“Great experience of IOW”
Review of St. Leonards

and 1 more site!
St. Leonards
Ranked #27 of 51 Shanklin B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We had a great stay at St Leonard's during the festival. From start to finish the locals on IoW were fantastically patient and helpful, considering they were getting a media pounding at the time! We used the local buses, and great value bus passes, rather than the festival ones and never had the need for a taxi, saving a lot of money. The guest house was very clean, Dave & Christina very friendly and couldn't do enough for all the guests. The breakfast was good and set us up for the day each of the three days we stayed. They went the extra mile providing weather reports and advice to make our stay a really good one.
I'm not sure why some people want daily fresh towels, I certainly don't have them at home, there was a hair dryer and plenty of tea, coffee & biscuits, and toiletries. I guess if we had wanted anything else it would've been supplied as our hosts couldn't have been more approachable. Great location for a walk to the beach, also close to the railway and buses to Newport and Ryde.
We stayed in room 3 which was particularly nice and has to be the biggest b&b room I have stayed in. Great value, thanks.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed two nights in a room on the top floor (no lift). The room was adequately sized for a double bed and a set of bunk beds. There wasn't much excess room for luggage though. The bath was clean with a good shower, but no hairdryer. No a/c, but it was unnecessary during our visit. I did see a portable fan in the room, however. The couple running the establishment were super hosts and were very friendly. The breakfast had cooked and continential offerings and was good.
The B/B was a bit of a haul from the train or bus station in Shanklin, but it was walkable. Not far from the cliff, Shanklin Chine, or the old village of Shanklin.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Skeddadle
Reviewed June 16, 2012

i stayed at st leonards for two weeks in january 2012. i was welcomed firstly by christina and felt comfortable right from the start.

the room was spotless and the breakfast was excellent each day.
dave and christina are the most amazing hoteliers. they absolutely dedicate themselves to what they do and you can tell that they enjoy running the hotel.
nothing is hard work for them and everything is done to perfection.

it is very rare to find such a perfectly run hotel these days.
i fully recommend staying here and would even say that you would be very lucky to find a better run place to stay

i have taken a long time to write a review but on reading the discraceful review below that is obviously a personal attack for some reason i guarantee it should be ignored as christina and dave are the best hoteliers that you could wish for and all excellent reviews on this site and others are absolutely true.

Room Tip: if you are on your own i reccomend the single room on the top floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank mike c c
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Well - I am sorry but I totally disagree with everything that has been written about this guest house. I booked on the strength of them and I was wholly disappointed. I can honestly say that this guest house was nothing like the reviews and one can only wonder about the validity of them.

So - first things first. The cleaner is nothing short of a treasure. The hotel was spotless and you can't fault them for that.

Moving on from there - I found Mrs Routledge pleasant and polite but Mr Routledge was borderline aggresive. I recommend that he goes on a customer service course if he is going to be front of house. Being asked to pay up on arrival is very off putting and also being told that "cash is preferred" does not make me feel that I am staying in a reputable guest house.

Breakfast - Having to submit your breakfast choices the night before is not what you expect in 2012. I am amazed that there are guest houses who still do this. The breakfast it self was ok - although clearly the produce used was supermarket bought. The orange juice was was from a carton. I did not find the choice of what to eat as amazing as some people have written about. It was all very average.

Bedroom - did what it said on the tin. I have mentioned the very high standard of cleaning and this was due to the cleaner.

Bathroom - shower cubicle was so small that it was becoming a chore to get ready to go out. No shelf in the cubicle - so products had to be balanced on the edge of the shower tray. Towels according to the "rule book" were to be changed on day 3 - this did not happen and as there were no drying facilties in the room - then more often than not the towel was still damp the following morning.

I was very disappointed with both this guest house and it's owners and I will not recommend it or indeed book to stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms in another guest house!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Simon-Dwyed
TheStLeonards, Owner at St. Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

We always aim to please, clearly, on this occasion we have failed. We have heeded the comments and will take all necessary steps to ensure that this does not happen again.

Our small family run Guest House is rated by Visit Britain as 4 Star Silver Award. This accreditation is not easily achieved, it takes hard work and dedication. The facilities within the building and all of the guest rooms meet or exceed the requirements of this accreditation and The St. Leonards has a policy of continual improvement which ensures that, according to Trip Advisor, we remain among the highest ranked Guest Houses in our area.

However, this said, we do not pretend to compete with nearby Hotels who undoubtedly can offer a level of service above ours.

As a Guest House, we do not have a 24 hour Reception, which means that we request that accounts be settled on arrival, this is clearly stated on the email confirmation that the guests receive from us and therefore should be no surprise.

At certain times throughout the year we ask that Guests pay their accounts by cash or personal cheque. We do this to alleviate cash flow issues caused by Public and Bank Holidays. At this time payments made through our card terminal can take up to 11 days to reach our account. To suggest that this makes us somehow disreputable and on the make is nothing short of ludicrous.

I also take exception to personal attacks. This party arrived on Tuesday. Due to my workload I was not present at that time. During the 4 days of their stay I spoke to these guests for no more than 10 minutes. If this is sufficient time to judge a character then whoever these Guests meet with in future will have to be on their guard as who knows what they will be accused of.

Reviews like this can be disheartening, but it won't stop us trying to improve.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at St Leonards (in room 5) for 3 nights over the Jubilee weekend. It was our first trip to the Isle of Wight and we're so pleased we chose to come to St. Leonards - it is a rare find indeed!

If there was a manual on how to run an exceptional guesthouse then they probably wrote it! Christina and David are the warmest hosts you'll ever meet. But what makes St. Leonards extra special is those little details and the attention to detail that is shown. They have thought of everything and couldn't be nicer or more helpful.

Our room was a good size and very, very quiet. It was also great value. The bed was really comfy. We had a good strength shower and lots of towels. Lots of choice for breakfast and the feel that nothing would be too much trouble. It's in a fantastic location - two minutes from the beach and Shanklin old village with all its traditional pubs and restaurants. (we highly recommend a meal at the Black Cat thai restaurant. It was by far the best food we had on our whole trip - just make sure you book a table and you won't be disappointed. Two course meal for two plus bottle of wine was around £45).

I spend a lot of time reading reviews to choose where we will stay when we visit a new place, and this is one of the best places we have ever encountered. We plan to make this our home-from-home on the IOW when we return again!

Room Tip: Make it one at St Leonards!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HealthAngel
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I had a fantastic stay at the St Leonards. We had never been to the IOW and Christina and David were very helpful, giving us instructions for buses, eating out etc.
Breakfasts were brilliant, and a great selection to choose from, even doing custom made ones, for folk who had difficulty choosing from the extensive menu!!
Room was lovely, very clean and modern, and the shower en-suite really nice. All were cleaned daily.
Great location, within a short walk to the beach, the old village or the town.
We would highly recommend this B&B to everyone.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sue D
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Weekend break on IOW. My sister has been given a 50% discount for single occupancy, and her double room is spacious, with a large and comfortable queen size bed. Our family room is spacious too. Both rooms are modern and decorated in a high standard. The ensuite bathroom was newly refurbished. The accommodation is in a excellent location in Shanklin, less than 10 minutes walk to the beach and the town centre.

The electrical shower is not as powerful as common power shower. The double bed in the family room is relevant small.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family