“Great Place to Stay.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Holywood
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Place to Stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

A beautiful hotel in a fabulous location. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The food was first class as was the service. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in.
All round a great experience and one I will repeat as soon as possible.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Had a one night stay at the Culloden and it was a really fantastic stay there. Room was great, beds were ohhhhhhhhh so comfortable, food was great and the grounds were picturesque. Spent a few hours at the Cultra Inn and it was just a lovely afternoon. Breakfast was also really good and we will be going back at Christmas time.

Go on treat your wife/girlfriend/partner to a stay at the Culloden, you won't regret it.

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We recently spent two nights at the Culloden Estate and it was a marvelous stay. The grounds overlooking Belfast Lough are picture perfect! The dining experience at both the Cultra Inn attached to Estate and the main dining room was superb. The staff are beyond helpful and the legendary Irish charm is evident. It was truly one of the highlights of our Irish tour. I cannot comment on children's activities or the Spa as we did not partake however the pool was lovely. I would suggest more of a couples get away than family stay.

craigavon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Just back after spending two nights in this beautiful hotel. A real touch of luxury excellent spa and more than friendly staff, good sense of humor, nothing too much trouble. First night we ate in the Cultra Inn. There were four of us, food OK, but my husband was very disappointed with the belly of pork .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lisburn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and I were really looking forward to our one night stay at Culloden for our best friend's wedding. It was also our first night away from our 6 month old baby so I thought nothing could spoil it!! How wrong was I???

When we checked into our room I was disappointed to see damp on the bathroom ceiling, the paint peeling away and brown water ring marks. Also the wooden panelling surrounding the toilet was decoloured black also from a damp problem it seems. Not what i expected from a 5* hotel but my husband convinced me to forget it because we had the wedding to attend and would not be spending much time in the room.

As we walked to the function room I noticed a smell in the corridor not unlike cat litter, very strange but ignored it as we couldn't wait to get to the wedding room. Later as we moved to residents bar after the wedding I asked others about the smell and they said it smelt more like damp.

During the main meal I left with my friend to return to the room to freshen up and I took my wine with me. We were gone for 15 minutes while I phoned home to check on the baby and freshened up, not getting time to drink my wine. My friend whom is pregnant also wanted a lie down.

When we returned to the function room we were in time for dessert and greeted by maitre d'. As I sat down and started my dessert the manager of the bar approached me in front of all the guests at our table and 'give off' to me for bringing my own wine from my room into the venue.
Needless to say I was extremely angry and spoke to him in private at the bar. He said that the maitre d' informed him. I was extremely upset and emotional and started to cry. Throughout the rest of our meal the maitre d' constantly circled our table and give us, which can only be described as, dirty looks. Only that I was so upset I would have said to him but he seemed so unapproachable and frequently shouted at the staff also.

My husband again convinced me to forget about it but as our friends started to arrive for evening party, once again the grumpy maitre d' approached. He told them that because they were not wedding guests that they had to retreat to bar and not bother the wedding guests. I found this extremely rude seeing as the meal was over and our friends just wanted a chat.

On checking out I was prepared to complain to reception however the bride and groom were beside us and we didn't want them to know and spoil their experience.

Good Points: Doorman and reception staff extremely nice. Breakfast the next day delicious and no problem when we asked to sit at a table of 6 with our friends. Bed very comfortable and white egyptian cotton sheets my favourite!

However due to our experience we will not be returning as we will always remember how we were treated when it was supposed to be a special night for us.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank CTW33
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Spent a week in this hotel in June.
A beautiful old world charm combines with a modern spa.
The staff appeared to genuinely want to go that extra mile to make you feel welcome.
We used the Cultra Inn a couple of times and found the staff their, led by Karen, to be equally accommodating.

Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
dewsbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stopped at this hotel in Belfast in april,the food was excellent,as was the spa,but the hotels great assett must be the staff,they are all local and ever so friendly they all take time to have craic with you ,be it the cleaners waitresses ,barstaff or managers they all take time to speak to you.....a great hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DewsburyGordonbrown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holywood
Merchant Hotel
Golden Mile
Europa Hotel - Belfast
Golden Mile
The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast

Been to Culloden Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!