“nice farm but terrible food”
Review of Occombe Farm

Occombe Farm
Ranked #13 of 35 things to do in Paignton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This organic, working farm on the edge of Paignton is open to the public 7 days a week. You can see farm animals including cows, sheep, chickens, pigs and alpacas, and walk a lovely 2km nature trail with a bird hide. Our Farm Cafe serves local produce and seasonal dishes and there is a kids play area outside. Visit the beautiful kitchen garden with a wartime allotment and air raid shelter. The farm is run by local charity Torbay Coast and Countryside Trust with all profits going to support its conservation and education work. The Trust run a selection of chargeable events throughout the year at Occombe and it's other sites, so please check the website for details of what's going on before you arrive. Free parking!
Reviewed October 1, 2013

me and my partner thought we would go into occombe farm for food we had a occombe breakfast, but I ordered a veggie breakfast and ended up with a meat one. anyway my plate was just full of grease just a puddle of it as I lifted the bacon to give to my partner we where so shocked to see more grease dripping from the bacon and mushrooms . at nearly £8 a breakfast we was very disappointed and expected more than what was given to us. I must say out of all of the breakfast we have ever had this is by far the worst no care or attention to customers food at all highly disappointed......wont be going back.

33  Thank tarb2013
Julian C, Manager at Occombe Farm, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Please accept our apologies for the error where you received a meat breakfast instead of a veggie one, it was our fault entirely, and we would have been more than happy to swop it to a veggie one for you.

With regards to the grease dripping from bacon and mushrooms; the bacon is dry cured (best quality from our farm butcher) and not prone to be greasy, it is cooked on a griddle, no fat is added to the cooking. The mushrooms however are cooked/fried in butter, it may well have been that the chef may have overdone the butter on this occasion causing the greasy effect.

These complaints have been brought up and discussed with the cafe manager and the kitchen manager, and your comments have been taken on board. We will endeavour to work on these in the future and hope you will try us again so we can try and give you a better impression of our quality local food.

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We were at the end of our holiday and decided to take out boys age 8 and 4 for a couple of hours. First impression was fantastic. Lovely small play area with cafe. However as in previous reviews the food prices are extortionate. There is a cafe menu outside before you enter the farm. I had read previous reviews so knew I wouldn't be eating here. The nature trail quiz was fun and the walk was lovely. However, if you are going just to see animals please be aware there aren't many!!!

12  Thank Sam2102
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The actual farm was very good, the nature trail was fun for our two children and the ride-along tractors provided at least an hour of great fun! What ruined the day was 1. The wasps in the picnic area, making it impossible for our children to eat their lunch and 2 going to the cafe so they could have something to eat in a wasp free environment. We were charged £25 for two kids meals (our eldest son is 7 and our youngest 1) we asked for a small bowl of pasta for our baby and they charged an extortionate amount! I made my poor husband go and complain as I wish he hadn't paid what he did, the manager refunded us £7, but still we felt slightly cheated. I suppose that's how they make their money as they don't charge an entry fee but just beware!

12  Thank Kingfisher201

Thank you for the kind comments about the farm, we’re glad that you all enjoyed the nature trail and play tractors. Wasps are a naturally occurring part of our site biodiversity, being on a farm in the country, though we understand they can be a nuisance. We are sorry you did not feel you got value for money in the café. Two children’s meals should not have cost £25 as all children’s meals are £5.50 and under (the pasta being £4.50 per portion), so we’re not quite sure how that could have occurred. We will of course investigate this with the café, make sure correct till procedure is always being followed and see if there’s anything we can do to improve. We hope that you visit the farm again in the future, and we hope to make a better impression then.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We had a great time with lots to do.
We were introduced to the animals, chickens, alpacas, pigs, sheep, goats and ruby red Devon cattle, my grandchildren 5 and 3 really enjoyed themselves.
We then watched people cooking.
The children enjoyed colouring activities and we watched older children pedal energy bikes - this taught children about energy.
We then went on a nature trail walk, great fun.
We then went to the kitchen garden and wartime allotment, we sat in the Anderson shelter, my grand children were fascinated by this.

The café and farm shop was delightful with lots of choice.
Highly recommend a visit.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

It is a lovely open farm with a beautiful woodland walk, which has a nature trail to keep the children occupied. It has gardens and a 'dig for victory' garden with an Anderson shelter which my son was fascinated by. There is also a lovely farm shop and tea room which does a delicious cream tea.
Well worth a visit if you are staying in the Torbay area

1  Thank Pam C