“Varied room sizes in hotel”

Maitlandfield House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Haddington
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Varied room sizes in hotel”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

The hotel is beautiful as you drive up the driveway and the welcome we received was friendly and helpful. Everywhere was beautifully decorated and immaculate.
However the room was the smallest room I have ever stayed in, with a tiny en suite. I would suggest it would be more like a small single room. The washbasin was small and low so that my husband found it awkward to shave in. The view was out the back of the hotel, but all we could really see was the roof of the floor below. We did get the night free through Moneysupermarket.com so perhaps that is why we were allocated that room!
I would warn others that there seems to be different prices for different rooms, so it might be worth paying more if you don't want the tiny room!

Room Tip: Room 13 is tiny!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate all feedback we received from our guests. Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
england
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My wife and I have just returned home from Haddington and our stay at the excellent Maitland Hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful, the food was good and the rooms were clean , high spec and comfortable. My son and his family live nearby and were happy that we had an enjoyable stay in a very interesting small hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank scuttle
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are all delighted that you had such a wonderful stay with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I used to go to the Maitlandfield all the time when I was younger so after a trip back to Haddington I thought it would be nice to pop in for lunch one Saturday. I was a bit disappointed.
We went for lunch, so nothing too fancy for the middle of the day. When we arrived the member if staff was really attentive and very friendly but the place really lacked atmosphere. Apart from one other table of three we were the only people there. The restaurant prices were pretty steep and didn't match the slightly tried looking surroundings. I ordered a wrap and hubby ordered soup of the day. Both were nice, nothing to write home about but we had to endure some pretty awful thumping dance music throughout our visit. Not what you expect at all. We thought it was really odd especially as the other table had elderly people. Needless to say I won't be back in a hurry.
It's a shame because the hotel is a nice venue, situated well but could do much better. There are much nicer places in Haddington to go to.
The food was over priced and very average and the atmosphere was rubbish.
Probably won't go back in a hurry.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review the lunch you had with us. We are sorry that you felt that the food was over priced. Our food is locally sourced and freshly prepared and our lunch menu is priced from £3.95 to £6.95. We do hope that you return to give us a second chance.
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Stayed here for one nights bed and breakfast. Plenty of parking. Friendly welcome from Receptionist. Our room faced the side and front of the building, kept the windows open all night as it was very very hot and had no problems with any noise! Our room was fine for one night, bathroom a little on the small side
and the electric shower was very efficient. Breakfast was lovely, plenty to choose from, only had the continental. Nice of have cold yogurts (in a bowl with plenty of ice) and nice hot toast. Yes the room could probably do with updating but the public areas are very smart. Lovely gardens too.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank tigerbrian
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the heat, which is very rare in Scotland. We hope that you make a return visit to us in the near future.
Ellon, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2014

A very pleasant and friendly welcome on our arrival. The room was clean and comfortable, with plenty space and, with bath/shower and plenty towels.

Ate in the brasserie one night and the meal was good. The staff were very pleasant and attentive. My main course was not exactly as described on the menu. I was happy with the substitution but would like to have been informed prior to it arriving so that I could have changed my mind if wanted. When I mentioned this they were extremely apologetic and informed us that the starters would not be charged. We appreciated this offer but would not have felt right in taking it as we enjoyed the meal. We did appreciate this though.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing the hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and the food. Sorry once again for the error with your meal but I am glad you enjoyed this regardless. We hope that you do visit us again in the near future.
Shawbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stayed at the Maitlandfield for four nights on business and was extremely disappointed for the money I paid (£98 per night). The hotel has no lift as far as I'm aware as I was left to find my room with large rucksack and suitcase....! Upon reaching my initial room I was surprised (to say the least) to find a guy sitting on the bed when I opened the door, talk about Shock!! When I reported this to reception I was asked to take a seat while it gets sorted out, (No courtesy drink or anything!!). Their excuse was we both had the same surname hence the mistake! My alternative room (16) was dreadful.... Talk about small. How ever they fitted a shower, sink and toilet in that small room called a bathroom is beyond me. One thing they did forget was an air freshener!! It was dreary, dark and not a nice place to be for four days. The only positive from of my stay was the kilo of mussels I had which was only by default as I didn't get back from work until late and didn't have time to go any place else for dinner.... I should also say the staff in the bar / restaurant were great and really helpful. Definitely not the best hotel I have stopped in and hopefully never again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We are sorry for the mistake on check in. This was a dreadful error and one that we will not repeat. I appreciate that you must have been embarrassed and I can not apologise enough. I must also that you for the positive comments you left. Much appreciated.

Travelers are raving about these Haddington hotels

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Stayed here one night on business and the hotel is reasonable for what I paid but I would avoid room 7 which is the room I was allocated. The room is at the back of the hotel, dark and small. As I was there on my own it was OK but if you were staying as a couple and for more than one night it would be intolerable. The mattress was also extremely hard and as a result I had difficulty getting comfortable. In addition the shower room is tiny and only suitable for midgets. On the plus side the room was spotless. I ate in the brasserie and the food was again perfectly adequate but nothing special. The breakfast was extremely disappointing and probably the most disappointing breakfast I have had at a hotel for a long time. The choice was very limited and the ingredients seemed cheap, particularly the sausage which seemed deep fried. Being an independent Scottish hotel I though Haggis may be on the menu but no, not here. The staff were very pleasant, helpful and friendly. Overall not a bad 3 star hotel just nothing makes it stand out.

Room Tip: Avoid room 7 and probably all 'Classic' rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. We have various rooms in the hotel, from classic right up to our honeymoon suite. I hope that you do come back and give the hotel another chance some time soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haddington
Ducks Inn
#1 of 3 in Dunbar
Letham House
Letham House
#1 of 8 in Haddington

Been to Maitlandfield House Hotel? Share your experiences!