Gracellie Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
Shanklin Hotel(Shanklin)
  • Breakfast included
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsisle of wightsea viewlarge hotelcoach tripa ground floor roomfull englishevery eveninglong weekendlovely weekendkippersweekend breakdarrenpaddyentertainmentsingerislandtlc
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Fancied a break and asked red funnel to book the hotel as I felt lazy. The ferry ride over was very gentile and I was greeted at the hotel by Dan who cant do enough for guests! They said they had a party on but the bar above was privatre and available to guests. The party seemed inviting though so I went in there! There was a very great atmosphere and everyone made me feel welcome,,, A good time was had be all but I needed sleep and retired at 3am. The room was sea view and the bed seriously the best I have ever slept in! I dont remember much except breakfast finished at 10:00 I went down and Hazel the manageress said she would cook a full english for me. Thank you so much to all the staff it was a great I love this hotel!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank fillipo100
Phil W, Owner at Gracellie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

So glad you enjoyed everything. We will always do our best and if we fail we will do our utmost to correct. You will always be welcome here and look forward to seeing you soon...

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I am a regular traveller (usually for business) to the isle, and have stayed at various hotels throughout the whole island, but The Gracellie Hotel is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed at. Hazel, Dan, and Fiona are great hosts, the rooms are of a superb quality both in decor, cleanliness, and comfort. I read through the reviews prior to inputting my own and could only relate to the highly positive ones. I suspect the negative ones came from the elderly/disabled as there aren't any lifts, but maybe they should have done more research. As an able-bodied person who loves to run, surf and swim, eat, drink a beer and play pool and be entertained, I guarantee this to be the best hotel you can find. It is dog friendly and Vince is a marvellous mascot. Loved the hotel so much, I refuse to stay anywhere else on the Isle of Wight!

Room Tip: No lifts for disabled, but plenty of ground floor accommodation I believe.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank 379buffy

Thank you for our best review!
I think (you don't say) that you are Berlinda?
In any case you will always be welcome here. Thank you so much from all the staff. we will work hard to improve too, so that we can get 6 stars if they ever become an option!.
Please introduce yourself on the next trip, there will be a bucket of chilled wine ready for you....

Reviewed October 29, 2012

The hotel delivered everything it was supposed to, ie. Bed,breakfast, bath/shower, bar facilities that said it was the end of the season and we appeared to be the only guests staying in what probibly is a lively summer hotel, consequently there was little or no atmosphere with the reception all but closed, dining room closed for evening meal option and an overall stark appearance throughout the hotel.
There was a private Halloween Party in the bar on Saturday night which you had to endure if you wanted to use the facility.
It may be an idea for the hotel management to take their dog for a walk in the morning rarther than allow it to complete its ablutions on the terrace immediately outside the restaurant in full view of those enjoying their beakfast!!!! When told the receptionist/waitress seemed unconcerned.
We decided to leave after the first night of a five night booking
Why your fault in the title? You should never have taken the booking and we should have forcast a summer hotel would not be geared for a winter break. Perhaps if we ever return we will try in the summer months.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank johnluketilley
Phil W, Guest Relations Manager at Gracellie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

So sorry you were not 100% satisfied with your experience. We will take your comments on board and try and improve our service as we intend to improve year on year and even week by week. Hope to see you again soon and please let us know how you think we are doing. Your genuine concerns are of the utmost importance to us. Take care ... Phil

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Picked this hotel based on TA reviews and was not disappointed. Room was nice with lovely views of the sea. Bed was without a doubt the best I have ever slept in! Was difficult to get out for breakfast but was very happy I did. Food was delicious, good quality and plentiful. Staff couldn't do enough for u and were very friendly and welcoming. Wouldn't hesitate in returning!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Lilymaca
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Didn't have a booking but liked the look of this hotel online, which was in a superb location and not far from the station, and decided to take a chance.

Slightly annoying at first as I waited in the reception area for 10 minutes or so without anyone there, so left and actually phoned the hotel several times without response. I liked the look of the hotel so I tried later and booked in with a very friendly young lady, who was also extremely nice and genuinely welcoming when I arrived in person, which more than made up for me having to come back.

The (single) room was contemporary and felt very homely. Everything was immaculate - sheets, walls, bathroom, carpet - very good quality and also very peaceful. The bed was also very comfortable and I slept very well indeed. Only small niggles were that the TV was of the old fashioned portable style and the sound took quite a lot of fiddling to come on. Having some "do not disturb" signs would also help matters.

I didn't spend a lot of time at the Gracellie but the staff were all very kind and friendly. When I left the hotel, the gentleman was quick to offer a handshake and was also polite and professional.

Overall, it was very good and I would recommend it. It was my first time visiting the island and I felt very welcome indeed - they clearly genuinely care about what they do and the people who stay there and, apart from a few minor niggles, it was difficult to fault. I didn't eat there so this rating doesn't take that into consideration.

At £45 a night for a single (room only) in September, I very much doubt you could find better value and I would certainly visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms quieter towards the rear, sea views would be spectacular from this location
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo