Maitlandfield House Hotel
Ducks Inn(Aberlady)
Mallard Hotel(Gullane)
Open Arms Hotel(Dirleton)
  • Restaurant
Nether Abbey Hotel(North Berwick)
  • Pool
The Folly(North Berwick)
Good 3.5/5
  • Beachfront
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsmurder mysterywaiting staffpublic areasmy partnergreat nightold housecould not have been moreburgerporridgeweddingpaulinedishloungeduvetpartyedinburghvenue
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I went for a weekend away with my partner in September and this hotel did not dissapoint. We stayed in a luxury room and for the price it was worth it. The room was furnished to an excellent standard and the large wirlpool bath was very relaxing.
Whilst at the hotel we dined in the restaurant and it amazed myself and my partner with the variety on the menu which was not just from this continant. My partner had the steak and said it was cooked to perfection and he is fussy with his steak. Myself, I had a salad and and it was very fresh and the chicken was lightly spiced and mouth watering. The staff were very friendly and attentive making sure that everything was nothing less than a level of perfection.
The surroundings of the hotel was perfect for a romantic weekend, the town had everything to suit any type of family or couple. Everything is within walking distance. For example myself and my partner went for a walk round the corner of the hotel to find the local swimming pool and ended up returning back to the hotel to gather a few things for a light swim.
My partner and I enjoyed it that much that we are going to be returning when the next murder mystery night is on. From the advice and comments of the night it should be full of fun and laughter.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2011

We at The Maitlandfield are delighted that you enjoyed your romantic weekend. Thank you for taking the time to let others know about our lovely hotel. I know that when you return for the Murder Mystery dinner you will not be dissappointed, and will indeed have many laughs. We look forward to seeing you.

Reviewed September 28, 2011

Spent an extended weekend in East Lothian and stayed in the Maitlandfield House Hotel. This is an establishment that I would recommend to anyone seeking accommodation in Haddington. As we were travelling with our granddaughter, we were fortunate enough to land the extra large honeymoon suite on the 1st floor where the staff simply added another bed. I can only sing the praises for this hotel and the staff, who were so accommodating whether it was room service or otherwise. The decadently furnished lounge was a delight to be in, especially after dinner with a night cap. Spitting distance into town. A true delight and would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review about our hotel. Let me say we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the building so much. We very much hope that you will return to The Maitlandfield and enjoy another night cap in our lounge.

Reviewed August 31, 2011

I’ve stayed at the Maitlandfield House Hotel a few times with another visit planned. I feel some of the previous reviews are a bit unfair so, as a regular business traveller to East Lothian, I thought it might be worth while adding my thoughts.

Let’s start with this - the Maitlandfield House Hotel is a Scottish Tourist Board 3-star rated hotel, not 4 or 5-star. It is a good 3-star hotel and doesn’t try to be what it isn’t.

I’ve found the rooms nice enough and always clean, the food is good (they’ve won an award for it) with a special mention for the excellent breakfasts. The staff are friendly, the prices are reasonable, the wi-fi works extremely well in the public areas and depending on which room you get wi-fi can work their too. I’ve always found the car park safe which means I can leave some of my equipment in the car boot (probably a bonus point for golfers too!)

All in all a very pleasant little hotel in quiet surroundings with a lovely big garden – and only a short walk into the centre of Haddington if you want to visit the town centre or find a local pub.

I’ll use this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank jazzert
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2011

Thank you for taking the time write a review about our hotel. We are delighted that you appreciated and enjoyed our enviable position and food. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Maitlandfield House Hotel. Thank you once again.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed last weekend and attended the murder mystery dinner on Saturday. I can honestly say it was all fanastic. Friendly staff throghout the building who could not do enough for you, great food and service. The bedrooms were clean, well furnished and despite what the last reviewer thought the furnishings looked very modern and quite new. We had comp. water, tea, coffee, shortbread and hot chocolate along with a freeview digital flat screen tv. Perhaps a cozy welcoming hotel is not what some people are after, if not pay for a 5* chain hotel rather than 3* with character and the personal touch. I will b back and would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family. Well done Maitlandfield, great.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2011

May I thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your evening and the hotel in general. We very much look forward to you returning for another stay with us.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night as we were attending a wedding in Haddington. There is nothing good to say about the accomodation. The room was very small and dated - the bathroom a disgrace. The whole place smelled of damp and it was a pleasure to check out. The staff were nice and friendly but the hotel needs closed down and refurbished. It was over priced and for what they provide.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MariaW36
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and the kind comments about our friendly staff. This historic country house hotel has a variety of rooms sizes and styles and was renovated 4 years ago. We had recently suffered a flood in a small public area of the hotel and there were signs apologising for this throughout the building. It is regrettful that your concerns were not brought to our attention at the time of your stay, where we would have done our best to fix any problems. Should you wish to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.