Shanklin Hotel
$116
$76
$87
$73
All reviewsalfa travelsea viewalfa coachshort mat bowlsdining roomcoach partiesrestaurant staffisle of wightolder generationgood sizeswimming poolmeal timestable tennisreception staffself drivegreat entertainmentevening entertainment
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights on a coach trip (50 of us) and found the staff pleasant and efficient, breakfasts basic but full English freshly cooked. The rooms clean, beds comfortable and towels fresh and fluffy. The bathroom needed refurbishing, but was clean. There was a varied menu for the evening meal and considering it is a 3 star hotel, the food was good and freshly cooked. We even had the daily papers delivered. No complaints, other than for the seagulls waking us rather too early in the morning!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We have just returned from a 5 day coach holiday to the Shanklin Hotel. I am disabled and have to use a wheelchair, usually coach tour hotels have limited access, basic and not very helpful. Not so with this hotel. Access to our first floor room was quite easy although only one lift but hey, I could wait I am on holiday. Our room had a beautiful view out to sea, and for what television we did watch it was a lovely size flat screen TV.The dining room was easily accessed and after the first meal my place at the table was made available at every mealtime, so my husband could push my chair straight up to the table, The meals were excellent with a good choice and the puddings, well, my mouth is watering just writing about them. Four days went by before we went to the beach. Not realising there was a lift. What a surprise. a lovely promenade with small cafe's for a drink and the most delicious Ice Cream. The only downside with this hotel was the beds which I found very hard. But that again is just preference.Most of the guests appear to be in our age group Sixty several but we still appreciate a good hotel and this is one. All in all I had a very happy and memorable stay at the Shanklin

Room Tip: Pay extra for sea view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SunseekerYork
Reviewed June 18, 2014

stayed 5 nights with coach party .very comfortable stay very pleasant helpful staff ,vegetarian menu was a little basic but otherwise good food would definitely stay again but would ask for sea view room .The entertainment was a little dated but nice seating areas around foyer where you could sit and chat. Hotel very near to sea nice to have a stroll after evening meal .

Room Tip: would have liked a sea view, could here entertainment above our room, and large tree outside window,
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Stayed at Shanklin Hotel last week with a group of 36 friends. Overall the hotel rated highly on food, accommodation, staff helpfulness - The best night entertainment is the Nostalgia Night - a real hoot and some lovely memories recalled. As we all holiday together frequently, and use these holidays as a chance to catch up on news, we did find the 'policy' of having to sit at same table with same people for every meal, defeated this purpose.
Totally understand why this is done when coaches are made up of people who are strangers - but no flexibility ???
Do take care if you have room with step into bathroom - I managed very nicely to cope with this until last day & then fell full length......I am sure people in room below must have thought ceiling about to cave in !!!.
Hotel was very helpful for the one couple with mobility problems, giving them a room with 'wet room' shower.
We were extremely lucky with the weather, so it was a shame that there is no outside sitting area to relax and enjoy sunshine. That said, we were lucky that out and about every day -

Room Tip: Ask for one without step into bathroom !!
1  Thank Christine S
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for four 4 nights June 2nd to June 6th 2014. It is a really comfortable hotel in an enviable elevated position. All the staff were very helpful but I must say the restaurant staff certainly raised the profile of this hotel. The food was exceptionally good for the amount of people who were being catered for at breakfast and evening meal. The evening entertainment was ok but nothing special. The entertainment was geared around the average age of the guests.
The only negative I could say is that I paid extra for a sea view which was exceptional but outside the hotel was a building site which slightly marred the experience for me.

Room Tip: Our room was F on the first floor but as I said building site opposite