All reviews piano bar the penthouse sea view isle of man central promenade kippers single room bar meals buffet breakfast lovely hotel sea front coach party night stay coach trip douglas bay short stay evening meal
Selected filters
Reviewed May 4, 2019

Had a really enjoyable stay at The Empress for two nights. My only reservation is our standard room was rather small for the two of us. Unfortunately there was a coach party staying the first night who had to be up by about 6.30 am and they made sure everyone else in the hotel was awake too- not the hotels fault. There are larger rooms (I enquired for future reference- sea view I believe) and would recommend that choice if there are two of you. Had dinner there both nights. Good menu with plenty of choice , reasonable prices and large portions. The restaurant staff were very helpful and friendly (especially James) which all all makes for a pleasant stay.Good breakfast. Will go there again.

Room tip: Standard rooms a bit small for two-fine for a solo traveller. Larger rooms are available.
Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2019 via mobile

Stayed at the Empress for three nights.We had a deluxe double with sea view. Room was very clean and modern. I do agree with a recent review that the tea making facilities were poorly sited.
Food in the piano bar was ok and fairly edible.
My only real complaint was that although the hotel is non smoking, smokers congregated under the hotel canopy at the entrance and there is no way of avoiding the fumes when trying to get into the hotel. All in all if I go back to Douglas the Empress will be top of my where to stay list.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2019

Had a 4 night stay at the Empress and had a great few days.
We stay in a twin sea view room. Very clean and everything we needed. Only negative was the position of the tea making facilities which are practically on the floor which would have been dangerous if we had children particularly as the kettle didn’t fit where it should have so was unstable. We moved them to the desk so not a major issue.
Breakfast was great. Everything you could ask for. Service was excellent, food fresh and replenished constantly.
Piano bar was nice but the food was the worst we ate on our trip. In fairness I should have sent it back as I didn’t eat it. Not like any Lasagne I’d eaten before with anaemic chips and a bit of salad which was buried under the cheese covered pasta. Nasty
On the whole I would definitely stay again, just not eat the evening meals

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2019

wife and in laws were booked in to attend a funeral. mix up with booking.com. called hotel to sort out. nothing was a problem. reasonably complicated booking. all sorted out without a problem. very happy. wife and inlaws very impressed with welcome , facilities and their room. all had sea view rooms. very clean. hotel is very well placed on the promenade. very busy location. large dinner and wedding during their stay. lots of coaches coming and going. food and bar facilities very good. wife and in laws recommend highly.

Room tip: book directly for best prices and best choice of room. sea view excellewnt
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2019

The Empress is nice with stunning views and is well placed on the prom. Rooms are ok, clean and warm but can be a little dated and small, breakfast is limited for vegetarians - they claim to have vegetarian sausages but they’ve never had any when I’ve stayed.

Date of stay: November 2018