Melrose Guest House
Sefton Hotel(Douglas)
$124
$108
  • Pool
The Chesterhouse Hotel(Douglas)(Great Value!)
$102
$87
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
The Rutland Hotel(Douglas)(Great Value!)
$102
$76
Regency Hotel(Douglas)
$179
  • Restaurant
All reviewssteep hillstayed hereisle of mancontinental breakfastmanx gpcomfy bedtt weekexcellent value for moneytvpromwikettleislandtaxiwardrobeluggage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I enjoyed my stay, The owners were very friendly and obliging. The food was excellent and well presented. The bed was very comfortable and warm. Peter asked me if I wanted heating in the room but I did not need it. He did, however, put a portable heater in though I did not use it. I stayed for 10 days. There was a good bus service at the top of the street as well as a taxi office.

URSULA

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank URSULA761
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at the Melrose for 2 nights, 29th & 30th September.
It is an ok guest house but at the same time very good value for money.
Location is less than 10 minutes’ walk from Douglas promenade, downhill towards the coast, uphill coming back.

There was nobody when I arrived, despite the fact I had informed them I would be there by 3pm, however the entrance door was open so I could at least get in, drop my bag and wait in the lounge (which is very nice, with a good TV, books and board games).
There’s a phone number on the door that can be used to call the owners if they’re out but my mobile wasn’t working since I arrived on the island (this is because the Isle of Man is not part of the UK, I then found out I should have informed my mobile provider that I was going to the Isle of Man for them to give me access); anyway I asked a man next door if he could call them for me; once called, they turned up within 5 minutes.

My room was a single non en-suite, the owner Peter would have been kind enough to let me stay in a more spacious en-suite for the same price as the single (otherwise normally charged an extra £16.00 per night) but I decided not to as there was a rather unpleasant mouldy smell, both in the bedroom and in the en-suite bathroom so I was fine with the single.
The room was clean and tidy and had tea & coffee making facilities.
The bed was very comfortable..
The heating wasn’t in use yet but, upon my request, Peter provided me with one of those mobile radiators that you just have to plug in, which did its job quite well.
Breakfast was ok, ordinary full English.

I don’t have any complaints to make but I didn’t have any (warm) welcome by the owners as described by other reviewers so this is something that should / could be improved, a simple “welcome” and a smile is very easy, effortless and free.
All in all, I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a good value B&B close to the town centre but without having too many expectations.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank JamR0LL
Reviewed September 17, 2012

spent three nights at the melrose guest house christian road douglas isle of man and thought it was great value for money if you wanted to be picky you could find faults but not at the price they charge a comfortable nights sleep good breakfast in a clean hotel for 3 nights for £138 for a twin room en suite with kettle and tea and coffee with a flat screen tv there is a good tv lounge with plenty of books and board games and a nintendo wi as well as a large tv with surround sound and blue ray player it is in a good location for shops bars and food if there is a fault it is on a quite steep hill but as we had transport it was not an issue if i visited the island again i would go back

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Steve_R2011
Reviewed July 26, 2012

stayed with our 2 children in family ensuite room with our parents staying in adjacent double ensuite. peter and xin our very welcoming hosts and breakfast was always served to us with a smile. rooms are clean and comfortable with the towels changed daily each room has tea/coffee making facilities and television with freeview. would definitely stay there again. guest house close to the shops with just a 5 minute walk to the promenade, this walk is down hill to the shops but unfortunately this means uphill going back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank linda w
Reviewed July 14, 2012

we recently married so this was our honeymoon!! we went to the isle of man by motorbike and because of the weather decided against camping as we knew the weather could turn that into a bit of a nitemare .instead we chose the lowest priced booking online we could find.so we werent expecting much . as we were going to be out and about on the bike most of the time this didnt bother us.actually in the end the melrose was a very pleasant suprise.the location is great . although not on the front its located close to everything you need in douglas.the street doesnt offer great sea views and a few of the properties on the road were having building work done or looked maybe slightly shabby but we liked what we found. on arrival the melrose looks inviting from the outside. Peter and his wife were a very welcoming,friendly and down to earth young couple who worked hard to make you welcome . The room was clean with everything you needed and the bed was very comfortable.have been in a lot worse at twice the price!!!!!Breakfasts were full english which set us up for the day every time!!!If you want 5 star then go and pay 5 star prices and maybe you will still be disappointed. if you want clean,basic,friendly really decent accomodation at a great price then rest assured you wont be disappointed.When we go back to the island weve decided 2 things.Firstly we wont leave it another 25 years,we love the place. secondly we will be staying at the Melrose.Thankyou Peter and Xin!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple