“Really nice accomodation, friendly owners, highly recommended”

Arrandale House & Apartments
Ranked #7 of 27 Douglas B&B and Inns
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Really nice accomodation, friendly owners, highly recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights over Easter 2011. Very clean rooms, nice view over the Douglas sea front (request top of hotel). Really nice breakfast, they couldn't do enough for us.

Room Tip: Request room on top floor, sea view.
  • Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Elliot H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
.London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

I am just home from four days stay here. The owners are extremely helpful and friendly, the breakfast is second to none. The rooms vary in size so if you can get one that overlooks the Square you will be very happy. The house and rooms are very clean and well cared for. Overall this is good value for money. Highly recommended.
Lynda

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Lynda013
Saint Priest des Champs France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2011

I stayed twice in this hotel on business trips to the isle of man. the hotel is situated in a quiet area in Douglas, but only 10 minutes walk from the beach. the owners are very friendly and helpful. although I stayed as a business traveller, I can recommend this hotel to families also.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

We came for the Bowls Festival and the Arrandale is just ideal for our needs, it being so close to the greens. Very warm welcome on arrival ,very friendly staff ,nothing seems too much trouble for Rose & Theo. Rooms very comfortable and warm & clean, breakfast excellent. Looking forward to coming back again in September.Would certainly recommend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2010

No request too small.The staff were exceptionally helpful.Very friendly atmosphere.clean room , comfortable stay.Great breakfast.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

I stayed at the Arrandale apartments with my partner and 3 children (9,2 and 9 months). Where to start! the apartment was damp (black mould along the bottom of most walls), smelt damp and made all our belongings smell musky. The bathroom window leaked, we had no change of bedding for 10 days!!!!! The pull out bed in the lounge was awful to sleep on, the cot provided for my baby appeared clean, however, when I straightened his sheets I noticed the mattress was all cracked and foam exposed, there was insufficient cutlery, the sash window in the living area had no lock, therefore anyone could push the window up from the outside to gain access. There was no hoover and nobody came in to hoover so I had to clean the whole legnth of the living area on my hands and knees with a dustpan and brush daily. There is absolutely no point in there being any controls on the radiators as they are clearly controled from somewhere else and the quilts that were in the cuboards were filthy and there were no duvet covers to put over them. The pans were dirty so we had to wash them on arrival, we never saw the owners only to get the keys and to hand them back. All in all the place was horrible, the fact the decor is a little dated is not a problem to me, I don't expect 5* luxury, however, I do expect accomodation to be clean, secure and comfortable. I would not reccomend this accomodation to anyone and I certainly would not stay there again. I am in 2 minds if to contact the tourist information to tackle the 3* rating as it is certainly not 3* and the certificate displayed in the entrance was 2 years out of date. This was our only holiday and we saved like mad to pay for it, I am gutted.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank sallycinnamon80
ArrandaleIsleofMan, Owner at Arrandale House & Apartments, responded to this review, October 15, 2010
We had already received this 'review' in the form of an email which was only sent by the guest over a month after their stay ended. We sent an immediate response addressing all points raised (most of which are contentious). We are happy to forward a copy of the reply to anyone wishing to see it (too lengthy to reproduce here in full).

We are always available to our guests. Our reception is about 50 yds away from the apartment and is open from 7.30 in the morning to 11.30 at night. Guests also have our mobile numbers to call at any time.

In the whole 10 days of the stay, we were not once contacted with regard to any issues or shortcomings with the accommodation.

We do ask every customer to let us know if everything is to their satisfaction as it is extremely difficult to rectify any problems afterwards. Most things that are an issue for guests can be resolved quickly and easily if only we are notified.

On a final note, here on the Isle of Man, all tourist accommodation is subject to an annual mandatory inspection by an independent UK Inspector. Our score puts us well within the 3 star category.
North West
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

We stayed in a 2 bedroomed apartment at the Arrandale in August 2010. In truth, the apartment had all the facilities it was supposed to have, dishwasher, washing machine, wi-fi internet access (which was very useful), but the standard of the kitchen equipment and the lounge/dining furniture left a lot to be desired and the decor was very tired and date. The sofa/sofa bed was the most uncomfortable thing we had ever sat on and the bed was the same, my son only managed to sleep on it for 2 nights then had to transfer to the bunk bed sharing with my daughter, which was not ideal for either of them.

There were only 3 dining chairs, 3 dinner plates, 3 place mats, 3 mugs and 1 chipped one (for 4 of us), a completely useless tin opener, a broken potato peeler, the list goes on. The taps in the kitchen were almost impossible to turn on and off and with my arthritis hands this was hard work to stop them from dripping all the time. The pull-string light switch in the bathroom was hanging out of its' socket and looked quite dangerous to me.

All in all the apartment was disappointing although the location is good (except for the hill).

We only saw Rose, the owner, on the day we arrived and didn't have any contact with her after that.

I would not recommend this apartment to anyone to be honest, my kids were not happy with it at all, it is just not what we are used to.

I felt let down by the apartment because after all this was our main holiday and we expected better.

On a final positive note It was clean, the beds were clean, and the double bed was very comfortable and we had plenty of clean towels provided.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family