Culverden Guest House
Queens Hotel(Paignton)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I do a lot of business travel and have done for a number of years. Out of all the many places I've stayed the Culverden Guest House in Paignton is by far my best experience in terms of service and value you for money. You can stay at the Premier Inn, Travelodge etc but, in my opinion, you won't get the same level of service that you would from Miranda and Paul. Honestly folks, if you're reading this with the intentions of vacating in Paignton or even heading there on a business trip I would highly recommend the Culverden Guest House. Thanks again for your hospitality M&P! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I am extremely difficult to accommodate and like things to be right! This guest house was the most friendly and welcoming I have ever stayed at. The entire place is spotless (I also had a snoop around), the showers were powerful and the water always hot. There was the feminine touch at every turn, cotton-wool buds, shampoos, toiletries, the lot! The owners deserve four stars just for their commitment and friendliness. And then there was the jewel in the crown, the breakfasts!! I counted nine different items on the plate itself, which was accompanied by tea, toast, jams, fruit juices and cereals. I saved a tenner by not having to buy any lunch!! This hotel is the business!! I will be advising anyone and everybody I know to experience this gem of a B & B for themselves. Well done Paul and Miranda, we will be visiting soon.

Room Tip: Ask bout the family room, it`s massive!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I spent one night here on a SWCP walk; stayed in a single room that was very well equipped in addition to being clean and with a 'new feel' to it - seemed to have been renovated recently.

The bathroom was in the corridor, but it was a pleasant surprise for a single room to have a very big private bathroom with an excellent shower - great after a long day's walk to have some space to hang clothes. A bathrobe was provided for late night walks; this was much appreciated.

The proprietors were very helpful and friendly and dealt very well with my particular dietary needs.

There is a guest lounge which was also new, clean and inviting; with some books and games to use.

The wall to the neighbouring room was quite thin and the guests, unfortunately, very noisy in the late evening as well as in the middle of the night (on their return from a club I assume). The proprietors said that they would happily be woken up to deal with it if it happens again, so don't hesitate if it happens to you!

I recommend it and would stay there again if I go there.

Room Tip: Not sure if there are more than one single room but if you're travelling on your own ask for the room with the big private bathroom.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I stayed at this guest house as I was attending the Historic Oldway Mansion for a Argentine Tango festival and it was within easy walking distance. I have always stayed in large hotels and now I have no idea why as this was the warmest welcome I have ever received from anywhere I have ever stayed! Nothing was too much trouble and the atmosphere was very relaxed, friendly and it felt like you were part of their family and friends. I only wish I could've stayed longer to unwind and relax a little bit more and make the most of being so close to the sea front. I hope I get the chance to return again sooner rather than later!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2011

stayed here for 2 nights while in the area at the end of september during our honeymoon. we checked in late and the owner, miranda was very understanding and helped us get parked and up to our room as we had a lot of bags and our 18 month old too!

the room was a good size, the one at the front with the balcony, and had enough room to get our cot in too. lovely facilities, great breakfast and very welcoming. overall a great place to stay and the pub over the road had a really good live band on the friday night, food and drinks were good and the owner and staff were all very friendly. would definately stay here again if in the area

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family