“Lovely little place”

Pencil Cottage
Ranked #6 of 80 Restaurants in Shanklin
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Described as a tea room, but serves very good lunches
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stopped of in Shanklin and myself and my boyfriend had a cream tea, worth the money was very nice and staff was very friendly.

derick h, Owner at Pencil Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Thanks for your review and we are pleased that you enjoyed our home-made cream tea. It is always good to hear from new customers and our team will be on hand with another warm welcome next time you are in the area.

There are newer reviews for Pencil Cottage

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Food was home cooked and great. Sat outside in the wonderful sunshine and, unlike a few other restaurants that are on the main road, this one is away from all the traffic.

derick h, Owner at Pencil Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit and that our tranquil garden met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back soem time soon.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

This was my third visit to the Isle of Wight and Shanklyn so I knew where to have a very nice cream tea. The garden is an ideal setting for refreshments and a bite to eat. Homemade cakes and a smile. Thoroughly enjoyed! Highly recommend.

derick h, Owner at Pencil Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We love seeing returning customers and the team will be ready and waiting with a warm welcome next time you return.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

We dropped in near to the closing time and we couldn't ask for more, attentive staff and lovely owners who took time out to talk to our 1 year old daughter - I have found that sometimes you can be treated as an inconvenience with small children but not here!

The cream tea itself was superb - light, fluffy scones and enough jam and cream to keep everyone happy.

The main reason we chose this particular establishment was that the access for a pushchair, most others in the area were challenging at best - this was the reason to visit today but the food and staff are the reason we will return.

derick h, Owner at Pencil Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are really pleased that you and your family enjoyed your visit and can assure you of an equally warm welcome when you return.

Lisa & Derick

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Stopped here for a pot of tea and got tempted by their cream tea which was wonderful. I was staying nearby and returned for a ham salad which was fantastic and huge. My final visit was for a jacket potato. All the meals were delicious I only wished I'd had room to try the home made desserts!!
The service here (and I sat at a table near the counter) was efficient and friendly. As I was sitting on my own all the staff went out of their way to chat and pass a comment. It's nicely decorated, has plenty of space outside, a lovely children's play house and on one occasion had (very good) live music. Old fashioned service with good food at reasonable prices, what's not to like.

Thank you for your excellent review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Lisa & Derick