“Easily one of the best meals I have eaten in a restaurant”

Tanroagan Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 152 Restaurants in Douglas
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Family owned Seafood restaurant for over 10 years in the heart of Douglas just off North Quay. Tanroagan's dining room boasts an open plan kitchen giving diners a great view of the chefs at work. Our a la carte menu and black board specials offer guests a delicious choice of seafood as well as meaty options with a strong emphasis on local Manx produce. You can book online via our website or facebook page. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Isle of Man
“Easily one of the best meals I have eaten in a restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

I had heard nothing but fantastic reviews for this restaurant so, on the occasion of my sons birthday, we decided to see what all the hype was about.

I had not visited the place before and, upon entering, was slightly taken aback at how small it was. There seemed to be a lot of tables (some perhaps too close to the neighbouring ones) and I wouldn't call it 'intimate'.... more 'crowded'. On some of the smaller tables for two it would be pretty impossible not to listen to the other tables conversation and, entering directly into the restaurant from the pavement meant there wasn't a reception area. This did mean that new diners arriving had no option but to loiter in the limited space by the door until they were seated.

That said we were warmly welcomed and shown to our table.

The menu was varied - containing predominately fish but also steak There was a Specials Board and a great wine list.

The food was exceptionally good.... I mean seriously good! We ordered scallop dishes and a crab dish for starters. For main two of our party ordered the lobster and I had halibut. Everything was very fresh, cooked to perfection and seasoned well. I didn't actually know it was possible to eat fish that good on the island.

Portion sizes were generous and we couldn't manage the dessert but the Sweet Menu looked very tempting.

Staff were attentive and we were not rushed at all.

I would not hesitate to recommend Tanroagan and hope to be going back there very soon.

1 Thank scimmietta

Crawley, United Kingdom
“Good anywhere!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Intimate, cosy and delicious. Tanroagan is an easy recommendation! Friendly service and simple presentation.

1 Thank Trevor v
Douglas, United Kingdom
“Tamroagan: See the food...then eat it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

If you're looking for something different than the usual pizza or curry like I was, why not give Tamroagan a try? With the look and feel of a genuinely authentic seafood restaurant (the bowl of sea salt and ye olde bottles of mineral water say it all) along with the food and quality of service, it's certainly worth "fishing" out your money. I had the queenie fritters to start off with which were fine, then hake on the bone for mains - not exactly easy to avoid swallowing fish bones but then, I'm a guy who picks chicken bones clean like a vulture - also delicious and a lovely Limoncello Parfait. The specials are a bit on the pricey side and it is a little cramped so probably not for the biggest of parties but whether you are dining on your own, out on a date or eating with a small family, you'll have great pleasure eating out at Tamroagan.

• Visited January 2014
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Did not disappoint!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

After hearing nothing but great things about Tanroagan I decided to go here for my birthday meal with the family. I read the reviews on here and after what I had heard I had high expectations. It was nice and intimate with lovely staff and quick service. The choice on the menu was great and the specials on offer made it even more difficult to choose! I had the scallop bruschetta to start which was delicious, then decided to have the lobster with queenies special for mains. This was the first time trying lobster and it was so tasty, everything was so fresh. Although a little on the expensive side, you get what you pay for, great quality food and a decent portion. Cannot fault this place, will definitely visit again to try some more of the tempting choices on the menu.

Manama, Bahrain
“Recommended by family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

The resturant was recommended by my son and daughter in law. The table given to us was in the centre of the room, very close to fellow diners and I was uncomfortable to chat to my husband. Not a resturant for romance. Next time when I book I will request a table against the wall. The menu was very good and so was the food. The service was excellent. Good value.

• Visited January 2014