“Long weekend in Shanklin”
Review of Holliers Hotel

Holliers Hotel
Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Went to IOW with Just Go Holidays as have always wanted to see how they could do it for the money! This hotel doesn't deserve the bad reviews some people have left here. It is rather tired round the edges, however the food is plentiful, and to our surprise we were offered a choice of main meals so didn't have to have the carvery every night. However the carvery is excellent with a choice of three roasts and never ending quantities of vegetables. The vegetarian options were good as well. The hosts certainly work extremely hard! We asked for a quiet room and were happy with the one we were given at the back.

4  Thank AnthonyCambridge

Reviewed July 24, 2012

As soon as we looked into toilet of our room I reckonised review about small ensuite I had read online before setting off. You definitely wouldn't have room to fall off toilet. All I can say is although hotel is tired, bed linen and towels nice and clean, food excellent, host very bright and cheerful, we had a great time, lots of laughs. I think too many people expect rather alot for the money we paid. I have a picture postcard photograph from the room of all the lovely thatched properties.

2  Thank janet m
Reviewed July 23, 2012

No lift. Copious breakfast but got fed up with roast and the limited choice for dinner. Staff friendly but wish Steve the owner had put gloves on his bare hands when refilling the serving dishes with the roast potatoes and yorkshire puds whch came as rather a shock as Mandy carved the meat wearing gloves. Dropped food was ignored.

The bedroom had been decorated recently but was tiny making moving around the room difficult and the chair appeared to be for a midget. Only a small bar of soap was provided. You will need to take a shower cap to keep hair dry as it is impossible to switch off the water without getting wet as the shower head is fixed (and not suitable for a tall person). I would also take cleaners for the bathroom (bath not cleaned during our stay) and despite the recent redecoration there was signs of black mildrew most likely caused by the ivy growing on the roof and causing the leak in the roof and having no electric extractor fan. We slept with all the windows open to try and get rid of the smell from the bathroom. The bedroom furnishings were bright and in good order.

On the plus side the hotel has a really lovely outlook and the bus stop is immediately outside. With hind sight would have had the evening meal elsewhere. Recommend a room at the back to avoid noise but not too high up - though the front ones have a prettier outlook but you could find the entertainment noisey. Bar area on shabby side.

Room Tip: Pick one at the back for a quiet night's sleep and lower floor if not fit as there is no lift.
4  Thank UKBarbie007
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I've just returned from a few days at The Holliers Shanklin, and all I can say is don't book it, the room we had was in need of total refurbishment, I couldn't wait to leave.

When I handed my key back I wasn't even asked if we enjoyed are stay, Although the bar was meant to be open most of the day if you wondered in during the afternoon there was nobody to be seen to serve you, luckily there is a lovely pub next door that always made you feel welcome with excellent service

5  Thank Joan D
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This particular Hotel in Shanklin Holliers was the most disgusting place I have ever had to lay my head, the floor was not swept all week in the dinning area, there was two dead flies laying in the window bay where we had to eat and sat next to, cobwebs with spiders in.
The toilet in our room had a loose tile on the floor that was cracked and we could trip up, there was filthy dirt behind the sink, the door handles were full of grime, the room was not even hoovered and the beds needed a health certificate to sleep in them. I would be highly embarrased if I lived in this manner, let alone guest stay and take their money.
The Holliers Hotel should carry a government health warning, ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Room Tip: Plenty of other bed and breakfasts and Hotels to choose from in the area.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank MISS HELEN B
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We visited the hotel to sample the carvery and found it not only good value for money but plentyful.in the generous serving of meats and ample vegetables as well. During our week in shanklin we visited the hotel during the evenings and found the entertainment very good indeed the land lord Steve and his wife dawn were wonderful hosts and despite not staying at the hotel we were made to feel very welcome each time we visited. Laura behind the bar had a great.personality and was a great asset to the hotel team. Throughly enjoyed the time we spent it really made our holiday very special

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Trevor1958
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stayed here for one night just before the festival started and found the chef very attentive, in the reception, the bar, sorting out the rooms....(he did everything!! and with a smile and a great sense of humour) there was another lady there when I arrived also who was lovely and service was great but the younger staff, a young man in particular seems to be uninterested and in the job for a laugh who doesnt seem to like the idea of the customer coming first. The room was fine, bed was super comfortable and bathroom ok although could have been swept. I would definately stay again as I dont like to judge on one visit unless its awful which this wasnt. Outside seating is really nice, piano bar is lovely and its all situated in the centre of the village which is great. Thanks very much :-)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo