“Jaks during MGP 2013”

Jaks Bar & Steak House
Ranked #19 of 162 Restaurants in Douglas
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: •WIFI Enabled free of charge for all customers.•Open 7 Days a week (Mon-Thurs 11am to midnight, Fri & Sat 11am to 1am, Sun 12 noon to midnight).•Located next to the main shopping street (and Strand Shopping Centre)•Established in 1990 and still under the same owners - Mr Andrew Gibbs & Mr Keith Bernard.•Ample parking available on main promenade.•Access to bus services, horse tram services, and taxi rank, with stops directly outside the front door.•We accept all major credit/debit cards and luncheon vouchers.•Cash machine in the main bar.•Disabled toilet facilities.•Number 1 for football on the island - all live sports shown.•FREE text message service delivering all live football screenings at Jaks, with exclusive member offers.•One of the largest selection of draught beers on the island.•Doubles bar all day.•Music System with best of classic dance/R&B at weekends and classic music during the week Main Bar•Upstairs main bar.•Doubles bar all day.•One of the largest selections of draught beers on the island:-•Carling, Carling Extra Cold, Peroni, Heineken Export, Stella Artois Export, Coors Light, John Smiths Greene King Bitter, Okell's REAL ALE Bitter, Strongbow Cider, Guinness & Guinness Extra Cold, all on draught!•Number 1 for football on the island - all live sports shown!•New For This Season SKY SPORTS HD on every screen!•2 FULL HD Big Screens (one 10ft - Largest on the Island!!)•4x50" Full HD Digital Plasma Screens.•4x42" Full HD Digital Plasma Screens.•1x10ft Full HD Wide Screen (largest on the Island!).•3x20" LCD Screens with live football results.•6x LCD Bar Pump screens (exclusive to the Island!)•FREE text message service (introduced to the Island by Jaks Bar in August 2002) delivering all live football screenings at Jaks, with exclusive promotions and drinks promos to all members!•The most up-to-date satellite system in the Island. We proudly boast that we can show up to 7 different football matches at the same time!•Exclusive 'Split Sound Technology' that enables us to have commentary to 2 different football matches on at the same time!•Friendly, professional, fully-trained bar staff, delivering the quickest service on the Island!•Full Wine Menu•Cocktails Served all Day - Everyday•Shots and Shooter served all dayRestaurant•Newly refurbished (Bookings advisable) •Full Table Service•New Evening Menu•Sunday Lunch Specials•Pre booking advised to aviod disappointment•Fresh Chargrilled Steaks.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

As it was just down the street from my BnB, and looked a bit lively, I dropped in most evenings during my stay.
Its one of those BIG-SCREEN sports bars downstairs, with a steak restaurant (bookings required) upstairs.
Although I didnt eat there (looked a bit frantic / long wait) I did spend a bit of time downstairs watching the big screens which mainly seemed to show anything rather than what I most expected (TT / MGP bike action) No - its all about football / Cricket / Rugby .... yawn.....)
Despite that, and the ever increasing shoutiness level, which is a feature of all "sports (well football really) bars" as the night wears on the ambient volume increases to a point where conversation is hard work, the place is ok, bar staff level is just about right with only a 5 minute or so wit to be served, which considering its MGP week is ok.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We visited on my husband's birthday for a special meal as we were on the island for the Classic TT. Upon entering the restaurant we saked for a table for 2 and were told to take a seat on one of the tables in the window. We sat there and waited and waited - at no point did any member of staff (and there were at least 7 on duty) come and offer us a menu or asked if we were OK. Other customers were being shown to tables and being offered menus and drinks orders being taken. After 20 minutes of being ignored, we decided we had had enough and got up and left. Even at this point none of the staff approached us to see what he problem was.

Once downstairs we asked for the manager as the level of service was the worst we have experienced in any restaurant ever. After a few minutes the restaurant manager came down and to be honest, he gave the impression that he couldn't care less - he offered us a feeble apology and said that the reason we were ignored was due to staff changeover and that they were busy (there were only 4 tables occupied - the ratio of staff to customers was 1:3).

We were prepared to spend a considerable amount including wine but didn't even get the chance to look at a menu.

Terrible service and the restaurant manager really need to learn how to deal with complaints.

3  Thank Debs2367
Reviewed August 27, 2013

this restaurant is trying to be too many things to many people.
If you're after a noisy atmosphere, with tables close together, and a self serve soft serve ice cream machine whirring away in the room then this will probably suit you. Being able to serve your own ice cream might be fine in a family pizza bar but when you're re paying £18 - £25 for a meal it doesn't quite fit in (in my opinion)
My meal was overcooked (vegetables like baby food) and the salad tipped from a bag served with commercial coleslaw. All makes me think it's not chefs but cheap cooks with little imagination in the kitchen.
Others at the table said their meat was fine but lacked finesse. Service was over kill and not very skilled. Not a cheap night out either. Probably not go again

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Very lively place great dining space upstairs and just the best steak I've had for a very long time :-)

1  Thank Poxon_1969
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We went to Jaks for some food as we know the food and service is normally really good. When the food was brought to the table the waiter asked if anybody would like any sauces. One of the party asked "I'm fine but can I please get a drink" to which the waiter replied " I didn't ask if you wanted a drink, i asked if you wanted sauce. I don't have my pad how do you expect me to remember". A simple "i will just get your sauces for now and come back, that's no problem" would have sufficed. Our table was not happy with the service and with the waiter in particular. I normally have no issues with Jaks, the food & the service at all so hopefully this was a one off. However it's worrying that staff with such "great" people skills are hired and left to deal with people appallingly. Nothing was said at the time as we found it quite embarrassing and didn't really want to make anything of it. But after leaving we thought that leaving a review was the best way for this to be dealt with.

1  Thank Flaimboi