“Fabulous sea views”

The Wellington Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I really like this hotel. It has 28ish rooms all but a couple with a stunning sea views, It is a bit like being on a cruise ship. There is some allocated parking slots on the street. Reception was very friendly and helpful and our room was very modern, comfortable and clean. There was a patch of damp on the wall but not surprising considering how wet this year has been so far. The dining room and bar also look over the sea and there is a lovely sun terrace. There are steps to walk directly to the beach and very close to some nice restaurants and Ventnor. We paid £115 for B+B which was very reasonable. I probably would not take my Mum here as there are a lot of stairs- otherwise a hidden gem and great hotel for a short break

Room Tip: Always ask for seaview then it is up to you if you have large picture window, balcony or suite. Cos...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DocHolidayHavant

Reviewed February 9, 2014

The Wellington has a brilliant location and therefore amazing sea views from the bedrooms. Staff at the reception were friendly but professional which is the combo you want.
The hotel is great although in need of a little bit of TLC. Beds were not very comfortable which can be an issue if you have bad back like I do.
Also a shame that during our stay (3 nights) the room was not cleaned at all.
Over all it was a great stay and I would say that the hotel has a potential for 4 star rating with a bit of money and hard work. Would definitely stay again given a chance.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sylwia W
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a comfortable weekend here in late October. One reason for choosing the Wellington was our expected late arrival time. The Wellington information showed the reception was open until midnight, although once there we learned it is staffed 24 hours/day. We were able to park on the street at the front of the hotel, which was better than we'd expected from the website.
We had a sea view room, but decided a balcony would not be beneficial so late in the year, as was proven when staff were requested to remove furniture from a guest's balcony because of strong winds.
The breakfast, full English, had a better range of juices and fruits alongside the cereal, toast and cooked food than many hotels we've visited, and was available until 10am. The restaurant was closed for refurbishment in the evenings, but with the town centre about 5 minutes walk away, this was no problem.
The hotel is well located for access to the town, sea front and coastal footpath and we would happily return.

Room Tip: Consider the season before paying extra for a balcony as most, if not all, rooms have a sea view. I...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cynthia B
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Had a great stay at The Wellington, big comfortable room with a view to die for. The bed was fantastic as was the bath. Important features for the business traveller like me. Just a bit like it needed some decorating.

Had a great breakfast and then sat out on the balcony, fantastic.

Didn't have my evening meal there, went to The Spyglass Pub, what a great night there. Good company, great food and outstanding music.

Overall I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank timbers1234
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed with family for a few days and we took a couple of rooms both with balconies. Definitely worth getting, in order to see/hear the sea. Rooms seemed fine to me, WiFi mostly worked (I had to do some work while there), although once or twice I got error messages. We had one evening meal there and we thought the dinner was very good (we were particularly taken with the strawberry soup), the breakfast was a little bit hit and miss though. The sausages were excellent but the poached egg was a bit watery and vinegary. We were served breakfast a couple of days and a couple of days we had a buffet- I don't think we minded either way but then we always had breakfast early. There was going to be some refurbishment done in the dining room, so we heard, which fortunately didn't affect our stay but I could see that a little bit of updating wouldn't have gone amiss. The staff were friendly, one in particular. I would be quite happy to stay there again and I think we all loved the sea view.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Have stayed here several times now. The main reasons for returning are the excellent views and Carlos who always gives first class service in the restaurant and bar. The rooms for "super deluxe" are small and, with the best will in the world, cannot be labelled deluxe. In fact, basic may be a better term.
As many people have said previously, the carpets are worn and badly stained but the rooms are generally clean. The balcony rails are badly rusted and have been for years although I did notice that the rails around the outdoor dining are have been recently painted.
Unfortunately, I have heard that the restaurant that the restaurant will be closed for evening meals from the end of August due to lack of support.
Yes, the rooms are over priced but are compensated somewhat by the magnificent views.

Room Tip: Must have rooms with a balcony on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank kp0vey
Reviewed September 18, 2013

To be honest we nearly turned around and went home. The parking was so very difficult and we were stressed after the journey. My advice to you, (in hindsight of course), is take this in your stride, we did find a parking space outside the hotel, and in fact we always did, but you need care and patience to park properly.

Once inside though things started to look up. One important thing to remember you must, ABSOLUTELY MUST, have a room with a balcony and therefore a sea view. Don't even think of not doing this, it is half the joy of the hotel, you will see what I mean, for now just take my word for it.

The room was fine, nothing special, (except for the balcony), it had no bath just a shower, but everything was clean and fresh and quite acceptable. The view was spectacular and the balcony had a New Orleans atmosphere. Yes that's right a New Orleans balcony, with a fabulous view, in the Isle of Wight.

So we went down to the restaurant. A fine room with double doors leading onto the hotels large balcony. If the weather is good this is THE place for pre dinner drinks, Oh my oh my, the atmosphere is divine.

The staff in the restaurant simply could not have been more helpful. Now I know this is a trite phrase and often used when it is not justified, but this time trust me, they could not have been more helpful. The food was varied and well prepared, we had lobster twice during our stay and this dish was well above average. I do not think anyone would want to eat outside of the hotel, we certainly didn't.

Please remember that we are talking about a budget hotel here. I consider it to be quite amazing value for money. All in all a big success.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple