“OMG where to start”
Review of Ocean View Hotel

Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #16 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Okay where to start. Let's start by asking you to read my other views you will see we are easy to please very rare I leave anything negative, but this hotel was truly awful.

The good bits :
Location - lovely
Staff - very friendly, very helpful. Go work somewhere else you can be proud of.

I bought this as a present for my husband. It was a KGB deal but so what I still expect clean and fit for purpose. I've bought many vouchers through various sites but never have I been made to feel like cattle class.

Upon arrival we were welcomed my a very helpful gentleman who told us what time we had to be down for dinner (6pm ) and breakfast! Okay then off to our room, room 108. This room is not fit for purpose. Carpet has holes, net curtain has holes, bed cover stains, furniture out of the 50s then to the bathroom this was truly shocking. Towel so smelly we went and bought our own. Primrose yellow suite so dirty, Lino well that was a joke. Mould every where, no toiletries or nice touches. The walls and door was filthy.

No balcony just a fire escape anyone can walk pass your room.

Dinner, umm. Set menu awful , how they get away with this I have no idea. When the wine waiter arrived we ordered 2 G & T when he bought them back we had to pay at the table no adding to your room. At dinner you have to say if you want tea or coffee for breakfast, at breakfast you have the dinner menu and have to order dinner, how can you know what you want for dinner at 8am! Madness.

This hotels caters for coach parties of a certain age, they should stick with that.

I would never go back never stayed anywhere quite as dirty, been made to feel like a second class citizen because we bought a deal.

If you are reading this from the hotel. I would say never judge those if us that like to save money you never know who we are. Not that it matters but we are both professional with our own business you could of had our trade again but not in a million years, but I don't think you care. Shame on you for thinking this is acceptable.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Tom_Debz
There are newer reviews for Ocean View Hotel

Reviewed April 14, 2014

we have just returned from a short break on the Isle of Wight, staying at this hotel. although the décor is somewhat dated the hotel is clean and warm. The staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble. some folk have mentioned portion size in the meals but with 3 courses we found the amount was perfect for our needs. the entertainment was good quality. The hotel also has a nice pool, a snooker room, indoor bowls and table tennis plus a comfy TV lounge. We didn't get chance to use all these but had we been staying longer we would have done so. The hotel is right next to the lift and stairs to go down to the beach and just a short walk from town

Room Tip: We had rooms on the ground floor with access to outdoor space which was fantastic for the children
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Pauline568
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Wonderful Hotel, fabulous room,with panoramic stunning view over the ocean. Large picture windows lots of room with modern furnishings. Very clean.
The food was fresh,and the meals were lovely. The menu was varied,with three courses for both breakfast and dinner,and a choice of four dishes. The only thing wrong was that we were a little cramped in the dining room,and the service was poor. We had tea in the coffee pot and coffee in the tea pot one morning, which wasn't nice for me as the taste of tea makes me heave. Twice we had to ask for butter for the toast and one morning no milk. On the last morning our table wasn't set, and we had to wait over half an hour for fruit juice and porridge to arrive. Also the first evening we were told to go to the dining room and sit on tables with red napkins, then we were growled at later because we weren't sat at a table with white napkins. I did not appreciate the attitude!
The rest of the staff were lovely.
We left 2 (not cheap) plastic wine glasses on the dressing table one day, and when we returned from a trip out they had gone. I phoned down to reception, and they were returned before dinner. Where they had been I can't even guess.
The sandwiches for packed lunches are not nice, they are on gaggy bread with only basic beef,cheese etc. not an onion or mayo in sight .
If you go for a swim in the indoor pool you are watched over by an official.
There is entertainment every night,which is basic singing but only after the dreaded bingo! Think it would be better having a 'bingo' room and a separate entertainment room. The Hotel is big enough. Not all enjoy bingo.
It is ideally situated, near to the town and on the promenade.
Again I was unable to get down to the beach because of breathing problems I knew I would not be able to get back up. There is a lift directly outside the hotel but make sure it us working before you book. It wasn't working for us so spoiled our stay.
We did enjoy our week but it could have been so much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Earley2
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is the 3rd time I've stayed at this Hotel for an organised Square Dance weekend and it always offers very good value for the price. My room (11) was well appointed and clean with a balcony overlooking the road. The meals are of good quality but not too large and my only small complaint was the restaurant service. At one breakfast our tables order got lost, so a long wait ensued, and the waiter was full of excuses. I don't want to hear a long list of excuses, just an apology and a quick resolution.
The staff are generally very helpful and do a good job, but they suffer from a dire lack of resources. Too few staff to go around.

3  Thank ManicUSAVisitor
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Just returned from a five day coach trip staying here,can,t fault it,very clean,staff most helpful,food delicious at all times. We were a group of 44 and everyone enjoyed our stay and would be happy to stay at this hotel again.Thank you Robinsons holidays it was great.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor twin overlooking the sea with patio door opening on to a lawn ideal it was roo...
4  Thank sheila l
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed for long weekend from 14th March. I was not very well so spent a significant amount of time in my room. I booked a single room but was given room 109 which had a double and single bed. There was a seperate bathroom with a bath and shower. My room didnt have a sea view but it was nice to have a balcony and the view of the other buildings was not an eyesore. The rooms were comfortable and clean althought the furniture was a bit dated but for the price i dont think you can moan.
There is a lovely bar and seperate lounge. They had entertainment on and a disco in a second lounge.
We visited the snooker room and bowls green which are a nice added touch.
The staff were friendly and polite at all times.
The food was nice but could be better but the service in the dining hall was great and the waiting staff work very hard.
The only thing about the location is the cliff lift is closed and there is a very deep slope to go down to the seafront and coming up is 81 steps and slopes so very difficult to get to.
I would definately stay here again and recommend it to anyone that doesnt expect the Ritz and is realistic about this type of priced hotel.

Room Tip: Loved Room 109 but room 112 has a great view
1  Thank mandimoow
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Although this was a nice Hotel, I personally did not find it very Disabled friendly, I requested a walk in shower, also had elderly mother, but had a bath instead, on 1st floor had to come out of lift and then down 3 steps and up 6 to get to room, my mother could not take her walker up to room, bathroom certainly needs some refurbishment, no complaints about the food

Room Tip: Make sure you request a sea view room, if you are disabled ask for a ground floor room with a walk i...
2  Thank Hazel B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Channel View Hotel
#4 of 29 in Sandown
Trouville Hotel
Trouville Hotel
#3 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!