“Ok but not 5 star”

Culloden Estate & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holywood
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed here in June for one night.

Pros:
- Beautiful location and building.
- Nice bar for evening drinks.
- Grounds and settings.
- Good size room.
- Spa facilities.

Cons:
- Lady at reception for check in was not welcoming.
- Porter didn't show us to our room.
- No night turndown service. We had showered before going out for dinner and didn't have fresh towels on our return.
- Service in the Cultra Inn was painfully slow even though it was only about 30% full.
- The bedding had a funny smell. We only noticed this after going to bed so didn't call reception. We ended up putting most of it in the cupboard to escape the smell!
- Room service incredibly expensive. We had a continental breakfast for 2 with an orange juice and coffee....£37!!! There wasn't a price listed on the menu but we definitely regretted getting it.

All in all it was an ok stay but we've been fortunate enough to regularly stay in 5 star hotels all over the world and this one definitely ranks at the bottom.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richash85
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear Richash85

I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave your opinion on tripadvisor.

I am pleased to learn that you found the hotel to be in a "beautiful location" and listed positive features about the facilities including the Bar and Spa.

I am, however, genuinely disappointed that we did not live up to our normally very high standards in all aspects of the hotel. We take great pride in providing professional, courteous and efficient customer service so to hear that we have fallen short is a cause for considerable concern.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to draw these matters to our attention. We value all feedback, be it positive or negative. It is only through such feedback that we may rectify any shortcomings and prevent their re-occurrence.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate and Spa in the near future.

Your sincerely

Mr James McGinn

Write a ReviewReviews (1,789)

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I stayed here overnight on business but will be back for a leisure break. It is located a bit out of the centre but in lovely grounds and with a great view. With its own train halt it is a really good base to see the city. Rooms of a very good standard and on the rate I paid very good value for the quality. A heavy night prevented me from enjoying breakfast to the full but it did look as good a buffet as you could get anywhere. As with other reviewers the staff were to a person polite, helpful, friendly and obviously proud of the hotel - a great asset. Please try this hotel if you can.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear Milton W

I would like to take this opportunity to express my thanks for your very kind comments about the Culloden Estate and Spa.

I was delighted to learn that you found the hotel to be “hard to fault”.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and was sorry to leave! The rooms were excellent, very clean and comfortable also the staff were very efficient and friendly with out being too familiar. The locally sourced food was well cooked and served in a dinning room with a breathtaking view over Belfast Lough to the Antrim hills. Unfortunately I was unable to sample the delights of the spa but intend to do this on my next visit which hopefully will be very soon! Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and its staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Carolyn G

Dear Carolyn G

I would like to take this opportunity to express my thanks for your very kind comments about the Culloden Estate and Spa and particularly about our staff.

I was delighted to learn that you found our staff to be “very efficient and friendly without being too familiar”.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

We stayed here for one night, this is luxury in Belfast, beautiful gardens friendly staff and the best bed I have slept in. The food is excellent really good breakfast. I am sure the spa will be very good didn't have time to sample this.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear John S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your very kind comments regarding the Culloden Estate and Spa.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

The hotel is in a very picturesque location and the grounds are well cared for. My room was a bit dark, but otherwise very nice. The dining room allows the opportunity to look out over the sea while eating a locally sourced breakfast. The business centre has a strong wifi connection and plenty of space and options. However the key asset for the hotel is the staff, all the ones I met were polite, friendly and helpful

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Eddie M

I was delighted to learn that you found our staff to be a “key asset” within our hotel. It is always extremely rewarding to hear such positive feedback regarding the team within the hotel.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I stayed a couple of nights at the Culloden. The hotel is very nice and the spa is superb. The rooms are large and clean. The service is friendly and efficient. Unfortunately the food is very poor and below the hotel standard. Prices are competitive for the overall quality.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank new_world_travellers

Dear new_world_travellers

I was delighted to learn that you thought the Spa was “superb” and found the service to be “friendly and efficient”. Thus, following such positive comments, it was disappointing to learn that on this occasion, we failed to exceed your expectations with regard to the food served at the hotel.

At the Hastings Hotels Group we are passionate about food and believe that eating is one of life’s greatest pleasures. We embrace the use of carefully selected local and seasonal quality foods to enable our chefs to prepare and create the most delicious dishes in our kitchens.

I was disappointed that you felt the food was “below the hotel standard”, and in response to your review I will have this area monitored closely to ensure that all aspects of the hotel exceed guest expectations.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate and Spa in the near future.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

We had a three night stay at the Culloden as we we attending a birthday party in Holywood . The flight from Leeds was early and we were able to check our bags in to the hotel and head to the Titanic Quarter. On our return the bags had been placed in the room which was up graded to a suite. This was our second stay at this magnificent hotel, with manicured grounds and stunning views over Belfast Lough. The Crozier lounge is new a large bar yet intimate with small seating areas. The staff are attentive and knowledgable . The room was the same as we had been allocated on our last visit. When we returned each evening the bed was turned down curtains drawn, the lights turned on and a chocolate left on the beside table lovely touch. Breakfast was good with a variety of different cooked and cold food. The hotel was also had the pop group Mcbusted staying but this did not affect our stay as there were plenty of staff on duty. Overall the staff go the extra mile to make your stay special, and a valued guest.
We plan to return later with friends from Leeds so they can enjoy the Belfast hospitality in a truly amazing setting.
The Culloden more than justifies it's 5* rating . We are looking forward to our next trip in this relaxing and wonderful setting.

Kevin

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kevin D

Dear Kevin D

I was delighted to learn that you found the staff “attentive and knowledgeable”, and that they were always prepared to go that extra mile to exceed your expectations.

Mr James McGinn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holywood
Rayanne House
#2 of 2 in Holywood
Golden Mile
The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Ballygally Castle
#1 of 1 in Ballygally
Stormont Hotel
#13 of 46 in Belfast

Been to Culloden Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!