“Great location, just watch even numbered rooms”

Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Douglas
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed at many 4 star hotels previously I was looking forward to giving the Palace a go.... Stayed at Inglewood previously!

We arrived at approx. 6pm and was greeted by very helpful staff and a super fast efficient check in. We got to the room, 206 which was a little disappointing as the view was overlooking (directly) the air conditioning units, which were noisy..... We called down for room service ordering 2 starters and 2 main courses, very friendly guy on phone whilst ordering, having a laugh and joke (which I liked).... When food came there was only one starter, we made do though as it was likely myself waffling on which confused the guy.... The burger and chips was exceptional!

We went bed approx. 10pm due to long travel but was disappointed to be woken at 2am and 5am by people being collected at the rear of the hotel..... There didn't seem any regard for the 4 star paying guests who might be sleeping..... Anyway, I did get a reasonable nights sleep bar this....

Breakfast was exceptional on all 3 mornings, very high standard compared to other 4 star hotels....

Was very disappointed to be woken at 4:45am on second night though by loud speaking in corridor, which was then followed by loud knocking on bedroom doors and then running off, I opened door but could see no-one! It occurred to me that anyone can just walk off street via front, access lifts and come up to bedrooms..... Lack of security really......

Third night was Sunday night and everywhere was much quieter, which was great.

We ate out night two at Chillies Indian, about 5 minutes up prom, towards Onchan and night three at the imperial dragon Chinese, 200 yards in same direction!

Wifi needs addressing, working in IT it was very frustrating to need to enter the wireless code every 2 minutes - literally! Must admit though, room 206 is directly above the paragon bar area and you can receive the wireless in your room here :-). Big plus for me!

All in all not bad, not sure I would score as 4 star though, more three I thought!

A nice enjoyable stay though, with friendly staff.....

1  Thank damianb123
Palacehoteliom, Manager at Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of our hotel. We do pride ourselves in our Customer Service and thank you for your kind comments. We are pleased you enjoyed the quality of food through room service. We are sorry that you were awakened on a couple of occasions by other guests - I am sure you can appreciate this is not something we can always control. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,062)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Not the cheapest hotel on the island but worth the extra for the hassle free parking and stunning bay views. Top class breakfast in a superb dining room. Tried the casino but not really my thing although pack your passport to join.

Room Tip: Get the sea view it is always good to wake up to the ocean
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank GAMassam

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As you say, our hotel does have the advantage of ample free parking and of course the views from the hotel are as you say "stunning". We are delighted you enjoyed our breakfasts and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

My wife, daughter and mother in law stayed at this hotel, we thought from reading the reviews it would be something special WRONG it's old, tied and desperately needs a face lift its had it's time :(
The room had a wonderfull view of the carpark, it was clean but the furniture very old. If the management decide to spend a little money I am sure it can be brought upto what I consider Best Western Standards

Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

I'm usually one of those guys who doesn't expect much when you go to a hotel in a place like the Isle of Man. But this was a bad experience even for me. The hotel is nice and they try too hard to decorate the rooms but its the little things that differentiate one hotel from the rest. Few things that made my 3 day stay not so comfortable were

1. The first room I got was not clean and the flush wouldn't work. So I was moved to another one only to find out there was no hot water !!

2. They ask you if you need a newspaper in the morning. I ordered one but you get it at 930-10am! I had left for office then.

3. Most importantly, no wifi except in the reception. So working from the hotel was not an option or even checking my emails.

4. My room was extremely noisy due to a group of young people checking in at the same time around my room. But that's not the hotels fault I guess.

5. Couple of ladies at the front desk were quite confused and seemed like trainees. Although polite the service didn't make me feel at home.

You can't fault the view and the breakfast, all of which were very good.

• Stayed: November 2012
Palacehoteliom, Manager at Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Thank you for your comments which we have noted and will review.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed here for dinner b&b for one night , food was nice on the evening good buffet with plenty of options, salads and deserts good too. The rooms were basic and in need of a paint a lot of noise at night from road , bathroom shower curtain was a bit stinky and yellow at the bottom. Casino a bit drab in need of a makeover and no atmosphere. overall hotel needs to be dragged into this century.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed the food and found there to be plenty of options. We have noted and will review your further comments.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed in one of the rooms overlooking the sea. It was really lovely. Well worth paying for. The breakfasts here are excellent. We paid the night porter for our stay before we left. The receptionist phoned us a few days later looking for our payment. We thought this was disgraceful and we should have received an apology.

• Stayed: July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your room with the lovely view of the sea. Thank you for your comments regarding the "excellent" breakfasts. We have noted your comments with regard to the payment of your bill and apologise for any misunderstanding. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed 1 night b&b in a double bedroom, which was basic but comfortable. I also booked the derby suite for the 2 days for business. Reception staff were lovely, friendly and helpful, couldn't fault them, and the only downside on the room was black mould in bathroom which wasn't too pleasant, on a plus note lovely toiletries and cadburys hot choc which was a nice touch. Breakfast was great, really enjoyed it and couldn't find any fault with it at all. I would stay there again and also book the conference room again as the hotel is pleasant, great central location and free parking. Didn't use the gym or spa facilities this time but on my next visit will defo give it a go, and if I have the time may even visit the cinema which is situated on the carpark.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view room otherwise you have views of the car park which is not very nice
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Palacehoteliom, Manager at Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and that we were able to provide conference facilities to suit your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope next time you will have the time to enjoy our spa and leisure facilities.