREE!
We could not speak too highly of the Sefton Hotel and would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: We would advise a room at the front for the wonderful view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Molecatcher
Reviewed March 22, 2012

It is difficult to find a good hotel in the Isle of Man-shaming really, as the island is quite beautiful in places (though Douglas is not one of those places!). The Sefton is well placed, and externally looks well cared for, if a bit old fashioned (but this IS the Isle of Man). The bedrooms are variable- some are OK, some are far from OK. The room I had was large and overlooked the rather dusty 'atrium', but since this was November I didn't make use of the little balcony. The bed was comfortable and the free WiFi worked well and was useful. My big problem was the bathroom- very old fashioned and very much in need of a refurb, but I could have forgiven this if the water had been hot. I had had a long and stressful journey so was longing for a hot shower. Having run the shower for about 10 minutes with no hot water I phoned Reception. The young lady said she would 'check the boiler'. She called back to say the boiler was fine, and I just needed to let the water run for a while. Teeth chattering, I explained I had already done this. She said she would 'send someone to check'. No one appeared for about 20 minutes, by which time, I'd given up and had a cold shower, so was a little less than polite with the young man who eventually knocked at the door. I decided a nice meal would cheer me up, so I found my way via a series of strange corridors and stairways in Sir Norman's Piano Bar. The noise was awful- a mixture of too loud piano,ill behaved children and raucous adults.
This Hotel is not cheap and would certainly not be classed as 4 star anywhere else. I hope not to have to stay here again, but since there is little competition I may have to.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I have heard that finding a good hotel in the Island is a bit of a struggle. I have stayed here twice. The first time I had one of the more modern, refurbished rooms and it was what I would expect from a hotel. It was clean, warm and has all the amenities you need to stay there for business. Yes it looks tired in places and some of the communal areas could be improved. I have never eaten here in the evening, I have heard it is basic pub grub. The buffet breakfast is standard english breakfast and not bad. Some of the older rooms, overlooking the promenade have large bath rooms but are an odd shape and strangely arranged. All in all, not the place for a long stay unless in an atrium facing room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the atrium, nicer and quieter. It also has a gym, not that I have managed to check out the facilities.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Finding a quality hotel in the Isle of Man is a challenge. The Sefton is the only hotel that I am prepared to stay in. It is clean and the service is ok. It is expensive though for what you get. Some of the rooms are very tired and a weird configuration. They get trade because they are the best of a bad bunch.

Room Tip: Insist on an atrium room. They are the best ones.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business