“Love this campsite! And the carp fishing in the little lake.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ninham Country Holidays

Ninham Country Holidays
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Love this campsite! And the carp fishing in the little lake.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

We have stayed here at least 3 times now and really love this campsite. It is a perfect location for us whenever we choose to go to the Isle of Wight. It's easy to get to from the ferry (by car) and once there it is great for using as a base. We tend to stick to the Shanklin area when we go out for a drink and something to eat but if you take the car during the day it is ideal for seeing the whole island.

It is very easy to walk to the pubs from the campsite. It takes about 25 minutes. We love going to Shanklin and also Sandown, having a few beers and something to eat and then wandering back in the dark through the next door holiday park and then along the path between the fields. It's nice and creepy! Take a torch!!

The pitches are nice and large- we have camped here in a tent but also recently taken our van to sleep in. The toilet blocks are ok for a campsite- of course it would be nice to have new, shiny ones but it's not really an issue.

My favourite thing about this site is the lake for carp fishing. I love it! For some reason I seem to have pretty good luck here. They are not big things but if you want to pull a fair few out in an afternoon's fishing then this lake is perfect. I use my pole here and I think I have the 'record' (LOL) with a 6 pounder common carp. They also have plenty of little roach/ rudd hybrids for the kiddies to catch- they have lovely orange colouring and bright red fins and you can see them swimming about near the surface. Bear in mind there are a few rules as expected and you can't fish with boilies- which makes sense as it's a small lake and small fish so natural baits are best. I have not fished the smaller lake next to the bigger one but I have seen signs of the fish in there. Maybe I'll give that a go next time we're here.

The campsite also has quite a few great walks nearby. We can always find somewhere to go or places to see when we're here and the cost of the site also helps in keeping us coming back.

Regarding the staff- we've never had a single issue with the staff at Ninham. Kate was fab and everyone else we've met have been kind, courteous, polite and helpful.We shall definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BRUCIE_lucy_Brian

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Me and my family stayed in Ninham House for a week in July. The house itself has been attractively refurbished, however there were problems with the facilities right from the start of our holiday. The ceiling began leaking after we had only been there one night, and although we reported it to the staff, it was another 48 hours until they fixed it, meaning we had to have buckets and bowls on the landing catching the water. The tumble dryer didn't work, and the dish washer also broke down half way through our stay. However, the main issue, and the reason I would urge people not to stay here, is the rude attitude of the staff whilst we were there, and the appalling way we were treated by the staff at Ninham once we were back at home. While we were there, a member of staff spoke rudely to us, telling us that sand had been found at the bottom of the tumble dryer in the public utility room, that we were having to use as the dryer in the house was broken. He also said that a nappy had been found in the wheelie bin outside the house and could we put nappies in bags before putting them in the bin. Fair enough, but the way he spoke to us was rude and abrasive. On our last day, we cleaned the kitchen, washed the pots, hoovered the carpets, stripped the beds etc. We tried to check out, however despite us leaving when the office was supposed to be open, there was no-one there and the office was locked. We waited for 10 minutes or so, but then had to leave the keys and depart to catch our ferry. When we got home, we received a letter from the manager at Ninham, saying that they weren't returning our deposit as they had had to pay for extra cleaning when we had left, and that they had had to replace some bedding as it was badly stained, and the this had cost them £100, (conveniently the exact total of our deposit!!). When we queried this, we were contacted again by Oliver, the manager, who was downright rude to us, and stated that although we had cleaned the property to our standard, it wasn't clean to 'his standard', or words to that effect. Me and my family go away most years, either in the UK or in Europe and have rented properties each time, and have never not had our deposit returned to us. In my opinion, when leaving a holiday rental, it is standard practice to clean the property, but you would expect that the owners would come in and do a proper and thorough deep clean of the property before a new family come in. After renting a property out to 10 people for a week, this would be expected surely!! When we again asked for clarification on this, we were told that Ninham would now be stopping all correspondence with us about this subject. We are of course seeking legal advice. In a nutshell, if you are a family looking for a relaxed holiday, don't go here! The house is ok at best, but the staff let it down big time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank EmmieT
NinhamHolidays, Manager at Ninham Country Holidays, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Firstly I would like to say that I am disappointed to have received this INACCURATE review, as we have had many many families stay at Ninham House without incident

Any questions about this clients stay, I would be very happy to provide further detail or
any questions/worries in regards to our security bond procedure, again very happy to discuss in detail.
We do not charge deductions as a matter of course - and it was a decision made by a 4 members of staff ( including the property owner, the cleaners & myself) that the property was left in a very poor state and a charge would be made.

I take great offence at the title :" rude & bullying" staff.

'EmmieT' refers to me by my name, Oliver. I may be 6'5" & 17 stone, but I am neither of those things !!
I entered into a very amiable & friendly conversation firstly to notify that I would be entering the property to replace the faulty appliances, which of course she was happy about.
I also pointed out that due to dryer being brand new, to refrain from putting sandy clothes & towels into the machine as it would damage it. All very common sense advice.

Secondly I just raised the issue of recycling & waste disposal.
- One of her family emptied the ash trays, and herself had emptied dirty nappy's ( not in waste sack ) into the large recycling bin ( clearly marked ) I politely asked for the family to dispose of their waste as requested/clearly instructed & responsibly.

If that is bullying & rude then? .... I trust this dramatisation is a reaction to the charge to the security bond.

My correspondence to the client ( available on request ) was not " downright rude" - it was factually based and detailed. Inaccurate.

I did not ever refer to " my standards" but only to the standard required & detailed on the terms & conditions agree to when booking. Inaccurate.
This requirement is quite clear & simple, yet the client deemed it acceptable to leave:

*The house in general state of grubbiness: ALL crockery/pans/cutlery/dishes/cups/glasses removed from cupboards ( for a 10 person house) ALL rewashed or should I say washed.
This formed an extra 3 hours of cleaning/cost straight away .
*Melted plastic all over the oven
*Filthy oven surround - no attempt to clean.
*Numerous stains (not reported) on approx 1/4 bed sheets ( tea, coffee, blood, chocolate etc ) all washed & treated but irreversibly damaged and not up to standard for another client to use
*Waxy stains & mud on stair carpets
* Large stains left with no attempt to remove on 2 sofas ( even with throws to protect )
* Kitchen floor filthy

Of course we expect a certain level of cleaning after a client - but this was filthy.

I'm quite confused by the check out? Reception has clearly advertised opening times (9am) Check out is at 10am. The clients ferry wasn't till 12.30.

I cannot deny that on this particular week, we did incur some problems;
firstly with a leaking valley on the roof ( due to excessive rainfall which is well documented) and it did take 48 hours to remedy as due to the very strong wind the builder would not scale 25ft on a wet slippery ladder to a roof.

Secondly, the tumble dryer had developed a fault that occurred & not reported by the previous clients who checked out the same day. Not entirely ideal but laundry facilities were available in the meantime within 100metres of the house for free. The tumble dryer was replaced during the stay.

Thirdly, 1/2 way through their stay and at the end of the day, the client reported the dishwasher was not working. I could not identify a problem with the appliance but due to the previous problems, I whipped it out, took a trip to the local Currys and replaced BOTH this & the tumble dryer well within a 24 hour period. I'm not quite sure how much more efficient we could have been. These problems do occur, and I think we did everything we could have.

The 'clarification' asked for, was answered, and clearly & accurately described in 2 very long and time consuming emails sent to the client.
The deductions from the security bond, were both detailed & photographed within correspondence sent to the client.
The £100 was actually less than the amount it cost us to replace/remedy the damage made by the client.

I conceded that there was no further comment to make, but the client insisted that they were right & would be seeking legal advice.
I pointed to the very clear & reasonable terms & conditions which they agreed when booking, and that no other family had experienced any issued with the security bond this year.

In short the client showed no regard for the property, its contents, the terms of the booking which they agreed to when booking, the cleaners who had to deal with the mess, us as a business,
or
the clients who were due to check in later that day - clients that had to wait another hour or so. for the property to be restored to its previous clean condition.

I conclude that the client is neither reasonable or accurate in their review of the property and
If I could review the client, I would probably encourage the property owner to stay well clear.
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Just got back from spending a few nights here. It's a good site with decent sized pitches and good facilities. The toilet and shower facilities are good and there's little to fault. We only used the pool briefly but it was nice to have it there. Everything is close on the Isle of Wight but the very handy Morrisons is a plus point for this site. The rules are quite strict but not overly so and we very much enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Domski_71
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Spent five nights camping here. Very professional service from staff. Lovely pool, very busy as expected in August. Handy Morrisons & Ludlow nearby. Had to wait until 10 to get on our pitch - again busy in August. Large pitches. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank nomadtraveller78
Doncaster, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We found the camp site spacious and enjoyed the swimming pool (which never seemed busy despite being heated!). The toilet block was a little dated and it would have been nice to have the toilet block closest to us open. If you arrive by car the location is not an issue, but it's worth noting for people travelling without one that there aren't any pubs nearby and buses are only every hour.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Godalming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

We just got back from 6 nights at Ninham camping in pretty grotty weather, but had a fantastic time - the campsite is beautiful, with good sized pitches and pretty good facilities. We ended up right at the very corner and were a little far away from the toilet / shower block, but this was a minor inconvenience really. There's a lovely little fishing lake (caught an eel!), an outdoor heated pool and a games room (frankly a little depressing) but above all it's a great base for exploring the IoW. We stayed there as a party of 17 and had a superb time! Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Arron L
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

Camped here for 2 nights and found a lovely clean well laid out campsite - with fabulous sized pitches. Toilet block - yes it was old but extremely clean and warm with free lovely hot showers - not one hair in the sinks!! There is also a new block under construction. 20 minute walk into Shanklin and Morrisions 5 mins in car just up the road. Lovely and peaceful lots of birds and rabbits around. Site sorted out the ferry booking as well and we couldnt fault it and would highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank H4mon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
#5 of 54 in Shanklin

Been to Ninham Country Holidays? Share your experiences!