“OMG!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dunbar
Dunbar, United Kingdom
“OMG!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Just eaten and I am praying that my son doesn't die of E-Coli or some other bacteria from an undercooked burger. However he barely managed to eat it with the unbalanced rickety table. Two out of four meals were excellent and the service was top rate. Sadly Louise is leaving...she has been the backbone and mainstay of that hotel for years. Her friendliness warmth and professionalism will be hard to match. TD

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Thomas D
bayswell h, General Manager at Bayswell Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments.
We accept that a homemade burger of prime Scottish beef steak should be well done when given to younger people. and we replaced it immediately.
We were unaware that the table had a faulty stabilizer foot and would certainly have moved you had you brought it to our attention.
We have begun a major investment programme in the infastructure of the hotel, to re establish itself as a premier dining and accomodation venue in East Lothian with spectacular restaurant views.
We take all comments, good or bad seriously, as it helps to constantly improve our performance...we hope to see you again tp monitor that improvement.

Jamie
Bayswell Park Hotel
New General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

My friends and I arrived to Dunbar late in order to spend one night before taking an early birdwatching trip to Bass Rock next morning. It was pitch black when we got there so we couldn't see any surroundings, but we could hear the sound of waves breaking indicating the sea being very close. The check-in process was very fast and in a matter of minutes we got to our rooms. I do not remember if they had an elevator because I dragged my luggage upstairs on my own without bothering to look around.

I had a single room with small but bery comfortable bed, enough space, and for some reason 2 TVs - one in the room and the other one in the bathroom! The bathroom also had a jacuzzi tub! Unfortunately it was too loud and I didn't dare to use it in the middle of the night. But the water was hot and it was very suiting for a tired traveller.

Next morning I finally got to see the view outside the window which was absolutely stunning. What was a totally black area during the night was in fact a magnificent sea view! Though I don't think that the windows could be opened. I know my friends who stayed in a double room had some troubles closing the curtains for the night, but I doubt it was really necessary considering the room was not on the ground floor and facing open sea.

The breakfast was simple but nice together cooked breakfast option. All included in £60 rate for a single room is a good deal according to my standards. I would stay there again if I end up spending a night in the neighbourhood.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view - it is stunning!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shaarila
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed at The Bayswell Hotel in Dunbar as we we're up in the area for a friends party and they recommended the place. After we booked, I read the reviews on here and didn't know what to think, as they were pretty mixed.
I've got to say that you should just forget anything written before September this year, as the hotel has changed hands and has a new management team in place. Our room was lovely and newly renovated, so nothing like the old pictures on here, which was a very pleasant surprise. I think there's a new team in the kitchen and restaurant too, as they we're very helpful and really proud of the new menu. The services was great too - and they we're good fun! So well done to them all. And the views out to sea as you have your meal, it's really something.

Overall a warm and friendly place to stay. Totally different to what it must have been, now it's been taken over.

In the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger - I'll be back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rob L
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I recently stayed at the bayswell and thought I should drop a few lines to let other readers know that you are situated in the most wonderful setting over looking the seas and bass rock.the staff are lovely and friendly and went out there way to make us feel welcome.the room was warm and cosy.

The bathroom I was surprised to see a modern jacuzzi with all the extras and a modern finish to the room.

The food was lovely and breakfast was excellent.

Many thanks to you and your team for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank David M
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great hotel beautiful sea views ,friendly staff always helpfull, great food in the nice restaurant again with all round sea views a home from home. I recommend this place to anyone great sea views and a great sleep inj a plush comfy bed. Renovations are ongoing at the hotel but I was not disturbed at all.

Room Tip: Ask for the sea views with the jacuzzi.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

After booking this hotel a year in advance to ensure I had accommodation for the open golf at Muirfied.I received a phone call to inform me that the £60 I had agreed to pay through Laterooms had now increased to £175 per night,as they had not realised the golf was on 20miles along the coast.To treat a genuine guest at this hotel in this manner is totally despicable and only amounts to sheer greed by the hotel management.I was not alone and other guests suffered the same treatment after Laterooms made investigations into the treatment metered out by the staff.Do not even consider walking through the doors of this establishment if this is the manner they treat paying guests,let's not forget you are not getting any more for your £175 than you are for your £60,as soon as the golf is over the price is back to £60 When bookings are made they should honour the booking .They then had the oudacity to inform me they had booked me into another hotel down the road for £60.After many conversations with hotel receptionist they could not give me an answer to the decision to charge extra,needless to say the manager did not have the decency to speak to me on the phone he got his staff to do the dirty work.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel they don't care about guests only money.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Diane D

Travelers are raving about these Dunbar hotels

Dawson Creek, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

first the good... location. beautiful view.
the bad:
room- very big and yet felt claustrophobic. filthy paintwork and walls, dingy carpet, generally very dated. the bathroom was almost too narrow to walk in, the bath had mould and the sink was broken. toilet right next to the radiator. nice!
the breakfast service was odd, we were asked what we wanted, basically anything. the server was very odd and rather snippy as we came down about 20 mins before breakfast was over. we only asked for porridge and toast; could have done some work on the exterior with the porridge!
overall, if you think of fawlty towers, but make it dirtier and dingier, then you have the bayswell.
could be so much better.
staff at the front desk were pleasant however.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank frater93
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunbar
Dunmuir Hotel
#4 of 5 in North Berwick
No. 12 Quality Street B&B
No. 12 Quality Street B&B
#2 of 5 in North Berwick

Been to Bayswell Park Hotel? Share your experiences!