“Silver DofE Exped, Assessed - Torbay & Torquay”
Review of Reach Outdoors

Reach Outdoors
Ranked #1 of 7 Tours in Paignton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Reach Outdoors provides outstanding Adventure for all. No previous experience is necessary as our highly experienced and qualified instructors will safely manage your session ensuring you learn skills and most importantly have great fun along the way! Reach Outdoors have won the certificate of Excellence in every year of operation since its inception in 2012. We have won the Gold award for the best activity or sporting experience in the Devon tourism awards in both 2014 and 2016.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

From the 14th -16th June 2013 we had our Open Silver DofE Assessed/Qualifying Expedition. After 2 years of battling with 2 cadet forces and my local DofE centre I was in desperate need of my qualifying expedition and Reach Outdoors truly were my saving grace!

Communication and organisation were brilliant and the expedition was delivered so well by a very professional company. They struck the perfect balance of a self-sufficient expedition but still keeping check on us at regular checkpoints. The campsites which were booked for us were perfect in both location and size and Rachel (Mayhew) and Ash (Hone) led us through some great sessions of consolidation of the days' events during the evening once the tents were pitched. These were very useful in developing skills like campcraft and navigation. Our expedition aim was realistic and both guided us very well in achieving it. Our team of 5 was a great size, perfect for an expedition in this area. They helped us in producing routes which were challenging yet achievable and definitely made us sweat! But this gave us a great sense of achievement by the end of it - walking approx. 40 km in 3 days is no mean feat.

The Reach Outdoors team not only helped me turn the page on what has been a very long Silver DofE Award, but also helped me learn some new skills, make new friends and certainly made me fitter! A big shout out to Rachel, Ash and Rich who have got a great company going and really did cover all the angles on our expedition, ranging all the way from efficiency and organisation to experience and knowledge. If you need to get the expedition section of your DofE sorted, I would definitely recommend Reach Outdoors as the guys to do it with. I have done many expeditions through DofE, various Cadet forces and on my travels, and I can say in full confidence that my DofE expedition with Reach Outdoors was the most professional, organised, welcoming and friendly expedition I have been on. I will seriously consider coming back for my gold award!

Luke Vassor, 17

"a bit worried"
"wet suits"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Reach Outdoors came and ran a residential camp for our Second Form, over 2 nights and two days, letting them experience bushcraft, climbing, orienteering, pioneering, kayaking and teambuilding. They also threw in a generous amount of wide games and walks in the local area. The pupils thoroughly enjoyed all the activities, and they were buzzing throughout.

The Reach Staff themselves were amazing, not only super keen and incredibly knowledgeable in the areas they were operating in, but also they were fantastic with our pupils. They struck up a great relationship with the pupils from the offset, and this was echoed throughout the camp. Similarly they made the lives of our school staff so much easier by being super organised, always coming up with ideas, and always wanting to be involved.

I was so impressed, as was all of the staff team that worked with Reach. Their boundless enthusiasm and excellent range of skills perfectly fulfilled our requirements, and I am planning to book them for the same activity next year.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

As a teacher it is important to ensure that the pupils in my class have positive experiences that not only provide an educational experience but also a range of personal achievements and challenges unique to each individual. Reach provided an excellent service tailored to the unique needs of my class. All of the students engaged, learned and most of all really enjoyed and looked forward to each week. Students over came individual fears, supported each other developed team skills and where able to meet personal goals. Reach provided a balanced range of physical and mental challenges that included orienteering, coastering, kayaking, raising money for charity, problem solving and team work. Student's really enjoyed the experience gaining a sense of achievement and reward. Reach also provided all paper work requirements involved in facilitating a school group including the completion of an ASDAN award. I can with out doubt highly recommend REACH outdoors to schools business groups and individuals looking for a challenge excitement and fun.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Last week we had our Duke of Edinburgh Practice Expedition which lasted for 4 days. We did out expedition in Dartmoor in the blistering heat! We found out about reach outdoors on the D of E website and I'm so glad we picked reach outdoors they were fantastic. Our supervisor Rachael was brilliant! She was so organised and made sure that everyone knew what they were doing. Every evening Rachael would check the tents are up, that we've eaten and that the craft camp was good. In the evening we had a group discussion about how the day went and what we should expect from the next day. I would recommend reach outdoors to anyone who is doing their Duke of Edinburgh. They are so friendly, organised, professional and helpful.