“Fantastic service, awesome food.”
Review of East in the West

East in the West
Ranked #9 of 188 Restaurants in Paignton
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We went as a party of 9 last minute and found the restaurant could fit us in due to a cancellation. I am so glad they cancelled! Service was fantastic, especially as we had 3 children with 1 toddler. The food was awesome and probably one of the nicest curries I have tasted in a while. The decor is great too creating a nice ambience. Loved it!

1  Thank JRHartley1978

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have been to many Indian restaurants across the globe, and can safely say the food at this one was up with the best! Beautifully authentic dishes, great mood, and lovely wait staff. I look forward to going back and trying some more of the menu - would highly recommend the Chicken Chettinad.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I would absolutely recommend a visit here. I'm a great curry fan and I live near London so have a large choice of restaurants. I would say the food here was up with the best I have ever had. The service was friendly, although slow, but the food was worth waiting for. It was also very refreshing to have ladies working in the restaurant.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Reading past reviews its difficult for me to comprehend why my boyfriend and I received such terrible service. The food was beautiful but when we booked the table the gentleman on the phone was very short and not very chatty at all. When we arrived it took 10 minutes to even be offered a menu and a further 10 minutes to be offered drinks. When we ordered starters (poppadoms and onion bhaji's) it took 25 minutes for the food to get to our table. The wine list was vast but only 3 wines were available by the glass which was a big let down as I do enjoy a glass of wine with my meal, me and my boyfriend are only a young couple and even though they did have two small groups in that night having worked in the hospitality industry for a few years both as a waitress in a Michelin star restaurant and in a 4 star hotel, for me there is no excuse for poor service and putting one group of people before another, each paying customer should be as important as the last, a feeling I didn't get here and it cost us £33 for the privilege.
Wonderful food but won't be returning, sorry.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Visited East in the West a couple of days ago while on holiday in Paignton. Phoned up to book and the staff member on the phone didn't seem enthusiastic in the slightest. We put this behind us and proceeded to the restaurant. Upon arrival we noticed that it wasn't busy and was around 50% capacity. We waited at the front door ready for a staff member to show us to our seats and was told to carry on up the stairs to be seated. We were shown to a table and then we had to wait for about 10mins to be asked whether we wanted a drink. There were only 2 glasses of white, 1 glass of red and no glasses of rosé on the drinks menu. More options of each were only available by the bottle. After having our drinks for a while our order for starters were taken then about 5mins later our mains order was taken. After waiting for 25mins our starters finally arrived. We shared popadoms and i had onion bhajis, which were well presented and tasted gorgeous. Soon after we had finished our starters the mains arrived where they had got my order wrong (I wanted chicken tikka korma instead of just chicken). This was then taken back to the kitchen and a fresh one was produced. My korma had a bit too much saffron in as well as a saffron bead which I hate, however the dish was more than edible so I felt no need to complain. My girlfriend had chicken tikka masala which we both loved and agreed it was the best we had ever tasted at any restaurant before. The service is slow and the place is disorganised. The staff need to try a little better on the customer service side as well as smile and have a bit more of a conversation with the customers. Apart from that the food was great. The restaurant has a lovely decor and is situated in an ideal position in Paignton. For the chicken tikka masala, korma, glass of wine and a pint of Cobra it cost £33 so averaged priced. It was just the customer service which let this restaurant down.