“Very nice hotel , swimming pool a bit of a let down”

Culloden Estate & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holywood
Manchester
“Very nice hotel , swimming pool a bit of a let down”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed there while visiting some friends in Belfast. The grounds and view were lovely. The cocktail bar served a great mojito. The restaurant was a let down for our daughter who had a burnt pizza that looked like it was not cooked. We were served really nice food and a wonderful smoked mackerel mousse. Followed by lamb which was very nice.
Breakfast is outstanding really outstanding wonderful food sourced from around Ireland very well cooked and presented. Offered more tea/Coffee etc.
The one thing that let this hotel down was on both morning - this was a weekend in July. People were banging on the doors to wake guests up. I actually went out at 8.30am on a Sunday and asked what the emergency was such was the frenzy of knocking. It woke us all up. I told told in no uncertain terms that a group were leaving and the staff needed to take their luggage up to the tour bus. This was very annoying. £200 for a 5 star hotel a night and not being able to sleep in because of staff checking luggage out of the rooms. Very poor.

Room Tip: make sure your not near any of the function rooms at the weekend this is a huge wedding venue (unles...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Polish first
Hampshire
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for a weekend to attend a wedding elsewhere.
Our room was very nice but one side of the bed the mattress was completely sunk in the middle so we had a rotten nights sleep. Complain the next morning and they promised to sort it out. When we returned at midnight they still hand't as the receptionist form the morning hadn't told anyone. We then had to move rooms and the second one was better. However no compensation was offfered.

Our room wasn't ready for check in until after 2.30pm which I think is a bit slow. Also service in the bar was appalling. Breakfast was a buffet but absolute chaos with a queue for tables 7 a fight to get tea and coffee and toast 9never got the toast)

Overall a poor experince. The grounds however are lovely but i don't think the hotel can cope when its full in the summer and beware of the big wedding parties that stay there as they take over.

Room Tip: Check the bed and mattress on check in.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tripersareus
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is is a beautiful place to stay, the grounds of the hotel are fantastic the beautiful view it has, the rooms are just amazing breakfast was yummy an could not fault it one bit! The staff are so helpful and friendly ! Will definitely be going back to this hotel! Good job all ;)

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Hannah S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked my wedding night here on May 18th 2013. I had been planning my wedding for 18 months and being a native of Belfast but living in England it was extremely important to me to arrange everything down to a T as a majority of my guests were coming from England and had never been in Northern Ireland before.

I contacted the hotel several months prior to my wedding to arrange a block booking of rooms so that I could offer my guests the chance of staying in one of Northern Ireland's top hotels and it was also the closest hotel to our wedding venue. This wasn't a problem I was in contact with the events team who booked the rooms and secured deposits for some of our guests. As a wedding gift our first night was paid for by friends so we decided to indulge ourselves and stay an extra day/night so we could use the spa facilities and make the most of our stay.

Two weeks before the wedding a friend who lives in Belfast had informed us that the spa was due to be refurbished and would not be open when we were there. We found this hard to believe as we had not be told or contacted about this matter. We spoke to some of our friends who had booked rooms for our wedding and they had not been contacted either. So my husband rang to esquire and was greeted by an abrupt and unhelpful male who simply said "there is nothing I can do except cancel your booking" now had this have been a month or two months before the wedding I would not have hesitated and cancelled the booking straight away and booked a room at the Merchant which was our other choice, however it is enough stress organizing a wedding let alone having to look for somewhere nice to stay two weeks before!

I then contacted a member of the events team who had arranged the booking in the beginning, she emailed me straight back saying that although the spa was closed it would be reopened on Sunday 19th of May. I was satisfied with this response as the Sunday was when we had planned to use it.

When are guests arrived at the hotel on the 17th they were informed that the spa facilities were not available till the following week, this was so disappointing and embarrassing as I had passed on the information that it would be open on the Sunday.

We arrived at the hotel after our wedding and to our suite which was average, to be honest nothing spectacular for a five star hotel. We had forgotten toothpaste and phoned down to get some which was brought to us for a charge of £1......now I know it's only £1 but when you have paid over £200 per night for a room the least you could have would be a small tube of toothpaste!!

We had a meal on the sunday evening in the restaurant and this is the only reason this review has gotten 3 stars because the meal was really nice and I enjoyed it.

When we left the hotel we did point out that we were disappointed not to have been told the facilities were out of service as this was the main reason we chose this hotel, the staff members simply smiled awkwardly and mumbled "yes its a shame" Before taking our £400 + payment!!

I have since emailed the manager and the person from the events team in the weeks since our stay and have had no response for either. I think this is really poor customer service and a real let down to belfast........5 stars I think not

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank leeca401
Banbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have just returned from an exceptional overnight stay in the Culloden, a great evening that everyone in our party enjoyed. We arrived at the hotel around 5.00 pm, and after a friendly, efficient checkin we were shown to our lovely rooms by Mark, a friendly concierge. After a quick change our group met again in the new Bishops Bar for a delicious cocktail before going to the Mitre Restaurant for dinner. Peter looked after us like VIP's all evening, from making our pre dinner cocktails, to taking our food order and recommending the wine. The food in the restaurant was delicious as normal, and this along with the excellent service from Peter and all the waiting staff made for an fabulous evening. I had the duck - it was fantastic, especially the jus and spinach that formed the base of my meal, thoroughly recommend it. As usual we finished dinner with the cheese board, a perfect end to a great evening.

After a great nights sleep we all enjoyed a delicious breakfast - from the wide selection of both hot and cold food. During our check out the staff displayed the same friendly, efficient approach we had experienced during our checkin and our entire stay. As we finished checking out and we were about to leave Craig, the operations manager inquired if we had enjoyed our stay. It was appreciated that even when the hotel was busy with quite a few well known celebrity guests that senior staff made the effort to check we had enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms are of a very high standard just some have the bonus of a scenic view if required
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

What lovely views from this hotel! The grounds are very attractive and well maintained.

The most impressive accolade would be the attentive and friendly staff. Nothing was ever too much trouble!

We booked a deluxe room but were a little disappointed as the room looked tired and in need of an update. However, our floor was due to be refurbished next!!!

I was very pleased with the gym and pool facilities. I kept myself busy here while my husband was working!

We had breakfast which was excellent. There was something to suit all tastes and staff very attentive.

In the evening we ate at the Cultra Inn. The food was outstanding and well presented I have to make a special mention of Laura who looked after us. She was so pleasant and obviously experienced in dealing with different customer's needs!

Well worth a visit!

• Stayed August 2013
LANCASHIRE
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We have just returned from a mini break in Belfast after staying in the Culloden Hotel. My mum and son had already stayed there so we had an idea it would be fabulous and it certainly didn't disappoint. I cannot make one negative comment about this estate and we hope to return again one day soon. Special thanks to Broderick in the bar (I think that was his name!) who looked after everyone so well despite a large group of demanding Americans wanting everything right now ! the staff are so polite and nothing was too much trouble. The breakfasts were absolutely amazing and I think we have all put on about half a stone! The views are amazing and I recommend an Irish coffee and afternoon tea whilst looking out across the beautiful grounds and the sea. Our trip was based around a visit to the Titanic building and dry dock due to my son's interest in everything Titanic and it was a fantastic base to go on day trips to see the delights the area has to offer. Take the train(which is 5 mins walk away from the Estate)and visit the Titanic building, Ulster Transport museum and Bangor marina. We will be back !!!

Room Tip: We had an Executive room which I think is the most basic but it was lovely, clean and more than adeq...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holywood
Rayanne House
#2 of 2 in Holywood
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
#1 of 1 in Crawfordsburn
Stormont Hotel
#10 of 44 in Belfast
Golden Mile
The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast

Been to Culloden Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!