“Pure class !”

Culloden Estate & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holywood
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We have just returned from a mini break in Belfast after staying in the Culloden Hotel. My mum and son had already stayed there so we had an idea it would be fabulous and it certainly didn't disappoint. I cannot make one negative comment about this estate and we hope to return again one day soon. Special thanks to Broderick in the bar (I think that was his name!) who looked after everyone so well despite a large group of demanding Americans wanting everything right now ! the staff are so polite and nothing was too much trouble. The breakfasts were absolutely amazing and I think we have all put on about half a stone! The views are amazing and I recommend an Irish coffee and afternoon tea whilst looking out across the beautiful grounds and the sea. Our trip was based around a visit to the Titanic building and dry dock due to my son's interest in everything Titanic and it was a fantastic base to go on day trips to see the delights the area has to offer. Take the train(which is 5 mins walk away from the Estate)and visit the Titanic building, Ulster Transport museum and Bangor marina. We will be back !!!

Room Tip: We had an Executive room which I think is the most basic but it was lovely, clean and more than adeq...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,806)

Reviewed August 4, 2013

While our stay in the hotel was great, thought the room may have been a little nicer, room 304 shower door water guard falling off and covered in mould! When we arrived we were asked would we like dinner reservations but were politely told the main hotel was pretty full but not booked out and told cultra inn may suit us better, I took this as an insult as we were both dressed down as we went for a relaxing break, smart casual! Felt like telling her I'm a very successful business woman but held my tongue as I thought she was saying we couldn't afford to eat there! My husband also got the same impression instantly! We did however eat in the cultra inn and the food was great but when I got my drink and the glass had pink lipstick marks on it I pointed this out and was told the dishwasher was playing up! I was then given a new glass and AGAIN the glass had lipstick on it! I didn't even want to say so my husband did and I was given a new drink in a clean glass this time, by the way our table by the window was being balanced on a roll of kitchen roll! I kept trying to put this to the back of my mind as everyone else in the hotel was fabulous (except the desk clerk) she should be very careful with what she says!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Eyebrowqueen
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed in the Bishops Suite for a Saturday night. The suite was lovely and spacious with great views but definitely needed some areas cleaning and the furniture was very badly marked which I'm not sure is acceptable when the rooms are so expensive.
All the staff were very pleasant and the grounds and public areas are beautiful.
I don't like giving anywhere three stars but the food really was disappointing, we had dinner in the Cultra both of our steaks were overdone and tasteless and the sides were all so greasy we didn't eat any of them are sent them all back. To be fair the manager dealt with it very nicely and we weren't charged for the sides or the supplements on the steaks.
Also breakfast wasn't great - I'm not fond of buffets which is just a personal thing but I was surprised by the quality of some of the food on offer - the sausages were cheap processed ones, the poached eggs were rock hard and the soda bread was also hard.
I would go back to the Culloden again and eat in the Mitra next time because it is a lovely building and has a very relaxing atmosphere but it would definitely have to be on a special offer rate because I don't feel the night was worth the amount of money we paid.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Looby36
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stunning property located just outside of Belfast. Beautifully maintained grounds and gardens. Rooms were well kept and beds were exceptionally comfortable. Friendly and accommodating staff. Lots of parking available. Wifi not included. Short and enjoyable walk to rocky beach. Pool was refreshing - locker room amenities were beyond expectations. Would have appreciated a fan in the room - as we were there during a heat wave and air conditioning was not available. Also would have appreciated screened windows - so that we could leave the windows open without the concern of bugs. Restaurant was very expensive £80 hot buffet breakfast for our family of 4. The Cultra Inn - restaurant on property offered good value for our evening meal.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HPfans
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Great room and good facilities. Staff ok, but our breakfast was a disaster - no service. no one showed us to a table. We got our own eventually. no milk - had to steal some from other table. No tomato sauce. We werent offered coffee or tea. Maybe we had a bad smell or someone famous was in the dining room at the time and got all the attention

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2013

If I was ever going to retire and live in Ireland this is where I'd do it...
The hotel is set inside huge estate that is green and landscaped tastefully...the hotel itself though old, is maintained really well...and its not over the top, but subtle and understated.
the plusses:
1. good sized rooms
2. nice bathrooms with toiletries from the white company
3.a variety of pillows
4. tea and coffee machines in the room
5. delicious breakfast with fresh honeydew melon, water melon, berry compote, fruit salad, kippers, salmon, salami, granola, muesli, yogurt, juices (apple, cranberry, orange), a good variety of Danish pastries, poached egg, scrambled egg, mushrooms, tomatoes, black/white pudding, sausage, bacon, fried potato bread, toasted soda bread
6. good wine selection
7. staff that is very friendly and efficient

the minuses
1. the big size tv has limited channels, and even then some don't work
2.bathooms aren't very big, and they do feel like they need another round of fixing up
3. the shower in the bathroom feels archaic
4.a 5Pound tray charge for anything in room service- though this is getting common now in Europe, its still feels unfair
5. room service menu is very limited
6. rooms get hot in the summer, got a very noisy fan from the hotel

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank amarbutala
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Location - set in beautiful gardens with mature trees. It's easy to forget you're so close to Belfast. From inside the hotel you can get a view of Belfast Lough too.
Check in - swift and efficient. Staff very pleasant
Room - we booked an executive room and asked for a quiet location. Our room was in the middle of the corridor so I was concerned that it wouldn't be quiet. The room was very clean however there were black marks on the wall beside the bed. There was a very large plasma tv on the wall in front of the bed although the back of the remote control was missing so the batteries fell out. The room description said the bed was to be king size but it was more like superking. There are 2 feather pillows and 2 foam pillows on the bed along with crisp white linen and a duvet. There are a few teas on the tray including earl grey and decaf but there wasn't any decaf coffee. There is a sign saying you can get fresh milk if you ask. There were 2 very tiny biscuits on the tray too. There is no blind or net curtain on the window which means you have to pull the blackout curtains to have privacy from those in the garden or the restaurant. The bathroom really disappointed me, it's like a bathroom in a 2 or 3 star motel type place. Very small, shower over the bath, tiles needed grouting and the shower screen was stained at the bottom. The marble at the bottom of the bath was also discoloured. The toiletries are the same as all Hastings hotels (The White Company). There is no air con so we just kept the windows open all night. There is no mini bar either. The hairdryer in the room is good quality so you don't need to bring your own. There is a shoe shine cloth, mending kit, shower cap and lovely big fluffy robes. There is an iPod docking stating which lights up neon blue, very annoying at night as I like to sleep in a dark room. I put it in the drawer ! Around 10pm we thought our door knocked but it was next door. Each door has a brass knocker on it which is nothing but annoying ! I noticed that room service breakfast is £20 extra if you're on B and B and a £5 tray charge.
The Crozier Lounge - a lovely bar lounge just past reception which overlooks the garden. A pint of Tennents lager is £5 in here and there is a small selection of snacks/meals on the menu. Very clean, relaxing, peaceful and the staff are excellent.
Breakfast - served in The Mitre Lounge. Ask for a table by the window and you will have a view of the garden extending out to Belfast Lough. There is fresh honeydew melon, water melon, berry compote, fruit salad, kippers, salmon, salami, granola, muesli, yogurt, juices (apple, cranberry, orange), a good variety of Danish pastries, poached egg, scrambled egg, mushrooms, tomatoes, black/white pudding, sausage, bacon, fried potato bread, toasted soda bread. So you just help yourself and the waiter brings tea or coffee to your table. It was all good except the soda bread was as hard as the road so beware if you have false teeth ! I saw other people with toast but it wasn't offered to us, nor did we want it. There were preserves in little open dishes on the table (butter, marmalade, jam). I love fried soda bread with an Ulster fry so breakfast disappointed me.
The Spa - super clean pool, jacuzzi area and changing rooms. The changing rooms have excellent powerful showers with ESPA shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. Also there: combs, shower caps, cleanser, toner, moisturiser, mouth wash, cotton wool pads, hairdryers, straighteners, a machine for drying out your swimsuit. Really excellent facilities. I didn't venture into the steam room or gym but the pool and jacuzzi were lovely.
Check out - swift and efficient
In short, the room just wasn't up to scratch for a 5 star hotel. If you want a similar spa hotel, try The Galgorm Resort and Spa.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bobby911
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holywood
Golden Mile
Stormont Hotel
#12 of 45 in Belfast
Ballygally Castle
#1 of 1 in Ballygally

Been to Culloden Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!