“More than adaquate for my short stay”
Review of Medehamstede Hotel

Medehamstede Hotel
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

I had to stay somewhere for a couple of nights while construction work was being done at my home so I did a quick search for affordable hotels locally. I was very pleased to with the value of the hotel and it was nice to have a cooked breakfast included in the room price too.

I stayed for just 2 nights and payed extra for an evening meal on one of them. 3 courses for less than £10- couldn't get any better.

The food was cooked just right and the chicken curry was fantastic, followed by the tastiest gateau I've ever had. The service was very good and very efficient. The girls in the dining room could not do enough for you and were both very friendly. In fact I can't fault the staff at all.

The only thing that does let the hotel down is the decor- it is dated and the TV in the rooms are tiny, with no access to freeview, and no dvd players were provided either. I mean for a short stay it was no problem, and I was out at work most of the day anyway- but had I been staying longer this may have frustrated me a little. The other thing that surprised me was there was not a free wifi service available either- I have gotten use to most hotels and bars having it and was surprised to find that I would have to pay for internet access.

On the whole the hotel served its purpose and it was great value- perfect for what I needed and it felt like a nice little break even though I was only 5 minutes up the road from where I actually live.

• Stayed: November 2013
8  Thank Marie-Pitman
MedeManagement, Manager at Medehamstede Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you for your review and positive comments regarding the food and service which are much appreciated.
Guests can get access to Freeview in the TV lounge and bar areas although we hope to upgrade the bedroom TVs in the future.
I admit that the hotel is dated is places and will endeavour to make improvements when we can but am glad that you are pleased with the good value that we offer.

There are newer reviews for Medehamstede Hotel

Reviewed November 14, 2013

After reading the comments on Trip Advisor, both harsh and good, I’m glad that I didn’t let the harsh ones stop me from visiting. Although the outside does need attention, and the rooms are a little old-fashioned, my room was clean, warm, and comfortable. For the price, it more than served its purpose.

The staff were generally helpful and the food was well cooked, with plenty of good choices. Having dedicated waitresses was nice, as they got to know our likes and disliked over the days. They were always pleasant and eager to be of service and they remained polite to even the most difficult requests.

Good entertainment and bar were also available.

To sum up - the hotel itself does need attention, but the staff are dedicated to ensuring all guests have a good time.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Erith_KentSandra

Thank you for your review and for letting us have the opportunity to exhibit our strong points with our food and service. Your kind comments are appreciated and will be passed on to the staff who are key to making this Hotel what it is.
We are aware that the front of the Hotel needs attention and are pleased to say that plans to restore it are in place for the New Year once the weather improves.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Very good food, good location and friendly staff. What more could you ask for. Steak and Ale pie, and, Liver and Bacon were really very nice. Rooms and outside could be redecorated but then prices would probably go up!!! All in all had a great time.

Room Tip: No Lift so check where your room is before you booki!!.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank gmagee1989

Thank you for your review and positive comments about our food and staff. We will be doing some essential work on the front of the Hotel very soon but we don't expect it to have an effect on the great rates we can offer.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

There were so many many inadequate and bad things about this hotel I did not know quite where to start, so I have made a list below:

1. Crudely and very cheaply decorated (Ceiling wallpaper??), cord carpet and woodchip wallpaper, curtains too short for windows, old 1970s towels.
2. Bedroom dirty and grimy, mould and dust thick on many surfaces
3. Tiny shower cubicle actually IN bedroom on the carpet, shower door leaked every time.
4. Wardrobe door out of alignment and hard to open.
5. Bed was very uncomfortable , springs stuck into my body and headboard grimy and loose.
6. Reading light too dark to read by.
7. Walls are paper-thin, I was kept awake by noise from rooms above, beside and even below me- earplugs are essential to get ANY sleep.
8. 1990 era Television set had just 4 channels, and remote control was out of sync with TV, and mostly didn't work.
9. Dinner?- vegetables served up COLD, and an elderly lady on our table found a PIECE OF GLASS in her food.
10. Breakfast- you cannot choose to have BOTH porridge and cooked breakfast, and you can't have BOTH tomatoes and beans, and plus the menu has JUST egg based dishes, one lady in our party had an egg allergy, and couldn't believe they don't even serve kippers.
11. Exterior and interior of hotel is very tatty and needs total overhaul. We used to joke that the outside looked as though someone had been using it for target practise.
12. Rooms were very small, and most of the fittings and decor looked second-hand.
13. No lift, very bad when elderly pensioners are visiting.

Please take heed tour operators, think twice before sending your customers to the Medehamstede!

Room Tip: Stay away from the ballroom and bar
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Valerie M
MedeManagement, Manager at Medehamstede Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you for your review and I am sorry about the problems with your room. It’s a shame you did not come and see us about them as we would have tried to resolve them for your stay or offer you an alternative room.
I think it is extremely unlikely that someone found a piece of glass in their food as glass is not permitted in the kitchen. It is also strange that none of our staff know anything about this and surely the guest would have said something to one of us so we could have investigated it?
I think there is some confusion with the menu as you can have both porridge and a cooked breakfast as porridge is a choice from the cereals section. Guests can also have both beans and tomatoes if they so choose. We do offer the choice when you order as many do not like both and we have discussed this with the restaurant staff so hope to make it clearer when orders are placed and avoid any confusion in the future.
I'm sorry our breakfast menu does not include kippers but there are alternatives to chose from. I'm sure we could have added extra sausage or bacon as an alternative to an egg if so desired.
The TVs in the rooms are dated and we hope to have them upgraded in the future but we do offer the usual range of freeview channels in our TV lounge and bar.
We are aware that the exterior of the hotel is in need of some work and are glad to say it will be repaired in the new season once the weather has improved.
We have never advertised having a lift and the guests generally make their needs clear when booking so it is not usually a problem. We have several ground floor rooms for those that
may struggle with the stairs.
We do appreciate all feedback and hope to use your comments to make improvements where possible.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in September this year with a coach group on a tour of the island.As per most small seaside based hotels be they in Torquay, Scarborough or wherever I expect a hotel with rooms which are clean but usually small and of varying shapes and dimensions. This is what you get here. There is No lift - this is essential for those of a more mature age or with mobility issues as even the 'ground floor rooms have to be accessed via a maze of corridors and steps to get to them.
When the coach arrived bags were portered to the rooms which helped, as did the same on departure if it was required.The rooms are small to say the least, the singles quiet tiny and some twins not much bigger. But what do you need if its clean and comfy then that is all you require. The rooms were clean, and there was room between the beds, and between one of the beds and the wardrobe (which had plenty of hangers). There was a chest of drawers, a bedside table, and a dressing table, so enough clothes storage. Some rooms also had an armchair and a chair at the dressing table. Good thick curtains so you could sleep well without street lights shining in.
A big thing for me was that ther was no wi fi.It is 2013 and I work from my computer. Away from home for 5 days without computer access puts me behind in work , surely wi-fi (free)should be a standard for these hotels?
This hotel is a typical 2 star seaside hotel that has seen better days. The tv was a joke, was a minute 14inch set circa 1990 and with only a few channels not worth viewing. The usual tea/coffee facilities were provided.
The breakfasts were quiet good 6 choices plus toast and typical for this type of hotel with brilliant poached eggs. When finished you ordered your dinner for that night, which on the whole were very tasty and enjoyable -but this isn't a bad thing as you know the weeks menu in advance and so can plan if you want to eat out. Three starters, four mains (one of which is salad - choice of ham, cheese, tuna and I think egg), and four desserts or cheese and biscuits which consisted a slice of cheddar, a slice of red leicester or similar, and 3 assorted biscuits. Not the most exciting selection.The food was fine, plentiful, and hit the spot.
There is a good sized bar area prices what you would expect to p[ay in a seaside hotel.
The entertainment was of a reasonable standard(different every night) with bingo every evening for half an hour, Staff very pleasant, and it appeared you got dedicated staff to serve you in the dining room. The location, near the beach is a real bonus it is only five minutes gentle walk (out of the hotel and down to the right) got you to the promenade, where you have a choice of a lift down to the esplanade, or 2 paths (1 with steps, 1 without). The esplanade has an amusement arcade (penny falls!), the standard seaside tat shops, a cafe, and a wonderful beach.
10 mins out of the hotel and to the left got you into the old village. This has lovely thatched cottages and is very picturesque. Fantastic rock shop selling a mix of traditional as well as modern sweets, beside rock in all sorts of shapes and flavours. Overall a nice place to visit. The hotel itself could do with a revamp and some serious investment but like many oit does not have the revenue to facilitate this so makes dom withb what it has.
Dont let this revue put you off as it is worth stopping at and is in a nice location.

Room Tip: There is no lift- try to get a larger room as the small twins are tiny
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Tourman2

Thank you for your informative and fair review.
We are looking into offering free Wi-Fi in the future and expanding the range but in the mean time it is possible to access the BT Wi-Fi hotspot in the reception area. This is chargeable at BT's own rates or BT Broadband customers can have free access to it.
I'm pleased you found our food very tasty and staff very pleasant. Your positive comments are appreciated and will be passed on to the chef and the team.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

just returned from a wonderful 5 day coach holiday in this little gem of ah hotel, staff are wonderfull and very helpful, food excellent the steak and ale pie was just lovely, room clean ,warm, and had everything you could require for the duration of your stay. I couldnt fault a thing and am now booking another stay there

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kathymartin09

Thank you for your review and positive comments. I'm really glad you had a wonderful stay here and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We went on our previous coach holiday a few years ago the hotel was awful. We thought nothing could be as bad. On the first night at the Medehamstede as I was a bit concerned I jokingly said to the very pleasant lady behind the bar, ' Your not one of these dreadful hotels that will not serve tomatoes and beans at breakfast' I did not get a reply . I found out the next morning it was. The food at the evening meal was awful. We had to decide at breakfast what we wanted to eat for our evening meal. The choice was basic and not brilliantly cooked. The second night the steak and ale pie, needed a black and decker drill to get in the pastry. We only had meals there on two nights and ate out the others. The room was awful, no hair dryer, phone and the lighting was so bad that you needed a torch to see to read. The shower room /toilet was poor. The shower did not always work and the floor was not particularly clean. The kettle for the tea making facilities was that large that it could never be filled in the sink. After complaining a smaller one was supplied. The towels were like the ones we had when we got married 45 years ago. In other words it was disaster. The upside was we were on a cheaper coach holiday and felt that we did not lose too much by eating out. It should be noted that the singer guitarist was excellent. We were recommended to David Urquhart travel by friends. The choice of hotels must have gone down, or they do not care where they send their customers. Lets hope they read a few reviews and find a better hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank royston1

I am very sorry you felt disappointed following your visit here but reading through your review and you subsequent letter to the tour company asking for money back, I cannot help but feeling that you have exaggerated your disappointment in order to aid that bid.
The maintenance issue with the shower was dealt with immediately but we apologise for the short period of time there was a problem.
If you were struggling to read with the existing lighting then we would have been happy to provide additional lighting if you had told us about it.
Hair dryers, irons & ironing boards are available from reception as is a pay phone.
I am sorry if the food was not to your standard but we generally have a lot of good comments about it and many guests commented how they enjoyed the same steak and ale pie that you ate.
We take the evening meal orders at breakfast time as it enables us to make sure that all our guests get what they order with the least amount of wastage which helps us to keep our prices down.
It is disappointing that you told our staff you are a professional complainer and quite often get money back and free holidays by complaining. It's a shame that some people go to such lengths for freebies as their comments can be quite damaging.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Melbourne - Ardenlea Hotel
#23 of 29 in Sandown
The Clifton
The Clifton
#2 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Medehamstede Hotel? Share your experiences!