“Magnificent”

Ranked #47 of 51 Shanklin B&B and Inns
russ121
“Magnificent”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

What a place!! A fantastic b&b I could not be more pleased! the room was stunning with fantastic facilities tea and coffee making facilities etc it was well presented with clean crisp bedding. Graham and Sally couldn't be any more accommodating the breakfast is to die for and Graham's knowledge of the island is unrivaled he knew every single place to eat that was descent on the island and places to visit Highly recommended. Just can't believe the poor comments by others!!! Oh well guess they found a nasty immitation of this b&b as this one is ace! Thanks Graham And Sally and can't wait when we return in April 2013 :-)

• Stayed April 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Had a lovely time staying in mount house!

The place was very clean and the service was great! grandpa and grandma were lovely! Grandpa graham has a vast knowledge about the town and places. he's very keen to share information with you! Grandma sally is quiet and very polite! oh! her breakfast is very yummilicious too! (in my opinion, it makes a perfect start for my day!)

great location (5-10 mins walk/stroll) to the bus station and beach!)
very clean and cozy room/house (ultimate comfort after a long day of sight seeing)
great hospitality from owners!

minor prob with shower head. water isnt strong enough, but it isnt a real issue since the water is warm. (bear in mind that i like showering under a blast)

my room was a little tiny with limited space to move around the room. but not complaining because i just sleep in there. and for the price, mount house is extremely value for money! would highly recommend this place!

xx
girl from Singapore!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
leicester
Reviewed August 23, 2012

we stayed here in july for 3 days ..the hotel is very nice and the owners are great ..graham made us feel very welcome and sally is lovely to ...the room we stayed in was fab so clean and very roomy ...the decor was lovely and it was cleaned every day ...the breakfasts was out this world and plentyful we did not eat till night as it kept us goin all day ...graham knows lots about the island and can tell u where to go to the best places ...the hotel is located roughly 10 mins walk to front not far at all ..i would recomend this hotel to anyone lookin for a lovely quiet hotel with good hosts and a grt location ...if i had any neg to to say it would be the shower in our room was a bit small only room to stand in not move around ...but as i say its only a minor niggle .....the hotel is grt we will deffo return again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
sheffield
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This place is FAB. Having read some of the other reviews I think some of these people must have stayed in a different place to us. On arrival they made us feel very welcome and they were friendly, when shown to the room it was very clean and well equipped with tea and coffee facilities, a television, hairdryer, alarm clock, and ironing facilities available. Bed sheets were changed mid way through the week. The breakfast was very good and there was a wide range of choice all provided well. Sally and Graham both did more than enough to help us during our stay and Graham's knowledge of the island was fantastic, as well as recommending places to eat out at on an evening. The location was close enough to the beach and village centre, but it was far enough away so that there wasn't any noise. Parking was adequate and easy. In my line of work i stay in a lot of Bed and Breakfasts, if they were all like Mount House i would be very pleased. Will definitely be returning next year and would recommend this place to anybody. Thank you Sally and Graham for a lovely stay :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ian c
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I have stayed in many Bnbs across the UK, & can easily say that I have stayed in better BnBs than this one. Dont get me wrong, its very nice. Nothing utterly disgusting about the place, but just that I didn't feel really satisfied. Stayed for 2 nights.
The room was small. And the linens were clean, but I dont think they were cleaned after the last guest left. And I brought this to the notice of the kind gentleman who was the caretaker there, but he seemed rather uncomfortable to hear a complaint & basically did not bother to change the linens the next day even though i complained.
The breakfast was good, I am spoilt by the scottish bnbs' breakfasts so no brownie points here. We did have a small confusion the 2nd morning over the breakfast, & we were in the dining hall, (with other guests) when i said very politely, "maybe i misunderstood, but we meant the full veg breakfast. The point was it was a confusion, we misunderstood initially, but it was the reaction of the host that was disturbing. He sort of became defensive, raised his pitch as if I had held him guilty for something. Anyways he was an elderly gentleman, i didnt take offence.
The host was very good in sharing his stories & experiences.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I was going to give zero rating but still give one for letting us check early on our first day.

The only good thing I can comment is the 15 mins walking distance to the beach.The room is small and bedsheet is so dirt we couldn't sleep on it without our cloth.

However, that is not the worst thing. The service is really really rubbish. I noticed there are still some people said the owners are friendly so maybe they only treat us that way.

Sally and Graham, if you ever have a chance to care about your B&B's reputation, and want to read guests reviews. Can I ask some questions please:

1) How long have you been in this business? Sally, you were talking rubbish on your guest in the kitchen. Do you think I am deaf and can't understand any English?

2) Can I suggest next time if your guests forgot the breakfast time (deadly short btw), can you just simply let them know it's finish? I believe most of people will understand and have breakfast outside.. You don't have to rush to me, pointed to me and shouted how much touble I gave you. I just can't believe you run your own business like that.

Mount House, you totally ruined my holiday in Isle of Wight. How could you do that to me.

My friends, I promise I didn't make it up.. the lady Sally, she was so rude to me and actually made me cry!!!!

Won't come back again for sure. And would never recommend it to my friends.

Jin (Guest - stay @ 27/08/2011)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jin_5418
UK
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Five members of my family needed a hotel to stay for my daughters wedding, over an August week-end, and we were recommended the Mount House from a family friend.
We found the hotel very clean and comfortable and the breakfast a great start to the day.
Graham and Sally couldn't be more helpful assisting us with taxis and suggestions for eating out. We were also allowed to use their facilities with some final cake decorating we needed to complete. Thank you for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LongfellowUk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Nightingale Hotel, Bar & Restaurant
#17 of 51 in Shanklin
The Avenue
The Avenue
#16 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Mount House? Share your experiences!