“Terrific Seafood” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tanroagan Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 152 Restaurants in Douglas
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Family owned Seafood restaurant for over 10 years in the heart of Douglas just off North Quay. Tanroagan's dining room boasts an open plan kitchen giving diners a great view of the chefs at work. Our a la carte menu and black board specials offer guests a delicious choice of seafood as well as meaty options with a strong emphasis on local Manx produce. You can book online via our website or facebook page. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Blythburgh, United Kingdom
“Terrific Seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I was prompted to visit Tanrogan on the strength of the reviews seen on Tripadvisor - and I am very glad I did. The staff were friendly, and although the restaurant is compact, I didn't feel at all encroached on by the other tables. Although the choices looked tempting, we declined starters (having caught a glimpse of the desserts on offer). We did, however, take advantage of the home made bread rolls, which were warm and delicious. I chose hake with asparagus and bacon risotto, whilst the OH had his perennial favourite - turbot, here served with a generous portion of melt in the mouth Manx queenies and some moreish hand cut chips. The hake was soft and tasty, with the risotto a perfect accompaniment. The queenies and the chips I can also pronounce to be excellent (but there's no way the OH would let me have a look in on the turbot, so we'll have to take his word for it that it was gorgeous!). Unlike so many establishments these days, puddings were all home made - right down to the accompanying ice creams. I chose a 'shipwreck tart', which was a warm slice of fudgy, nutty heaven with the best sweet pastry I've had in some time. It's usually served with vanilla ice cream, but after hearing the staff discussing the new ice-cream flavour (chocolate orange), I asked if I could have that instead. It was wonderful. The OH had a chocolate fondant - so often the undoing of Masterchef types - it was spot on, with a melting middle.
Whilst not cheap (our choices plus a nice bottle of wine came to £80), I do feel like we got value for money. With the open kitchen in the corner, it was almost like dinnner and a show! I have no hesitation in recommending this venue to seafood lovers everywhere.

Visited July 2013

Norway
“Disappointingly "bloody" lemon sole!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had booked a table for two on 12th July, received a friendly welcome and it was nice of the staff to congratulate me on my birthday.
The small bread rolls which were offered were not warm and were rather heavy.
The lobster was satisfactory but a little on the dry side.
My lemon sole was served whole with some small potatoes which rolled around on the plate as it was unceremoniously plonked in front of me.

We waited a while before asking there would be some vegetables. A small dish was served containing a mixture of greens, unattractively presented.

The lemon sole had a most unappetising stripe of red blood along the bone.

We decided that we would not complain as the staff were extremely busy and we had already requested about the vegetables. We thought that we would wait to see if a member of staff would come over to ask if all was ok - as this is quite usual in restaurants. Nobody asked.

The girl who cleared the plates away did not react at all that the lemon sole was almost untouched.

The desserts tasted good, were attractively presented and the Chablis was fine.

The bill for the lobster, lemon sole dishes, desserts and a bottle of wine came to 103 pounds, This would have been considered reasonable if the food had been tasty and well presented and if the service had been satisfactory.

Nevertheless, thanks to Tanroagan for a most memorable birthday happening. We left quite quickly as we got a fit of the giggles and couldn't stop:
Staff appeared with a cake lit with candles and sang "Happy birthday to You" and then walked slowly past me - to another guest who also had a birthday!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SandyNorway
“Always Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

If you like seafood and a casual atmosphere this is for you! Last time I was there I enjoyed the lobster and queenies and as always it was delicious. I have never had a less than perfect meal at this eatery. It is always busy and booking is recommended. Try the fish and chips , the batter on the fish is lovely and light. Although not cheap, this restaurant is well worth a visit!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Clare I
Cumbria
“Excellent food and great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Luckily had read the reviews so had booked a table in advance which was a good job as we got the last table and customers were being turned away by 8 o'clock on a Tuesday night. The restaurant was full of atmosphere and the busy, open kitchen added to it. The staff were very friendly whilst being professional and knowledgable. The food was first class and deserves the top rating. It is fairly expensive, however no more than any good, seafood restaurant so happy to pay the price for good quality food that is well cooked and presented. If I lived closer it would definitely become a firm favourite.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank janandray
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“gorgeous food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I went here with my bf for a meal.It is al sea food and the food is fantastic, so yummy! It is really expensive though so save it for a treat, also make sure you book as its tiny. Its so cute you even get your receipt in a small bottle and you salt on the table in a shell... for two of us, we had a starter and main each, two glasses of wine and a cocktail and a bottle of water and it came to 85 quid.

1 Thank MissJerseyTraveller