“Below Average”

The Holmans Courtyard cafe
Ranked #88 of 187 Restaurants in Paignton
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I ate here three times in the past week and only one meal was really good. The other two were very much below average. Everything is high priced compared to a lot of other restaurants in town in the main tourist areas. It is located in a side alley off the main street. The atmosphere is nice as you have a choice of eating inside the ordering area, under a glass covered porch, or outside under an umbrella. However, the food leaves a lot to be desired. I had a cottage pie that was about 98% potatoes. The pulled pork sandwich another time only had a few chunks of pork and was mostly cheese. They have a 5 star hygiene rating posted, but I found a hair in my peas. It seems the restaurant is favored by mostly locals but I would not consider this a hidden gem by any means, and definitely would not recommend it.

2  Thank ERIC S

Reviewed July 4, 2014

The best burger I have ever had, I travelled 100 miles from Bournemouth to eat it, the service is great and the food all homemade and fresh and with a reasonable price , I cant recommend this place enough, all people that are thinking of starting a good café should visit and learn.

1  Thank Simon F
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This little cafe is tucked away off an alley in Central Paignton. This morning I decided to visit for a cooked breakfast. I chose the £4.95 deal that comes with tea included. This is not just a cup but a proper tea pot with additional jug of hot water too! Also included was toast with butter portions and marmalade. The breakfast comes with fried bread too but I guess if you asked them they would switch that to regular toast they would. A good breakfast that was just a little let down by the poor "catering" quality sausage. A Lincolnshire style sausage from a local butcher would be far nice and memorable option. Yes, it would cost more and I understand you are doing it for a price but with a really yummy sausage like some places have people would appreciate the difference.
The place was bright and clean - rated a "5" I noticed by the local council. The staff were attentive and friendly. I understand that the main meals
options were truly "homemade" so a return visit will be on the horizon in the near future.

1  Thank Stew T
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I love everything about this little café. The homemade food couldn't be better, the service is friendly and quick, it's just great. The courtyard is lovely in the summer months and even though its situated in the centre of Paignton you wouldn't no it, its quiet and peaceful in the back streets. Couldn't recommend it any higher. Extremely reasonable too.

1  Thank AngG1974
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My wife and I visited this cafe for our lunch whilst on a short break to Paignton Devon.
I have to say that this is one of the best burgers that I have ever eaten, it was cooked to perfection. When I asked where did you get your Berger's from the answer is everything is home made on the premises. This is the kind of place that you need to go to hungry.The meal was substantial. Brilliant coffee to. The premises was clean, warm and welcoming. A definite place to go out of the way to eat at. Kind regards Gordon and Jennifer Ames.

2  Thank Gordon A