“Excellent meal.”
Review of Mamma Mia Restaurant - CLOSED

Mamma Mia Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mamma Mia is a family run Italian restaurant aiming to provide you with the finest ingredients and the best quality available.We have a extensive menu ranging from fresh home made pizzas, pastas to local fresh fish and succulent meat dishes including filet steak and duck breast.We stock a great range of wines all sourced from Italy and a fully stocked bar with a range of Italian lagers.Children welcome.we have seating for up to 170 people.Come and enjoy your meal with us at Mamma Mias.
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal.”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Visited early evening September 19th, hadn't booked but plenty of room at 6.15, the restaurant filled up quickly whilst we were there. Excellent menu almost too much to choose from. I choose mushrooms in a Gorgonzola sauce to start with and then penne pasta served with prawns and smoked salmon in a cream and tomato sauce, both delicious. My daughter had a mozarella and tomato salad and then as she has a small appetite a childs!! portion of penne with roasted vegetables (still too large for her to finish) These with a bottle of water and a large glass of red wine came to just over £31, excellent value. Very welcoming and good quick service. This was the last night of our short break in Shanklin and rounded it off beautifully. Thank you.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Patsy_272013

Halifax, United Kingdom
“Mixed standards”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We read the reviews and thought that this would be a great place to go with our 2 young children.
We got a table easily, although I now realise that we were lucky as the place was full within half an hour.
Our main meals were delicious, although I've never known a carbonara made with chicken and red onion before (we had to pick out the huge chunks of onion for my som to eat it). I really like that the children could pick virtually anything off the menu.
It was the side dishes and accompaniments that were atrocious. The side salad cost nearly £5 and was iceberg lettuce (slightly brown), tomato and cucumber. The vegetables were almost completely mush.
Shame really.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank 1412kc
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Should have gone to Fine Nammet...”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I'm not one to complain, but I felt the experience me and my girlfriend had at Mamma Mia's was unacceptable.

Firstly, we were waiting for a while before we were seated. Admittedly, the restaurant was busy - and seemingly not enough staff to deal with the customers that were already in and those waiting to be seated. When we finally got shown to a table, we noticed that several other couples came in, waited, and actually LEFT before anybody even greeted them. Not a great start.

A long time passed from here before our drinks order was taken, and a longer-than-expected wait for the drinks to arrive.

We chose to share the garlic pizza bread for starter, which again took ages to arrive, and when it did, was burnt underneath. Like eating a massive crisp.

Then, while we waited about half an hour after the starter for our main meal to arrive (having to ask the waitress twice when our food would be ready) a young boy, probably the child of one of the staff came in and was running up and down the restaurant for a little while.

Main courses eventually turned up - the vegetable risotto that I chose was a mistake. The rice seemed barely cooked. I'm no food expert, but I didn't expect to be finding parts of the risotto covered in pepper - an overpowering taste. The vegetable lasagne that my girlfriend had - she couldn't eat it. It was sloppy, didn't have enough cheese, and literally brimming with sweetcorn. After a few spoonfuls, we had to say something.

The blonde waitress was very pleasant about the situation, and told her boss (presumably "Mamma") who came over and seemed very defensive and reluctant to correct the situation. We didn't feel that she cared about our dissatisfaction, but she did agree to cancel the "lasagne" off the bill. However, even though I had eaten just over half of mine before I got the the unbearable dustings of pepper, she wouldn't wipe that off the bill - but took away my plate with almost half of my food that I was still paying for!

So, my girlfriend was back to square one and ordered a margherita pizza...which arrived in less than 5 minutes! This came quicker than the drinks we ordered earlier... Like the garlic bread though, this was burnt underneath, yet sloppy on top. The tomatoes looked and tasted like those from a tin, and from what I remember, the pizza was very light on cheese.

We had long since decided that we wouldn't be having a pudding and wanted to leave as quickly as possible.

All in all, we were both very unhappy with this restaurant. The two young waitresses that were buzzing around serving the full restaurant were pleasant and I cannot fault them - from what I could see, they were doing the job of 3 or even 4 staff.

Pricewise, it's around what I would expect from any half-decent restaurant (providing the food is up to scratch), but I wouldn't consider this to be value for what we got.

Atmosphere - seemed OK until we mentioned the issues with the food. Then the mood changed, leaving us feeling unwanted, as if we were causing trouble.

We had set out that night to go to Fine Nammet which is just down the road, having read top reviews on Trip Advisor. As we had only got to the island a few hours before and not booked, we saw it was packed so planned to leave it for another night. In hindsight, we'd have been better waiting.

• Visited September 2013
7 Thank DobbyGrey
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Went the this restaurant on the second night of our stay. Food was not nice at all and not very good value for money. However, the service was good and the staff and owner were very friendly.

Visited April 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Brilliant menu choice, cracking italian”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Went on a Tuesday evening about 7ish, hadn't booked as we thought we would be fine on Tuesday and it seats quite a few. Within half an hour the place was pretty much full. One of the best Italian menus (for choice) I have seen. The food was absolutely lovely, from my daughter's pizza to the wife's lobster fettuccini, all 5 of us cleaned our plates. The side dish of veg I ordered must have had 7 or 8 different veg in it. Very reasonably priced too - we almost went back another night. Highly recommended, a real find ! - but advise booking.

Visited September 2013