“Great restaurant again let down by poor service”

Coast Bar and Brasserie
Ranked #47 of 154 Restaurants in Douglas
Cuisines: British
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: A truly unique dining experience conveniently located on the Loch Promenade, Douglas, Coast Bar & Brasserie is renowned as a first-class dining experience. Choose from a selection of exquisite dishes as you enjoy the idyllic sea views, or enjoy a drink with friends from an extensive wine list. Cocktail menu and a range of both local and international beers. Now also serving traditional Afternoon Tea, (pre bookable).
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant again let down by poor service”
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

When you order something from a restaurant menu, it is reasonable to expect it to arrive as described. So when my smoked salmon starter turned up without the accompanying creme fraiche I asked for it to be added. Two waitresses asked me what was wrong as neither on looking at the plate could see the problem. I did explain to the manager that having been on the Island only two hours at that point, I would expect her staff to know the menu better than me.
Why is it so hard for people employed in service roles to get these things right?
That aside, the food served was really good and the restaurant looked newly refurbished, though a little clinical. A few more soft furnishings would help to soften the feeling.
Worth a visit.

Visited July 2014

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Just awful, no one seemed to care... no veggie choice at all..”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I had the misfortune to eat here as a guest after a seminar for lunch last week. There were about 12 of us for lunch and the restaurant was quiet. the menus were on the table and clearly stated that main courses took no longer than 15 mins to arrive. No one ordered starters so we all looked at ordering mains. As a vegetarian my choice was halloumi burger and salad and whilst burgers are not really my thing i asked for this as there was no other option. I was swiftly advised that they did not have my choice today. I asked what was available to veggies and the waitress just pointed at fish and chips on the menu... As i do eat some fish and not wanting to make a fuss I said that i would have the fish and chips. We then waited for an hour and 15 minutes for the food to arrive..... when it did arrive I struggled to find any fish in the batter, in fact my cat would have still been hungry as there was so little fish and a huge lump of batter... it was a very poor experience and not one to be repeated.. once again the Isle of Man restauranteurs fail to recognise that veggies are not the minority they used to be. Service was shocking too when across the water in Liverpool service is generally excellent...

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Sue B
MarkDWilson, Managing Director at Coast Bar and Brasserie, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear guest, may we thank you for your review of Coast Bar & Brasserie. We value all customer feedback and take a very serious note of all the points you have raised. The issues you refer to are certainly not of a standard we aspire to and are totally out character for our restaurant. On this note, may I ask that you contact me directly via the venue so that I may have the opportunity discuss your feedback in person. In any event we can assure you that we have addressed the matters referred to and apprecaite you taking the time to leave your review. Kind regards, Mark Wilson
Douglas, United Kingdom
“Mid-week evening out”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

A fairly impromptu booking for a meal out for my teenage daughter and myself. We arrived to a 'just nicely busy' restaurant, with a convivial and stress free atmosphere. The restaurant itself was a perfect temperature on what has been a very warm day, and was spotlessly clean. We were greeted by and received prompt service from several helpful and nicely presented waitresses, and were delighted to have the lovely surprise of a reserved window seat (particularly in a busy restaurant).

The menu is not overly fussy and the food, in our opinion, is outstanding: one or two 'traditional' mains and a menu selection of more seasonal choices, including duck, skate, sea bass, lamb and not the usual vegetarian choices, some served with delicious accompaniments such as samphire, caramelised onions (not burnt!) or polenta chips. the rest breaks between courses not too long, and the deserts a triumph!

Maria is a fabulous hostess and the service from her team is spot on, not too intrusive but always to hand exactly when you need them: it's consistent too, regardless of whether you've walked in off the street, a hotel guest or a business guest.

We've booked to come back for brunch on Sunday and can't wait!

• Visited June 2014
Dear guest, may we thank you for your very kind and comprehensive review of Coast Bar & Brasserie. We are particularly delighted to read your generous feedback about our staff as well as your compliments about the high standard of cuisine, service and overall experience. We will be sure to pass on your feedback to our Chef as well as to Maria and her team. Many thanks and kind regards,
Rockville, Maryland
“Great food and breakfast!”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Great food and wine list! We especially enjoy breakfasts. The staff is very nice and always expeditious in service!

Visited June 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Awful. Really awful.”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We tried to celebrate a family birthday here today. The restaurant is lovely, the location right on the promenade is superb. Unfortunately the food is embarrassing. Three of our party of 6 ordered sirloin steak. It tasted of nothing, was grey and watery and looked more like it had been boiled rather than charred. The plates were full of liquid as we tried to eat it! The remaining adult main course - the 'Coast Burger' had virtually no cheese or pancetta, but an horrific over reduced onion concoction which was not on the menu, and a round stale bun, which you could have played cricket with. Both kids meals of omelette and fish were great. We should have saved £100 and all had these. We complained as all 4 main courses were uneaten and we got £9 off the bill, this being 10% of the 4 food orders.

This was supposed to be a special occasion and given the frankly shocking quality of the ingredients and and cooking, we will never return to Coast and will make sure that we communicate this to all of out friends locally. TT is for 2 weeks. Local people are what keep your business going for the other 50.

I hope that the tip we left is shared between the waiting staff who were professional and charming throughout and does not include management.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Mark E
MarkDWilson, Managing Director at Coast Bar and Brasserie, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear guest, may we thank you for your review of Coast Bar & Brasserie. We value all feedback and take a very serious note of all the points you have raised. I would also welcome the opportunity to discuss your complaint in person and ask if you can make contact with me via the adjoining Claremont Hotel, I will arrange to meet with you locally so that I can do this. I am also looking in the booking diary to see if we have any reservation contact details for your party. The issues you refer to are certainly not a standard that we aspire to and most out of the character for this usually excellent restaurant. I hope to speak with you soon to firstly apologise, but to also make arrangements for your group to return with my compliments and to also assure you that the matters you have referred to on this particular evening to have been fully addressed. Kind regards,