“Loved it all”

The Clifton At Paignton
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paignton
The Clifton At Paignton
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Halle
“Loved it all”
Reviewed December 23, 2008

My 86 year old mother and I had the good fortune to "discover" the Clifton at Paignton through the Paignton Town website. We travelled from near Bristol by train and found the Hotel very easy to get to from the station. My mother was getting over a nasty fall she'd had the month before so that was very useful. We discovered the bus station was also quite near the train station and from there we did excursions to Dartmouth,Totnes,Cockington and Torquay. We had a lovely day out in Brixham ,which we got to by boat from pretty Paignton harbour. I was able to persuade my mother to walk across the cliffs from Paignton to a wonderful family beach at Goodrington and get the bus back. One weekend we were fortunate enough to experience a bikers' meeting and enjoyed seeing all the stands, donkey rides etc. The weather was good, the beaches clean and attractive and there were lots of attractions of all kinds for all ages and persuasions on the English Riviera. As to The Clifton I consider it a "pearl" of a find and should we have the good fortune to find ourselves in the English Riviera again my mother and I both agree we would stay there again and again. The room we had was comfortable and well appointed. If we needed anything at all e.g. more coffee; milk etc. our requests were always dealt with in a friendly ,efficient manner by either our host or hostess. They were welcoming right from the start and couldn't have been more helpful. The lounge area was relaxing to be in ,as was the dining room and the food, both breakfasts and evening meals, was really excellent. We ate out once in Totnes in a very high class Hotel but decided it wasn't a patch on The Clifton and from then on ate in every evening. The choice was imaginative, fresh, and when possible local produce was used. It was, without exception, plentiful and very well cooked by our host. I also chose The Clifton because it was a non-smoking, vegetarian Hotel. I shall be recommending this Hotel to family and friends as very good value for money and a not to be missed experience.

• Liked — The friendliness and excellent home-cooked food
  • Disliked — liked it all
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sydney
Reviewed June 30, 2008

The English Rivera? Give me a break!
Paignton is a seedy tourist trap. Full of greasy fast food joints or slot machine places. Did not like this town at all.
The Clfton is in a time warp. The foyer is a throwback to 1950.. Old lounges and wallpaper. The room we had was clean and airy and a good sized bathroom but it was on the 3rd floor overlooking the desperate residential backyards below.
Breakfast was ok but the lady of the house really was a fusspot and would not leave you alone. 4/10

Stayed May 2008