“Comfortable Seaside Inn”
Review of The Steamer Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shanklin
The Steamer Inn
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
“Comfortable Seaside Inn”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We stayed at the Steamer Inn this year during a weeks break on The Island and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The rooms were comfortable, clean and well decorated with lovely views over the sea. The staff were friendly and efficient and the food in the pub excellent. The giant seafood platter was a feast, especially when washed down with a bottle of Chablis. We shall certainly return. Well done Mark and the crew.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2012

i have stayed at this hotel on business trips a few times, the first few times i enjoyed my stay so i returned.I stayed there 29/04/12 with a colleague, who had not stayed there before. Our arrival was late in the evening, there was new staff since my last stay. As our journey was long we ordered a couple of beers and asked the barman to charge them to our room, in an arrogant tone he said we could not do that as this was not the policy anymore, we just had the beer anyway.We ordered food a starter and main, and was told that we couldn't have the starter seperate from the main meal as the chef would not be doing it anymore??? We complained to the arrogant bar man, and we were allowed them seperate.With the arrogance of the staff we went to the Waterfront Hotel which is next door, what a difference, staff lovely and friendly, prices cheaper for both food and drinks wish we had stayed there instead, i would reccomend it. Returning back to our hotel we had a last beer, then went to bed (seperate rooms). On waking next day my colleague had an itchy back and we later discovered he had bites (which looked like insect bites) we don't no where they came from, but on my last stay alone i had bites on my back to from staying int he same room he had stayed in, (coincidence), this was reported to the hotel from my company. As a business traveller i would definately not stay at this hotel again, neither on holiday, as the service it offers is now very poor and the staff not very welcoming.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank david h
cambridge
Reviewed April 29, 2012

we decided to dine here having been in the past but what a dissapointment. on arrival at the bar the 2 members of staff were having a conversation with their backs to us and continued to finish.
having got our drinks we ordered our food, only to find one of the choices was off, so settled for cottage pie. this came obviously microwaved with a gravy boat, containing very watery flavourless gravy. the other meal was lasagne which again came microwaved and looking not particularly good. whilst there was nothing wrong with the food, it seemed very overpriced and average. i think the only thing the steamer has going for it is its location

1 Thank pattilou28
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We went for a meal during the Easter weekend and first impressions were a really well presented pub thats where it ends food was terrible and not worth the extravagent prices and the service was not much better a rather large guy served us and was very rude, the wait on food was really too long for what we were served definitely won't be going back!

• Stayed April 2012
London
Reviewed April 19, 2012

My partner and I only came to The Steamer Inn because the Waterfront Inn was fully booked. We ordered at the bar, only to be told 30min later that my choice had run out. Surely this is something the staff should know at the time of ordering. I switched to the smoked haddock fishcakes which were oversalty and the peas were two colours - half looked like they had been freshly cooked but the other half were a distinctly dull green. My partner's burger patty looked and tasted like one of those frozen ones you get. At over a tenner for each main, we felt ripped off. The only saving grace were the two guitarists who were very good.

Sandown, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2012

As a treat for a anniversary date with decided to have a meal, what a let down,having said that the staff were very nice and friendly. My wife had a light meal which was OK, I had a steak and stilton cheese salad which I had to say was awful!, I sent it back the steak was grizzly and the stilton cheese was conspicuous by its abscence, the staff apoligised and I decided to have a chicken salad instead, which I have to say was a few pieces of chicken on some lettuce leaves and was tasteless !! Wont be going back again!

london
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We have just made our regular yearly visit to the Steamer and were very impressed with the new terrace and seating. It was a delight to sit outside in the spring time sunshine.
The food and service were, as ever, excellent.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Clifton
#4 of 52 in Shanklin
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to The Steamer Inn? Share your experiences!