“Great Location and very clean!”
Review of Empress Hotel

Empress Hotel
Empress Hotel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Douglas
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We spent Easter at the Empress on our first visit to the Isle of Man. We were impressed with the cleanliness throughout the hotel. It was sparkling clean and smelt very fresh. The staff were extremely polite and very helpful. There was a wedding reception held on the Saturday but we were not disturbed by this. The Aroma buffet restaurant was good value for money with tasty food replished often. We also thought the breakfast was of a good standard according to the cost of staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: We would recommend that if you stay to ask for a sea view room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AnnieBEssex

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Chose this hotel because of the location which is ideal as central and more things for children, the room we had was a standard room but spacious very clean and warm, especially when it was blowing a gale the day we arrived.
The receptionist that checked us in was attentive and went out of her way to help us with all our queries, Josh helped us with luggage and Lucas the barman served us lunch, which was very nice , plus the rest of the staff are very friendly, which sort of made our stay due to a relaxed family atmosphere even in a large hotel. People are too quick to write when they have a complaint which is why I thought I would omment. I hope to return there next year, hopefully the Irish Sea will be a be calmer next time.

Room Tip: We had a family room but saw a sea facing on the day we checked out and looked lovely.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank louise b
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My wife and I have just returned hoem after a lovely stay at the Empress Hotel. We arrived on the seacat which was just 15 minutes walk from the hotel. The staff were very welcomeing from the minute we walked into the hotel. They had to resturaunts and a very good bar menu. We tried the food in all 3 places and found it very good quality. We stayed in a suite which was a good size with separete seating area overlooking Douglas Bay very relaxing to look at at night. The room was clean and serviced daily. Overall we found the Hotel excellent value for money and we will definatley be returning.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank belfastguyBelfast
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Young man at reception rude and unhelpful . No help with cases. Door not held open even though our hands were full. Really unpleasant over dispute over dates Threatened to charge our card whether we stayed or not. Room was big but dingey dull brown carpet, brown and orange walls. Curtains were falling down, nets needed a wash. No towels at all in our room, had to ring down for some at midnight. Only 2 pillows, no spares. Had to ring down for some. Hard as rock mattress. WIFI advertised everywhere was not free, with a cost of £4.95 per day. Mean and penny pinching considering we walked into town and bought 2 coffees and got free WIFI every single place we went on the whole of the isle of man. No swimming pool, which was advertised when I booked.They closed it. No buffet, as advertised nightly, not on a Monday. No pianist as advertised, at all, our whole stay. Breakfast was very poor.Dried up bacon, cheap sausages, cheap thin bread you toasted yourself. No nice choices of jams or preserves, just small plastic square packets. Kippers were burnt to a cinder. Ordered boiled eggs 2 mornings, came out raw. Ran out of lemon, so I could not have tea with a slice of lemon,or even a gin and tonic with a slice of lemon. In 5 days in a large hotel no lemon was bought. The attitude of the staff was awful with the exception of the buffet staff who did their best. The sound proofing was so poor we could hear the people above everytime they turned over in bed or went to the loo in the night. The front window had no safety lock on it and opened right up, i looked out and nearly fell. The television did not work at all on any channel. When we rang down they said they had no proper reception. It was thick snow and zoomed in and out on its own. The bedroom was so dark we had to leave the loo light on all the time to see, and the noisey fan was deafening. We had a miserable stay, which was very very expenisive and when we complained all we were told was we would be charged if we left and went to another hotel. In all of Europe this was our worst stay. Absolutely horrible.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Travel_Teddybears
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Stayed at this hotel which on the whole was very clean apart from the spa area/pool. When we booked this hotel we paid a £50 deposit and got an email confirming this and that the balance of £210 should be paid on departure. When we actually checked in on the 9th March 2012 the receptionist advised they were pre-authorising our card but didnt mention any amount. When checking my bank account on the 10th March I found £350 missing from my account. My bank could not identify the culprit who had taken the funds. I then cancelled my card. After returning to the hotel the head receptionist said oh yes we do this all the time - nice of them to tell us this. We then had to use another card to settle our hotel bill but the outcome of this is that our £350 is still not in our account. The hotels response to this is that even though my bill is settled we can't get the pre-assigned status off our account as I cancelled my card. I am now in the process of fighting to get this resolved. I will never ever give The Empress, Isle of Man my money every again and that is the second time I stayed there.

Room Tip: Definitely a sea view room
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SDMCL
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. Looking at the other hotels in the street, it looked like one of the best. The hotel is in a good position for the bus to/from the airport, shops, theatre, cinema and is right on the coast. On the whole, the hotel was clean, with the exception of the valance sheet, windows and net curtains in the room. We had dinner in the restaurant which was a reasonable price for "eat as much as you like". The food (Indian and Chinese) was really nice and we did not have any complaints. The staff are ok, one of the ladies in the restaurant was very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the seaview.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank offwegoagain68
Reviewed November 26, 2011

This is the second time I have stayed here. Sad to say the hotel is looking a bit tired.The spa area is in need of a re-furb or a deep clean. Room was basic, small, stuffy and over-heated.
On the positive side the staff were friendly, professional and helpful, the breakfast was self service buffet style and the quality of the food was excellent - really lovely bacon, black pudding etc.
Perhaps a bit of cash injection is needed here.......

Room Tip: ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo