“Breakfast at the Royal Mackintosh”

Royal Mackintosh Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dunbar
Reviewed November 9, 2013

For travellers and locals alike they do an excellent breakfast at a reasonable price.
My wife and I have breakfast out often and have sampled most of the offerings in Dunbar and we both agree that theirs is the best.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed a single night in a small double room overlooking the street. However, it was well equipped and decorated, and the shower was great.

Bar open late (heard another visitor expressing his concern after the previous night) and on the noisy side. Quite a lot of street noise - no double glazing.

Breakfast excellent. Staff very friendly, but a bit lacking in training.

Overall pretty reasonable for a small hotel, but Dunbar still not great to stay these days - very sad

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last Friday night, the hotel staff and manager couldn't be more accommodating and welcoming to us.
We e-mailed the hotel a few days before requesting a early check in as we had to be at a wedding at the time of the check in (2pm). This wasn't a problem at all and we even had enough time to get ready - the manager, Cliff I think, gave us a lift to the wedding. It was so nice of him to go out of his way to help us out.

Our room was huge, and we had a gorgeous view out onto the sea. The bay window was ginormous, you could sit there all day.

The breakfast in the morning was delicious and everything was cooked perfectly.

Would definitely recommend a stay here and will be booking in here again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed here in September while working in the area, I found the reception area, bar and restaurant to be clean, tidy and comfortable (though a little tired), the original panelling in the restaurant looks good, my room was also clean and tidy and again a little dated however I did sleep very well as the bed was very comfortable. The food at dinner was excellent as was breakfast which could best be described as "hearty". All of the staff I met were excellent (very pleasant and friendly). One downside was the lack of parking, the hotel car park is small (it may only take 5 or 6 cars) this meant I had to park on the roadside away from the hotel. I'll finish by saying that I did enjoy my stay and would return if I'm working in the area again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I booked for one night as part of my partners birthday present. It's a lovely building and although the car park is small we found a space just outside the hotel easily. When we checked in I explained that we were leaving early the next morning and would need to check out before 8. This was no problem however the girl did tell us that breakfast on a Sunday didn't start until 8 so we would miss it, she then said that she would arrange for the night porter to have a continental breakfast organised. We were shown into a spacious room with a view across to the sea. After going for a walk through the town and down to the lovely old castle ruins we returned to the hotel to be met by a manager who told us that they had arranged a member of staff to come in early on the Sunday so that we could have breakfast. Great service and would happily stay again plus the goats cheese burger on the bar menu is delicious!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We spent a very mediocre night at this hotel while walking the coastal path from Berwick to Edinburgh. Not sure if the place has heard of housekeeping. The dining room was so dark with 8 out of the 16 bulbs in the lights broken. Our room had a broken blind, curtains hanging off the rail and an old toilet roll holder not removed in the bathroom, with a new one fitted to replace it. The food was better than expected

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Martin N
Reviewed August 27, 2013

From the minute of checking in to the minute we checked out, it was an amazing experience. We were advised that there would be a change of room allocation, we were allocated room 9, which was much larger on the floor plan than room 24 which appeared to be the original plan. The hotel was clean, spacious and friendly, amazing breakfasts and once we had checked out and had a while to wait for our train, I ordered 2 coffees and was told there was no charge. Will definitely book another days as soon as possible.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunbar
Dunmuir Hotel
Maitlandfield House Hotel
Maitlandfield House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Haddington
Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux

Been to Royal Mackintosh Hotel? Share your experiences!