“Had better”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Palace Hotel

Palace Hotel
Ranked #26 of 181 Restaurants in Paignton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Had better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Been a few times for "special occasions" food has been excellent but pricey, staff don't seem to be confident around the restaurant, getting in each other's way etc, quite pricey in my opinion for what you get, dining room looks lovely, not very friendly

3 Thank JancyMonteiro
DuchyLee, General Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Good afternoon. I am delighted that food has always been excellent on all special occasions that you have enjoyed at The Palace and I am delighted that you continue to return.
Our food is all homemade and locally sourced where possible. We use the finest ingredients that we can and offer a full six course evening meal for £24.95 in our beautiful sea view Paris Restaurant. I am unsure why you find this to be too expensive, as we feel it represents fantastic value for money in the highest rated three star hotel in Paignton.
Your comments about the dining room looking lovely are appreciated. We have our award winning Christmas decorations up for the festive period and are glad that you appreciate the classy approach we have taken.
Our staff are far from getting in one another’s way. A small team off six work very efficiently together to ensure the highest standard of service is achieved for over one hundred people every single evening.

Pontypool, United Kingdom
“Weekend break”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and was really looking forward to staying here as we had already been to the sister hotels.
There was a few things at this hotel that we were really disappointed with, mainly the food, as it was not as good as their other hotels, nothing really exciting, pork, lamb,just the plain things. We were told to be careful with the plates as they were hot, which they were but the food was always only warm, strange.
The entertainment was awful, Friday was a swing singer when he said he was going for a break everyone else did, they went to bed. Saturday was a duo and they were worse people took to playing cards.
Would we return here only if they had a really good deal. The queens would be our first choice and then the Headlands.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank welshgirl4031
Good afternoon. Firstly I am delighted that you enjoy our Queens and Headland hotels so much and that you continue to return to us.
I am disappointed however that you did not have a similarly positive experience at our Palace Hotel.
Your comments about our food being not very exciting are quite perplexing as both our a la carte and table d’hôte menus offer a wide variety of diverse and appetising dishes. For example, just this week our table’dhote menu has had ‘Roast Barbary Duck Breast served with a Honey & Balsamic Glaze’ and our a la carte has hosted ‘Mango & Brie Parcels’, ‘Pan Fried Scallops’ & ‘Venison Steak in a Red Wine Jus’.
With regards to the entertainment, we try and match the atmosphere of the hotel and at The Palace it commands a more sedate and refined atmosphere.
Each of our three hotels has a unique ambiance and if you prefer that of the Queens or Headland the more warm and atmospheric ambiance that these hotels provide may be better suited to your wishes.
I do hope you plan on returning to our group, and look forward to seeing you at The Queens or Headland before too long.
Loughborough
“Short break made very comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

The staff here are so helpful and courteous. I am here fir a short break.staying in a standard room, but the abilities are much more than just comfortable. It's quiet and peaceful, yet a short wal from the town centre. It's sometimes difficult to book, only because so many people I have spoken to return here time after time. I recommend this hotel. The food here is very good and they are punching above their weight. Very tasty and satisfying with a wide range to choose from.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank John T
DuchyLee, General Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Good morning, thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely review. I am delighted that you found our staff to be so friendly and courteous during your stay.
I am also thrilled that you enjoy our restaurant menu and the variety that we are able to provide. All dishes on our menu are homemade and locally sourced where possible and it is wonderful to hear that you feel we are exceeding expectations.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Palace again soon.

Lee Cullen
Senior General Manager
Duchy Hotels
Paignton, United Kingdom
“Such a lovely place, but food could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have reviewed The Palace Hotel, Paignton, on several occasions; it is a place with which we are very familiar. However, while it has a super setting on Paignton's sea front, a cheerful and welcoming staff led by a jovial manager, delightful conservatory for day time meals (and a restaurant for Sunday lunches and evening meals) and because it is spotlessly clean, the one thing - and it's a rather big one - which lets it down sometimes (although not always) is the food.

Now, we know this is a three star hotel and not a fine-dining restaurant, and the meals are not expensive, so we are not expecting Michelin-starred cuisine. At the other end of the culinary spectrum, neither are we expecting food which more closely resembles school dinner (or what we remember school dinner to have been like.) At a family lunch this week, my husband chose a chicken pie which he said was "OK". But had I been faced with the mountain of mashed potato on my plate that was on his, my appetite would have quickly vanished. Similarly, the huge bowlful of spaghetti carbonara which one of our sons had chosen. I asked him what it was like and he said, "Like spaghetti, with bits of bacon in it." Thankfully I chose battered cod loin (which always comes with chips and mushy peas.) Not the healthiest of meals, but at least this is something we have had regularly at the Palace and it is something the kitchen brigade can manage fairly successfully - the fish is always fresh, and the chips nicely cooked and crisp.

Why then, you may ask, do we return to The Palace if the food doesn't always measure up? Because hope springs eternal, I suppose! We keep hoping that the food will really improve - this summer a dedicated fish menu was devised, and we have enjoyed two of the meals from that, although for one of them - sea bass on a medley of Mediterranean vegetables - Chef had been a trifle heavy-handed with the oil. The other reason we return is simply because we like the place, we like the staff and the pleasant conservatory (or veranda when the weather permits) in which we have our meal.

To sum up: do try the Palace but our advice is to stick either with the cheese platter, fish and chips, or sandwiches - their club crab sandwiches, which come with crisps and salad, are delicious. So, when it comes to cooking and presentation, let's not have any more unsightly dollops of lumpy mash next to anaemic-looking pastry, or thickly sliced carrots - juliennes look so much more appetizing and would take less time to cook. Dear Palace Hotel, you know you can do better, so let's see you up your game.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank MargaretTotnes
Good morning.
I must say that I am shocked that you have decided to leave a disappointing review of our hotel, especially after reviewing on many other occasions and contradicting what you have previously stated.
I have to take issue with the fact that our food looks like ‘school dinner’. Our team of professional chefs work very hard to ensure that all of the dishes that we produce for both our table d’hote and a la carte menus are of the highest quality.
They do this by using the finest quality, locally sourced ingredients and ensuring everything is freshly prepared.
With regard to your recent meal, if your husband would have preferred a smaller portion we would gladly have obliged his request and your sons comments about spaghetti carbonara are quite accurate, the dish is comprised of spaghetti and bacon, quintessentially, this is what the dish entails.
I do not understand why you did not raise these issues with the manager of any of the staff and instead have opted to post your comments on trip advisor. At the time, we could happily of done everything possible to appease your expectations.
Please do not feel that we need your critique of our food as we are capable of ascertaining one from the professional bodies that have already awarded the hotel the highest rated three star hotel in Torbay.
If you only return because you like the view, i am sure there will be plenty of other sea view establishments that would welcome your business.

S. Furness
Owner
Derby, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Excellent choice for Sunday lunch. Old fashioned proper service and cracking food at a good price.Lovely position overlooking the green and out to sea. Take coffee on th terrace.

Visited September 2013
Good evening, thank you for taking the time to leave your positive review.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch with us and found the food to be of such a high standard. All of our menu options are homemade and locally sourced where possible and I am glad that the quality of this showed during your dining experience.
It is also wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the service you received as our staff really do pride themselves on delivering first class customer service. I will share your words with them all and I am sure they will be delighted.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Palace Hotel soon.

Lee Cullen