“Average food, awful service, overpriced menu”
Review of L'Experience

L'Experience
Ranked #10 of 162 Restaurants in Douglas
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Here at L'Expérience, we pride ourselves on our warm and friendly atmospshere, accompanied by great locally sourced ingredients and an extensive wine list. A number of our dishes can be adapted in order to meet the needs of those with specific dietary requirements, meaning all our visitors can enjoy their time with us.
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We had dinner there on a saturday night. The place was busy and had a good atmosphere.
For starters, I had crab which was served on toast, and my husband had french onion soup. The crab was fine but I've had better elsewhere. The onion soup was just mediocre, nothing special. As it boasted as a French restaurant, we had high expectations of the soup.
For mains, I had the bouillabaise, and my husband had the seabass which was a special of the day. The bouillabaise was again ok, the fish was too over cooked and chewy. The seabass again was average.
The service was way below average. The staff who served us made no effort to inform us of the specials of the day. I know it was all written on the blackboard, but our table was at the far end, and it was very very dark inside and the writing very small.
Our bill came to just under £100 including a bottle of wine and a glass of kir royale. I guess food alone was probably around £35 per head which I thought was overpriced considering the quality of the meal.
I've had much better food and service elsewhere in the Isle of Man and would not be rushing back.

1  Thank gizmopuppet

Reviewed September 17, 2011

We went to L'Experience for our wedding anniversary. I had crab on toast, my husband had rabbit terrine. Both lovely although I would say the terrine is a "mans" starter! We then had sea bass special and duck. Again excellent. Fish was tender and moist with provance veg which was sufficient without having to order extra veg (waitress said we could always order extra if need be as I didn't want to be over faced- brilliant). Great experience so far. 9.15 (2 hours after arriving) we got the dessert menu - decided and waited and waited .......Caught a waitresses eye said she would come back and waited..... Finally when she came she did apologise but they were so busy - we asked for the bill, explaining that we had to meet someone at 9.45 from the ferry (9.35). Waitress came back and said she could quickly do a dessert free of charge - explained again we wanted the bill and quickly! No tip, except perhaps listen your customers. Shame, as food was good and up until the dessert we were more than happy to tip as we usually do. In fact I think it's the first time we haven't tipped at L'Experience.

Reviewed September 10, 2011

we had a lovely evening at the resturant and would recommend the frech onion soup and manx queenies the best on the island

1  Thank couple038
Reviewed July 15, 2011

If you are looking for a restaurant that offers outstanding service and amazing food then look no further - L'experience is the place.
The steaks are the best I have ever tasted and the French Onion Soup is a reason to visit alone.

3  Thank S C
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Authentic french restaurant serving the most delicious food (french onion soup is a must have, the garlic mushrooms are out of this world...yum). Lovely atmoshphere and friendly service. Highly recommended.

2  Thank Roger_Wilson21