“August 2013”
Review of Carlton Hotel

Carlton Hotel
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Fantastic location, convenient for both the beach and the shops. Excellent service from very friendly staff, the rooms were clean and very comfortable. The hotel can also provide high quality lunches and teas at very reasonable prices. Wouldn't hesitate to return for another visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Carlton Hotel

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We took our 8 month old to the Isle of Wight for his first holiday and stayed at this hotel. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make things easy for us. They provided a high chair, entertained our baby and gave us some great suggestions of restaurants and attractions for young children. The gardens here are fantastic too. It's like being somewhere in the med when the sun is out. Bob's done a great job, you can see why he won so many awards. Breakfast was good and the seafood platters we had for lunch were brilliant too. Definitely would stay here again. Thanks :-)

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and 4 month old baby based on the high ratings but I struggled to find the same positives.
The positives we did find were that the staff were very friendly and welcoming and the lounge area was a welcoming and useable space. The location was ok although further out than I realised and the sea views were beautiful. Parking wasn't an issue at all although I think there were only two other parties staying at the hotel at the same time as us.
But now come the negatives: I found the whole place very dirty, huge cobwebs in the lounge and bedroom and a pervading smell of a building which had been smoked heavily in for years (until the law changed) and of stale grease. The decor is very dated and not what I expected for £85 a night - stuffed tigers, brass ornaments and chintz galore! Having asked for a room with space for a travel cot (we had to bring our own although in hindsight this was probably a good thing) I assumed wrongly we would be offered a room with a bath but sadly not. Instead we had a room with a very generous en suite and a lovely looking shower however the water pressure in the shower was appalling, it took ages just to get my hair wet all the way through, it didn't heat up properly and as the window in the bathroom was broken it was a chilly and miserable experience. The TV in the room was tiny with very poor signal and the mattress on the bed uncomfortable. Packing our things up in the morning we discovered dirty tissues under the bed - nice! The breakfast was ok, it was freshly cooked and not as greasy as I was expecting based on the smell but the sausages were cheap value sausages and the timings 8.30-9 ridiculous.
Had we been staying for more than 1 night I would have raised these issues with the owners and probably looked to stay somewhere else however, I couldn't face the aggro of it while on holiday for one nights stay.
I tend to review most places I stay at and like to think that I offer balanced and fair reviews,both positive and negative - I had to leave a few weeks before writing this one as I was so angry at the feeling of being "ripped off".
Having said all this the saving grace of the hotel is the staff who were warm, welcoming and friendly - I still wouldn't stay there again though.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Tyloo
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Spent 4 nights with Bob and Anne (excellent and helpful hosts) at the Carlton in Shanklin. Well situated with great sea views and 5 mins from the main high street, this a a spotlessly clean hotel with very tidy and functional rooms. We stayed in an ensuite with sea views (supplement) and verandah which gave us some spectacular views over Sandown Bay. Other than breakfast which was good, we spent very little time in the hotel but I think the decor is looking a little tired in the main areas. Breakfast was hearty and we were well served by Maz - who is a treasure - nothing is too much and the menu appears to be very flexible - one small change would really make a difference and that is to provide quality sausages - that said the rest was first class. We enjoyed our stay and will seriously consider visiting again should we return to the IOW in the near term - thank you Bob and Anne

Room Tip: The 2 bath ensuite rooms with sea views and verandahs,are by far the best
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Spent 6 nights in this fabulous friendly hotel. Could not have been made more welcome by Bob, Anne and their family. Staff were exceptional and we shared a happy time with them. Will definitely return and recommend it to all our friends. Thanks a million.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but I would think the sea views are stunning.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

What more can you ask for? Lovely views, easy to find, friendly staff, great breakfast choice...
We booked a last minute break for 2 nights at the Carlton and they arranged the ferry as well. The hotel itself is really well kept and offers exceptional views of the sea. The breakfast menu was excellent, lots of choice and the staff were extremely friendly.
Definitely a hotel we would recommend to others and if we were to visit the Isle Of Wight again, we'd go back to the Carlton without hesitation!
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed October 2, 2013

spent two nights at this comfortable and well appointed hotel.
the accommodation and food was of the highest order.
Anne and Bob were perfect host,and the assistance given to us was excellent.
we shall return.
we recommend this hotel to all would be users.

signed
the love family

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank f l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Clifton
#2 of 51 in Shanklin
Trouville Hotel
Trouville Hotel
#3 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!