“Couldn't wait to try-very disappointed!”
Review of Eighty One

Eighty One
Ranked #16 of 52 Restaurants in Holywood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Myself and my fiancé couldn't wait to try this cafe/restaurent as everything about it says that is should be a great place..however we could not have been more wrong. We decided to go for breakfast, as soon as my fiancé saw that they served clonakilty black pudding he couldn't wait for the fry to arrive. His fry was around £6.50 or more which consisted of a 1/4 of a potato bread dripping in oil, 1/4 of a soda hardly toasted and one sausage not cooked enough and a slice of bacon along with beans etc. I had pancakes which as soon as it was set out in front of me I was so disappointed. The pancakes were very doughy and grey is colour with no flavour. I had bacon with the pancakes which was two different types-both cheap tasting and fatty. One of the staff realised something was wrong and offered another option or another hot drink. We declined the offer and she advised that she would take a percentage of the bill- this ended up being £1.10! I hope this place can try and improve from these mistakes and it is has a lovely setting and atmosphere to it. As it is recently open these are probably just teething problems. The service of the staff was great and they were all very friendly and welcoming.

3  Thank Weebird88

Reviewed November 22, 2013

We went here for lunch on the recommendation of a friend and were not disappointed. The decor is fresh and clean and the staff are excellent. The menu is very very good and there is an interesting range of daily specials, from which my friend chose the pasta option. It was light and delicious she said, and the portion size was quite large. There is a good wine list, and the waitress was able to tell us about the wine, where it came from etc. I chose eggs Benedict which is a great favourite of mine and this one more than compared with others I've had. The coffee was delicious too, and sometimes the coffee lets an otherwise good restaurant down. We would certainly go back, and I look forward to going one evening as I believe they are open for dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

2  Thank Ann C
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Wife choose to go here didn't think I would like it BUT I did.
They have Peroni on draught and I had a cracking big tasty burger. The mrs ordered up a few cocktails which looked and tasted the part. She loved her Goats cheese salad and creme brulee. The cheesecake was also beaut. The staff were really friendly. Great service. And when the bill arrived I was expecting it to be expensive but it wasn't. Great value. Will be back. See you soon want to try out your eggs benidict some Sunday.

2  Thank Darryn76
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had a lovely meal and in particular the rissotto was fantastic. Nice setting and very reasonably priced wine.

3  Thank bebopandrocksteady
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Usually when I've been somewhere and haven't liked it I wouldn't return; but some friends invited us to '81' at the weekend, and given the (in my opinion suspicious) raft of positive reviews that have appeared recently, I decided to give it a second chance.

Bad idea.

Seriously, nothing has changed, this place is dire and I left feeling like I'd been ripped off. There is no quality across any of the measurables: service, food, atmosphere etc. I sent my food back, couldn't wait to leave.

1  Thank Oknijbub