“More like a hostel/bedsit than a hotel......”
Review of Medehamstede Hotel

Medehamstede Hotel
Ranked #30 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed August 29, 2012

On arrival The receptionist was polite and checked us in but gave too much information like which table number at breakfast,times etc which would of been better on a information card. I asked where the spacious coach and car park was, which is advertised on their website and he stated it was on the side of the hotel to which i replied what the small gravel drive and he said yes. The problem with that was no parking system in place not ticketed or registration taken so if you get blocked in you have no chance of knowing who and even if they are staying at the hotel.

The Room was very basic and more like a bedsit than a hotel, With a mismatch of pictures on the wall, towels that were old and faded brown colour and not fresh bars of soap, the drawers were lined with wallpaper which smelt and when lifted revealed damp dirty drawers which is why we lived out of our bag.

first I started to clean the sink in the ensuite then I thought i just done this at home so i complained as the toilet too had not been cleaned or the bathroom as a whole. Which looked like had not had a proper clean in a while. Also the bathroom is carpeted which in my mind is not very hygienic! No bathmats but had a wonderful (huge sigh) very cheap push on tap shower.

I was told that the rooms had not be checked by the lady i complained to as people had checked in before she had checked them, my point is that is firstly not my problem, it sounded like she had to check her staffs work on a daily basis and secondly when booking it asked you to chose a time that you expect to book in i selected 2pm but it was nearer 3pm when we checked in so in my mind the room should of been ready from 2pm cleaned and replenished.

The lady i complained to said she would come and clean it. Whilst I waited for the bathroom to be cleaned I thought I would make a cup of tea with the facilities supplied which I found dirty too not just dusty but just not washed or changed since the last quests. The tv remote was also very grubby, the tv is tiny and so high up and only having four channels.

Our room was by a hallway door which had a push latch on it which you could hear clearly from the room every time someone used it. Soundproof rooms these are not.

When checking out, Which we did at 7.30 am i was asked not staying for breakfast? !! Which I replied to no thank you. I was not willing to eat the food served by the hotel as I had seen the cleanliness of the areas that were visible so I was not willing to trust the cleanliness of the kitchen which I could not see!!!!!

My advice is go anywhere bar this 'hostal sorry hotel ' many others on same road far cheaper with free wifi,free view, ample parking in bays with no vacancies on a busy bank holiday weekend whist this hotel still had vacancies which says it all wish I had know this prior before this ruined our weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Pinksgem
Jeannie222, Manager at Medehamstede Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We can only apologise that your room was not ready for you on your arrival.

In relation to parking, as you pointed out it was a Bank Holiday weekend when we had more people with cars than usual staying. We now have a parking permit to give our guests which has also stopped people parking that are not staying with us.

Bathmats are always available on request from Reception. We are hoping to start re-furbishing the bathrooms this winter.

We feel we offer good value for money and unlike other Hotels, we do not increase our prices for the Bank Holiday.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel with Alfa Coaches. My first impression on arrival was, very outdated and in great need of refurbishment. We asked for a ground floor room due to slight immobility but still had 8 stairs to manouvre. When we entered the room for the first time there was a 'certain smell' and we couldn't wait to open the window, which opened to below ground level, to have some ventilation. We had a huge cobweb - I mean HUGE - in the corner of our room which stayed there all week. I don't know how long this took to materialise. The TV in the room was up above the wardrobe, was analogue and gave us the choice of four channels, 1,2,3, or 4. Not very comfortable if you had neck problems, if not you soon did have. Roll on Digital switchover, which apparently happened in Jan/Feb 2012 on Shanklin but it seems that this hotel does not like being up to date. From then on until Friday morning we had a herd of elephants in the room above and the floorboards must have been loose. At dinner on our arrival, straight from coach into dining room - no time for a wash after a 10 hour journey, I had a pint shandy which cost me £3.20 - yes £3.20, yes thats right £3.20! Afterwards I asked at the bar for a pint shandy, again they were going to charge £3.20. I, instead asked for half of Fosters lager and a glass of lemonade and a pint glass which I received and was charged £2.75 (1/2 Lager £1.60, lemonade £1.15). From then on I ordered 1/2 lager and 1/2 lemonade with pint glass. BEWARE!!!! Not the best of starts. At breakfast the tea and coffee were placed on the tables well before you were allowed into the dining room - hence if you didn't drink your coffee/tea immediately, by the time you had your breakfast it was cold. Asking for a 'top-up' was filling the teapot with hot water, how weak was that? Ugh! At dinner time (6.30pm) you again were not allowed into the dining room beforehand for 'health and safety reasons'. As no one was allowed to have a jug of chilled water on their table, everyone, on entering the dining room made a charge for the corner of the dining room which held 6 jugs of iced water and glasses, which caused queues and endangered 'health and safety'. Don't work!! PLEASE ALLOW JUGS OF WATER AT DINNER TIME. The choice of meals was adequate and apart from one instance when everyone who requested rice pudding was served with 'burnt' rice pudding which was returned, but still served to some people afterwards, the meals were very good, as they are with most of Alfa hotels. There seemed to be a shortage of staff as when the dining room was full -approx 100 diners for most of the week - only 4 waiters were on duty which did mean a lengthy delay of 25-35 minutes on some tables as they seemed to have about 25 guests each to attend to. In reception a file giving comments of previous patrons (approx 300 in all) mostly seemed to relate to a previous manager - J Powell - who had apparently left, and were dated mainly 2011. Only five at a count related to the present managership. I felt that the current standards needed to rise considerably. Overall I definitely wouldn't recommend this hotel and am surprised that Alfa do as it falls well below their usual standards.

Room Tip: View your room before unpacking!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank whoppa
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed in the 4 person family room, which had a double and 2 full size single beds. Room was huge, had a two seater sofa as well and lovely sea views.

There is no bath in this room, not a problem for us as we prefer showers, hot water plentiful and superb pressure.

Food very good, choice of 3 options for starters, main and pudding. Portion size good and coudn't fault the standard or service.

Reception staff very friendly and obliging, very kindly put an ice pack in the freezer for me every day.

Great location only a couple of mins walk into town or to the beach.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Cancelled a week in Scotland with for personal reasons and came to re-visit the Medehamstede Hotel in Shanklin, Isle of Wight with Travelstyle. There were many changes in personel to the last time we stayed at this hotel but the friendly atmosphere remained throughout our stay and the staff couldn't do enough for you. The food was good and the choices variable, with portions most adequate for 3 courses. I wouldn't have thought anyone went away from the tables still hungry or let down with the standard of the food. Our room was comfy and clean and the cleaners were very friendly and efficient. The entertainment was first class and the bar staff cheerful and pleasant throughout our stay. I did hear the odd moan from people, one even suggested sacking the gardener, that was just complaining for complainings sake I'm afraid. All in all a good break and would certainly stay again no question.

Room Tip: We had room 51. Adequate, clean and our cleaner (Victoria) efficient and friendly. Would ask for thi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ciscokid85
Jeannie222, Manager at Medehamstede Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Thank you for taking your kind review.

With any service industry, there are always staff changes, but we are lucky to employ happy and conscientious staff and we are pleased that you were able to comment on this. Sadly there are always those people who are professional moaners and nothing anyone can do that will make their stay a happy one.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We used the shower as soon as we arrived and it fell off the wall and hit me on the head, the soap dish that fell with it was green with grim and very unclean. I made a complaint and that was as far as it went. The breakfast was pretty basic and to be honest I have never been anywhere where you don't get to pick our own food! Having said all this the staff were extremely friendly and polite, very professional it's a shame the hotel is so out dated they don't have much to be proud of.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ian M
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had a warm welcome by the reception staff and given all the information including the dinner and breakfast times and pointed in the right direction. We had asked for a low floor when we booked as noticed there wasn't a lift and were given a double room on the ground floor overlooking the lovely gardens. The room wasn't huge and the bathroom was quite small but the bedroom appeared to have a new carpet and we didn't find a problem with the cleanliness like other reviewers have mentioned. The meals were very good with a good choice and the dining room staff seemed to work very hard to get the food out quickly. Big thanks to Jean for the excellent service.
Monday nights entertainment was the best with a singer comedian and had everyone laughing. The other nights were also pretty good. Mitch and Craig behind the bar also provided some light hearted banter.
We picked the right week for the weather and with only a short walk down the cliff path to the beach, we found a good base for a good price. All in all, we had a good time and would return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jb1875
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Right first of all when we arrived after a long day travelling the manager was too busy on the phone to notice we were there. When we finally got to introduce ourselves he came across as grumpy and rude and demanded we pay the money we owed him before viewing our room. When we reached our room after struggling upstairs with our luggage and no help we were greeted by a small dinghy twin room with very old fashioned designs and an old smell in the room, the tv was old and there was only 4 channels. The toilet and shower room was tiny and the back of the toilets there was stains of feases. The shower wasn't much better. We requested a new room and got put into a more spacious room but the bath was still old and somewhat dirty. My partner had to stand and wash herself with a bottle of water for fear of hygiene standards. We were given a towel and a tiny bar of dirty soap in our room, not great. The tea and coffee facilities were appalling. The included breakfast was very basic and barely cured my hunger, the food wasn't to a good standard either and there was a very small selection. The entertainment was very old fashioned with music I don't think my grandparents would recognise. This hotel is not for the young. When leaving the hotel for a drink the manager turned his nose up at us and gave us the wrong key to the front door. Had we not realised this before we left we would have been stuck outside all night as all doors are shut at 12pm and there are no staff around at that time. Most residents are elderly aswell. This is our 2nd night here we still have to endure another 2 nights. God knows what this might bring. I dread to think.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank burgess18
Jeannie222, Manager at Medehamstede Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

I would like to point out that I never checked you in or have even dealt with you at all so I think it’s a bit unfair calling me grumpy and rude. As you turned up in the evening, one of our bar staff would have seen you in so I’m sorry if they came across that way but I’m sure it wasn’t intentional. The hotel policy is to pay the balance on arrival and if you’d checked your confirmation you would have known this. Unfortunately, we cannot offer a porter service all the time but if you had asked or the staff felt you were unable to manage then they would have helped. I personally checked your room the following day and the wooden toilet seat is darker where it was worn in places and not stained with anything you claim but it has since been replaced to avoid any other such accusations. Our entertainment is aimed to cater for the majority of our guests with a range of styles throughout the week and although it might not have catered for your taste, we generally have a lot of positive feedback regarding it.
Again, I hadn’t seen you to give you a key, (or to turn my nose up at you!) but in the event that you had been given an ill fitting key by one of the bar staff then there is a night porter on site throughout the night after midnight so if you found yourself locked out then you could have been let in at any point of the night. I hope the remainder of your stay was more to your satisfaction.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Melbourne - Ardenlea Hotel
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Somerton Lodge Hotel
Somerton Lodge Hotel
#25 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Medehamstede Hotel? Share your experiences!