“An absolute must!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Holywood
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“An absolute must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

My husband and I were amazed how polite, friendly and professional the young staff were.
The food we ate at dinner was out of this world and the breakfast was divine.
Ask for a table with a view if at all possible.
The grounds were also beautifully kept and we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

the best setting, hotel, room, spa, staff, food, it is just the best, even better it is 2 or 3 stops from the city (george best) airport, alighting in Cultra

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Dear Yermanonthemove

Thank you for taking the time to write to a review on Tripadvisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your very kind comments regarding the Culloden Estate & Spa.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate & Spa in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

When arriving at The magnificent Culloden House Hotel i was very warmly greeted by very charming and helpful reception staff,i immediately felt at home in this beautiful old world Palace,i stayed two nights in an executive room which had a king size bed and a single bed,with a lovely view over the gardens,the tv was about 44 " with dvd player,the bathroom was a little small but very nice and overall the room was great,the breakfast was first class with a large choice of options,Van Morrison was sitting opposite me on the first morning i thought thats a good start to my first day,all the staff in the Hotel are really friendly and very helpful and make you feel at home,the House itself is amazing inside,tonight i look forward to Dinner in the Mitre Restaurant with beautiful views over Belfast Lough.This is without doubt one of the nicest hotels i ever stayed at anywhere in Europe,i highly recommend a visit.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Dear Camillus

With regards to your review of your experience at the Culloden Estate & Spa, I would like to thank you for your recommendations.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your very kind words regarding the Culloden Estate & Spa. I was delighted to learn you had classed the hotel to be “without doubt one of the nicest hotels I ever stayed at anywhere in Europe”.

Your comments have been passed through to all our departments and has given our staff a very nice boost to morale, something which is always important to ensure the continuation of our five star service.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

We often hold our board meetings in this lovely hotel. In the last 2.5 years I have stayed approximately 8 times and always found the staff to be consistently helpful and never had a below par room. The bedrooms are very spacious and well equipped for the business traveller. The meeting rooms are also extremely comfortable and well equipped - though I do find myself getting distracted by the beautiful views (my inability to concentrate and not the hotel's fault!) The restaurant prices are expensive for an evening meal but the food is top quality - and I have also used room service and found it to be good food, swiftly delivered and well presented. I would love to come here for a leisure weekend if I got the chance as the facilities look as well cared for as the rest of the property.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear JAP25

Thank you for taking the time to write to a review on Tripadvisor, regarding your visits to the Culloden Estate & Spa.

We are dedicated to our staff training and development and we are forever striving to maintain our passionate commitment to excellent service.

I would like to thank you for your comments; we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate & Spa in the near future as both a business and leisure traveller.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

A beautiful hotel a short ride outside of Belfast's City Center. The hotel's setting is stunning and the public and private spaces are deserving of it's five star rating. Our room was huge with a very nice new bed and lots of storage space. The bathroom was all marble and included complimentary robes. The staff was very helpful and arranged dinners and taxis for us.

The public spaces are very pleasant. Breakfast, though a bit pricey, was very good (add some Bushmills to your porridge to start the day off right) and worth it for the views out to Belfast Lough. The Chapel Bar had comfy chairs and a roaring fire. We didn't eat at the Mitre Restaurant but did visit the Cultra Inn, twice, for the food and the nice bar. It was well worth the short trip down the hill.

The hotel was a great base to explore Belfast. It is located right next to the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum which was well worth a visit. It was a short tax trip into the City Center or the Titanic Quarter.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the Lough.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jewel1547

I would like to take this opportunity to express my thanks for your very kind comments about the Culloden Estate & Spa.

I was delighted to learn that you found hotel to be “a great base to explore Belfast”.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

We went for a midweek two night break in early Decemeber and had a wonderful stay. On check in we were upgraded to a junior suite as it was our wedding anniversary which was a lovely treat - the room was fabulous. The hotel is old world with lovely fire places and nicely decorated for Christmas.
We had an absolutely delicious meal in the Mitre Inn - the food was extremely tasty. there were only a few tables occupied as it was a quiet Monday, so the staff were very attentive and friendly and really went out of their way to make it a special evening.
Despite the fact that breakfast was served in the same restaurant, it wasn't the same. It was fine, but not something as special.
We had a slightly disappointing dinner in the Cultra Inn the 2nd night - the steaks came served alone on a wooden board with no sides or sauce (the waitress hadn't mentioned we needed to order them separately). While the Mitre is dearer, we felt it was much better value for money.
Regarding the bedrooms, our first one had a very annoying whistling window whenever the wind blew, which kept us awake at night. However, the staff were very helpful and moved us to another lovely suite for the 2nd night.
Everyone was very friendly and welcoming and we really enjoyed our first stay and will look forward to coming back again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if its a special occasion.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dublin18
Dear Dublin 18

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on tripadvisor for the Culloden Estate & Spa.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your very kind words regarding the Culloden Hotel. I was delighted to learn you had classed us to be the “Perfect hotel for a romantic getaway”.

I would like to thank you for your constructive criticism regarding your dinner experience, I have spoken with the Cultra Inn Manager who was equally displeased to learn that your server had not mention that sides would be served separately, although we do have a description of each dish printed on the menu.

Once again, please accept our apologies for the maintenance issue you experienced with your bedroom, I was pleased that this was quickly rectified by the staff members but disappointed that you had this experience.

I genuinely thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and I would like to ensure you that I will be closely monitoring standards being provided over the coming months.

I would like to thank you once again for your comments; I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate & Spa in the near future.

Holywoood
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

On Christmas Eve my friend and I decided to celebrate Christmas by having a Cocktail in the Culloden Hotel, a place we have both frequented over the past thirty years! On entering the hotel we were greeted by staff wishing us a Merry Xmas then disaster, the head waiter asked us what we wanted and we informed him just a cocktail! Abruptly and rudley he informed us there were no available tables and we would have to leave and go elsewhere! We were shocked by his attitude, season of goodwill - bah humbug not in the Culloden!!!!! I would appreciate your response.

Linda Wilson (Mrs)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank LindaHolywood
Dear Mrs Wilson

I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor regarding your experience at the Culloden Estate & Spa.

We at the Hastings Culloden Estate & Spa, take each complaint we receive extremely seriously. We would like the opportunity to carryout a full investigation but this can only be done if we are presented with all the facts.

In order for us to deal with you comments, it would be necessary for us to discuss your review in greater length, I would welcome this opportunity.

Stephen Meldrum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holywood
Rayanne House
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
#1 of 1 in Crawfordsburn
Golden Mile
Europa Hotel - Belfast

Been to Culloden Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!