“A very good deal is Maitlandfield House Hotel”

Maitlandfield House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Haddington
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“A very good deal is Maitlandfield House Hotel”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Spent an extended weekend in East Lothian and stayed in the Maitlandfield House Hotel. This is an establishment that I would recommend to anyone seeking accommodation in Haddington. As we were travelling with our granddaughter, we were fortunate enough to land the extra large honeymoon suite on the 1st floor where the staff simply added another bed. I can only sing the praises for this hotel and the staff, who were so accommodating whether it was room service or otherwise. The decadently furnished lounge was a delight to be in, especially after dinner with a night cap. Spitting distance into town. A true delight and would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review about our hotel. Let me say we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the building so much. We very much hope that you will return to The Maitlandfield and enjoy another night cap in our lounge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I’ve stayed at the Maitlandfield House Hotel a few times with another visit planned. I feel some of the previous reviews are a bit unfair so, as a regular business traveller to East Lothian, I thought it might be worth while adding my thoughts.

Let’s start with this - the Maitlandfield House Hotel is a Scottish Tourist Board 3-star rated hotel, not 4 or 5-star. It is a good 3-star hotel and doesn’t try to be what it isn’t.

I’ve found the rooms nice enough and always clean, the food is good (they’ve won an award for it) with a special mention for the excellent breakfasts. The staff are friendly, the prices are reasonable, the wi-fi works extremely well in the public areas and depending on which room you get wi-fi can work their too. I’ve always found the car park safe which means I can leave some of my equipment in the car boot (probably a bonus point for golfers too!)

All in all a very pleasant little hotel in quiet surroundings with a lovely big garden – and only a short walk into the centre of Haddington if you want to visit the town centre or find a local pub.

I’ll use this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank jazzert
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2011
Thank you for taking the time write a review about our hotel. We are delighted that you appreciated and enjoyed our enviable position and food. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Maitlandfield House Hotel. Thank you once again.
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed last weekend and attended the murder mystery dinner on Saturday. I can honestly say it was all fanastic. Friendly staff throghout the building who could not do enough for you, great food and service. The bedrooms were clean, well furnished and despite what the last reviewer thought the furnishings looked very modern and quite new. We had comp. water, tea, coffee, shortbread and hot chocolate along with a freeview digital flat screen tv. Perhaps a cozy welcoming hotel is not what some people are after, if not pay for a 5* chain hotel rather than 3* with character and the personal touch. I will b back and would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family. Well done Maitlandfield, great.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
May I thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your evening and the hotel in general. We very much look forward to you returning for another stay with us.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night as we were attending a wedding in Haddington. There is nothing good to say about the accomodation. The room was very small and dated - the bathroom a disgrace. The whole place smelled of damp and it was a pleasure to check out. The staff were nice and friendly but the hotel needs closed down and refurbished. It was over priced and for what they provide.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MariaW36
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and the kind comments about our friendly staff. This historic country house hotel has a variety of rooms sizes and styles and was renovated 4 years ago. We had recently suffered a flood in a small public area of the hotel and there were signs apologising for this throughout the building. It is regrettful that your concerns were not brought to our attention at the time of your stay, where we would have done our best to fix any problems. Should you wish to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Travelers are raving about these Haddington hotels

uk
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed for just one night and was pleased to hear that I had been upgraded, but what a disappointment. The room was halfway up a staircase and hence very noisy from passing guests. It was small with tired, cheap furniture and was not very clean.
The food in the restaurant was just disgusting and clearly was not cooked by a chef. I normally find that Scottish hotels are good, but this place is the exception. Avoid.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank richardf
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
We are sorry that our hotel did not live up to your expectaions. You were upgraded to a superior room free of charge in the old historic part of the hotel. These rooms are all furnished to a standard which keeps the feeling of this historic building and again we are sorry that you did not appreciate this. Our brasserie has an award winning chef and we enjoy a good reputation whcih keeps people coming back.
I feel that if you had brought such grievences to our attention at the time we could have resolved your concerns.
If you would like to discuss this matter further please contact me directly by telephone or e mail.
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I stayed three nights on a dinner bed and breakfast basis. The room was good and the food excellent. They have a very nice lounge where residents can just sit and read their paper/book. However what must be said is how friendly and helpful the staff were. It;s a credit to the owners that they have such staff. Keep up the good work - I will be back

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank christinemac73
glasgow, scotland
Reviewed July 29, 2011

visited with friends for the murder mystery package. Dinner, bed and breakfast including the entertainment was £60. Was very good value for money. murder mystery entertainment was a bit cheesy but was good fun all the same. Food was nice but basic - could have done with some more flavour. Rooms were small but clean and amenities were exacly what you would expect. Enjoyed it so much I am returning with another group later this year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel and our very popular murder mystery dinners. It is great to hear that you had such a good time and are returning later on in the year. Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haddington
Ducks Inn
#1 of 3 in Dunbar
Letham House
Letham House
#1 of 8 in Haddington

Been to Maitlandfield House Hotel? Share your experiences!