1,019 results
All reviews piano bar the penthouse sea view conservatory area isle of man central promenade bar meals kippers single room buffet breakfast function room reception staff lovely hotel sea front coach party night stay coach trip
Selected filters
Reviewed June 25, 2018

Room 604 was a 2 roomed suite with views over the bay. So much space was a pleasant surprise. Great value and looked recently refurbished. No air con but not expected. Restaurant and Piano Bar are classy, plenty of comfortable sitting in the ba with views over the bay. The only downside was a young female receptionist on arrival. Monosyllabic & unhelpful. When asked if there was a porter she replied with a flat 'No". A few minutes later a young man from behind reception saw our many items of luggage and offered help. English was possibly not her first language but that's no excuse for a professional greeter.

Room tip: Treat yourself to room 604
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
HEHotels, Manager at The Empress Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2018

Dear mikep100

Thanks for your recent review and glad you liked room 604 (which has been refurbished recently as you mentioned).

I'm sorry about the new receptionist and we will ensure that better training is undertaken for her as being helpful on the desk is the most important skill needed, and whilst we don't have a dedicated porter to help with bags, there is always someone around from the bar or elsewhere who can assist when requested.

I hope that you will be able to return in the future and enjoy another pleasant stay with us again.

Reviewed June 24, 2018 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed our 6 night stay on a bed and breakfast basis at the Empress Hotel. Lovely decor and facilities, staff friendly and knowledgeable. Breakfast had a huge selection of cold and hot food, accompanied with tea/coffee and fruit juices.Would definitely recommend this Hotel.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2018

Didn't book a sea view room as they were already taken so we had an internal double classic room. Clean comfy and just about right size, not too small. Breakfast were good and if you want kippers warn them when you come in a\sa they are cooked to order. Will be stopping there again

Room tip: Can't comment of the sea view rooms but I did notice that the doors are self closing and shut with a loud bang
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear trammanNotts

Many thanks for your great 5 star review.

Glad your stay was nice and the room suitable along with the good choice of breakfast items and cooked to order dishes too.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 23, 2018

check in very bad no record of my booking. girl very unhelpful. lift very small. room card would not work at one point .took reception 4 goes to fix problem.at check in receptionist told me room number 301 when it was 303.then roomcard would not work in room 303 .booked afternoon tea at reception .mix up on payment.. very unpleasant .asked at reception for new do not disturb sign. still waiting for it

Room tip: single rooms VERY small .maybe book adouble
  • Trip type: Traveled solo

Dear 16dawncourt

Thank you for your review.

I am very sorry about your experience with reception. Upon investigation, it seems your room was given to someone else with a similar surname and so you were then given the room next door, which was where the confusion came in as our keycard machine had already made a key for that room and flagged an issue which reception overruled incorrectly! So apologies for that and also about afternoon tea that two different staff gave different information about the payments. We have spoken to the reception staff concerned and again apologise for those issues, but hope you enjoyed other aspects of your stay with us.

Reviewed June 22, 2018

I chose the Empress for my one night stay because of value and location and because I always prefer staying in older character hotels rather than modern concrete ones.

The location was ideal for me - about half way along the promenade and roughly equal 20 minutes distance from the electric tram at Derby Castle and, at the other end of the promenade, the shops and the Quay. I liked the decor and the evening pianist was excellent!

I arrived a few hours too early for check-in but storing my overnight bag while I went off to visit Laxey and Snaefell was no problem. Reception staff were pleasant and efficient and were helpful with itinerary suggestions. My twin room on the second floor overlooked the back of the building and the fire escape but, as I had pre-booked, I knew not to expect a sea view. The room, which looked as though it had been refurbished, was very clean, with a hairdryer, plenty of towels and at least two sockets for charging. The shower fitting was a basic attachment but worked perfectly well. WiFi worked fine. The mattress was quite firm but, although I usually prefer soft mattresses I slept very well. There was no outside noise and very little noise in the corridor.

Breakfast was a good selection of hot and cold items and there was plenty of seating. Staff were very attentive and items were quickly replenished.

I really enjoyed my stay and, if I return to the Isle of Man, I would hope to stay here again.

• Trip type: Traveled solo

Dear Debdancing

Thanks for your detailed review and 5 star rating.

I'm glad you liked the newly refurbished rooms and found the food and staff at the hotel to be good and look forward to seeing you again next time.